A little pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Awhile back I bought a few cases of Groebel corned beef points @ $1.99 / lbs. I love points over flats and often they are hard to find around here. Short lost as I didn't take pics along the way. Used Meatheads Katz clone rub recipe. Smoked with cherry wood to 205F , chilled a few days and hand sliced thin to medium. When heated for a sandwich with Swiss it's as tender as butter. I'll be doing a few more of these soon to fill the freezer with some more ready to roll pastrami.
PXL_20231025_195035037.jpg

Some good looking pastrami Jeff. I could go for a grilled Reuben about now.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: jcam222
Awhile back I bought a few cases of Groebel corned beef points @ $1.99 / lbs. I love points over flats and often they are hard to find around here. Short lost as I didn't take pics along the way. Used Meatheads Katz clone rub recipe. Smoked with cherry wood to 205F , chilled a few days and hand sliced thin to medium. When heated for a sandwich with Swiss it's as tender as butter. I'll be doing a few more of these soon to fill the freezer with some more ready to roll pastrami. View attachment 679436
Beautiful.

Awhile back I bought a few cases of Groebel corned beef points @ $1.99 / lbs. I love points over flats and often they are hard to find around here. Short lost as I didn't take pics along the way. Used Meatheads Katz clone rub recipe. Smoked with cherry wood to 205F , chilled a few days and hand sliced thin to medium. When heated for a sandwich with Swiss it's as tender as butter. I'll be doing a few more of these soon to fill the freezer with some more ready to roll pastrami. View attachment 679436
You know, I've always wondered where do the points go? Are they just ground down for burger? There is a large market out there that would scoop them up in a heartbeat. I'm sure the answer is simple.

That will make for some great sandwiches, just need the rye and some mustard!

- Jason

Nice Jeff, have one that I soaked and spiced in the freezer. Need to smoke it, never thought to slice and freeze after the smoke in portions like you did (I know Duh).

That's a well marbled piece of meat.
I'm sure it's making for some good pastrami.
Make me a 'wich when you get a chance. I got the kosher pickles.

Really nice Jeff . Now you need some homemade mustard .
I saw a show the other day where they used beef neck for the pastrami . Really marbled like what you have .

Nice Jeff, have one that I soaked and spiced in the freezer. Need to smoke it, never thought to slice and freeze after the smoke in portions like you did (I know Duh).
Cliff I actually froze this one whole and sliced when thawed. That said I usually do slice it first and pack in 1 pound packs.

Great looking stuff. I bet it does make some killer sammichs!
Jim

Hell of a price for that! Nice find! Pastrami looks outstanding!

Looks great

Some good looking pastrami Jeff. I could go for a grilled Reuben about now.

Point for sure
Chris

Beautiful.

That will make for some great sandwiches, just need the rye and some mustard!

- Jason

Nice work Jeff. Will make outstanding sannies.

That's a well marbled piece of meat.
I'm sure it's making for some good pastrami.
Make me a 'wich when you get a chance. I got the kosher pickles.
Thanks guys! I meant to do a nice sandwich shot but got busy. It made great sandwiches with some Swiss and a homemade cole slaw. The marbling in the points is great which is why I prefer them. If they run this special again I'll buy at least 3 cases.

Really nice Jeff . Now you need some homemade mustard .
I saw a show the other day where they used beef neck for the pastrami . Really marbled like what you have .
Thanks Rich. Funny you mention homemade mustard. I actually added hot mustard to my list of potential next sauce projects.

added hot mustard to my list of potential next sauce projects.
I made some from the thread noboundaries posted . I mashed up a few to many seeds and soaked it longer than needed . It was " grated horseradish hot " , but I couldn't stop eating it after it toned down a bit .

Groebels brand was my choice for years, and my Sam's store carried both flats and points. A couple of years ago the corned beef was branded Member's Mark (their house brand) and I've always suspected that Groebels is packaging it for them. One difference on the flats is they are a little thicker and heavier than the Groebels brand.

Looks great Jeff! Excellent marbling like said above. I've never seen Points available around here. Would get some if I could. That's a good idea to freeze after smoking into individual packs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky