Firehouse Smoked/Sous Vide Goose Pastrami!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Wow! Best goose pastrami I have ever made!
IMG_20231010_233149_01.jpg

Pulled out a 10# bag of Canada goose breasts about 15 days ago. Trimmed them up clean, and put them to dry cure in the fridge for 14 days. I pulled them out yesterday, rinsed and coated with Brandy then Pastrami Rub. Inda smokehouse @130-160*F for 3 hours with oak and cherry wood to get some smoke on them. Pulled them out after 3 hours; vac sealed and in the sous vide bath for 24 hours @131*F. Sliced some up tonight for sandwiches with the guys. Dark Rye bread, swiss cheese, creole mustard and cole slaw on the side (so I can really pile the pastrami high on the sandwich!! LOL!!)

IMG_20231010_175144.jpg

IMG_20231010_175158.jpg

Oh my....this was excellent! Bet we polished off about 5# of it. Still have some bags left vac sealed for future meals...

Damn does that look good, what a sammie.
And that first sliced pic is something else, wow!

One of these days I'll acquire a Sous vide machine.
Can't lie.....I ate two sandwiches tonight. Certainly not trying to push sous vide on you, but just knowing how much wild game you cook I know it would be a game changer for you.

Reactions: JLeonard
I hate Canada geese with a passion. You folks shooting them are my heros. Too bad they don't have suburban seasons on them here in Va or I'd clean out my neighborhood with a quickness. And man that pastrami looks killer!!

I hate Canada geese with a passion. You folks shooting them are my heros. Too bad they don't have suburban seasons on them here in Va or I'd clean out my neighborhood with a quickness. And man that pastrami looks killer!!
I especially love when one goes nuts and chases someone in the parking lot here at work......

When I leave late at night, I don't slow down for geese crossing. The quicker I get to them, the quicker they move out of the way. I haven't clobbered one yet, but there is always tomorrow.

WOW, that first shot like John said , perfect

David

Almost makes me want to take up goose hunting...Or firefighting. Just to get a chance to put away a sammich like that!

Jim

Just WOW!!!!!

Looks great
Thanks guys!

Any bb’s in the meat? That is what turned me off of eating waterfowl. Not going to risk a root canal over a piece of liver.. guessing the slim slicing takes care of the bb problem.. it sure looks excellent

Any bb’s in the meat? That is what turned me off of eating waterfowl. Not going to risk a root canal over a piece of liver.. guessing the slim slicing takes care of the bb problem.. it sure looks excellent
liver?? When cooked right, this is nothing like liver. More like beef.

And you are correct, that is the reason for the thin slicing; to look for BB's. We found none, but I always warn people to check the meat well as they build their sandwich.

Fantastic looking pastrami Inda

Point for sure
Chris

On point right there! That is by far my favorite way to make goose. I've only ever done them with a wet brine/soak and then smoke only. I'll try your sous vide on the next batch! Nice job!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky