My Pastrami Obsession

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
man, i can't believe i didn't find this thread until today. i made some pretty bangin' pastrami from eye of round (35 lbs that time around), but that is pretty lean so i only cooked it to maybe 135f. this time it'll be brisket. i've never been to nyc, so i really don't have a comparison except to the round the supermarket sells. i did find a recipe for 'russian dressing' that everyone likes - sour cream, sweet chili sauce, garlic and horseradish.

thanks for the link - am definitely going to check that out.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Anyone use a beef navel instead of brisket?
I got 1/4 navel left in freezer that I could try using for pastrami instead of beef bacon.
Yes. I've been trying with a steer navel. Tastes very good, but it is falling apart when I slice it. Certainly not slicing as nice as Katz's or Langer's. A work in progress.

Attachments

• 20211211_221434.jpg
    20211211_221434.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211211_220709.jpg
    20211211_220709.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: edmonds and 02ebz06
Yes. I've been trying with a steer navel. Tastes very good, but it is falling apart when I slice it. Certainly not slicing as nice as Katz's or Langer's. A work in progress.
I'd be very happy with a sandwich made with that. :emoji_thumbsup:

I have something a wee bit different working for Sir Spooks perusal. It's beef, it's got traditional pickling spices and a little extra ground coriander in the bag and I'm going with a simple black pepper rub, but I haven't seen one of these cuts corned/pastramified. Fair warning, it's extremely lean AND contains a nice layer of what I consider the 2nd best beef fat.

I have something a wee bit different working for Sir Spooks perusal. It's beef, it's got traditional pickling spices and a little extra ground coriander in the bag and I'm going with a simple black pepper rub, but I haven't seen one of these cuts corned/pastramified. Fair warning, it's extremely lean AND contains a nice layer of what I consider the 2nd best beef fat.
Until you can say that you have, in fact, had a Katz's or 2nd Avenue deli pastrami sandwich, you will just never understand.

thats a fair statement. having a hard time justifying $40 a pound though.
It all depends on what is important to you. Also, some things priced at $40 a pound, are actually worth it, while other things priced at $40 a pound, are not, and never will be.

But at least you would know what a real pastrami, is.

It all depends on what is important to you. Also, some things priced at $40 a pound, are actually worth it, while other things priced at $40 a pound, are not, and never will be.

But at least you would know what a real pastrami, is.
true. i've spent more $$$ on dumber shit i suppose

$40 / lb is high. But even brisket at some of the best BBQ places in Texas is high, though maybe not as much.
Pecan Lodge (Dallas) $30
Pinkerton (Houston) $30
Truth (Houston) $34

Also, Katz's in Texas for over 40 years?
Probably not affiliated with New York's Katz's Delicatessen.
I've been there before in Houston - decent pastrami. I asked if it came from NY and they said it was made locally but couldn't (or wouldn't) say where.

OMG. Cruising this site turns me into Ricochet Rabbit. I wanna try making everything. Definitely will try the Tri Tip. I can surely attest to Katz being the best. Never been to NYC but ordered online(Fantastic) and had it in Vegas(a little disappointed to be honest. But it was late and I was hammered).
Slymans is the best in Cleveland. I have used the "close to Katz" recipe and the corned beef brine from Amazing Ribs. Have only used Brisket Point and Flat but I am very intrigued about the Tri Tip. Hopefully I can find it around here. IMO the Best Sandwich ever is a Hot Pastrami with swiss cheese, raw onion and chopped liver on grilled rye. Oh, man its Pastrami time. Wait, after I make CrankyBuzzards beef chorizo!!!!!!!

I did watch a video of Kratz's a long time ago either on the Food Network or You Tube. They did say and show that they used the beef navel ( not brisket ) for their pastrami.. Don't know if the beef navel cut has a point and flat?? Looked like the size of a whole brisket but maybe a little thinner. Video/ show was surprisingly pretty detailed on their pastrami and curing/cooking process. If I ever find the video again I'll post a link to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Culinary Otter
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky