Corned Beef or Pastrami? How about both

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dr rat

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 27, 2011
Wanted something a little different for Christmas Eve so I decided to do corn beef and thought what the heck might as well do pastrami too. so turned one of the corned beef that I bought into pastrami.
Soaked it overnight to try and remove some of the salt then rubbed it up and put it on 240 for about 7 1/2 hours.
A little bit of leftovers but not to much so I did a Scrooge and wouldn’t let any go.
I love left overs corned beef hash tomorrow am then thin sliced pastrami on the Blackstone with Swiss and some sauerkraut on a roll or some sourdough bread.
4C817EE8-9285-4F3F-85C6-A02158EAE4FF.jpeg
474FB434-54F3-49EB-9561-A2A70290B897.jpeg
50118832-75D1-484A-B65E-BB3BE76D3A59.jpeg
54E5820A-BD28-44DC-9AB3-6BCEC7D4887F.jpeg

And washed it down with this grinch cocktail
068E5E3D-5F48-412B-A529-D2BD1A5FF031.jpeg

Daughter informed me a few days ago she really likes corned beef and pastrami.
That will be on the menu for next Christmas. Anything to avoid turkey and ham.
Need to plan ahead as I am not paying $10/# for corned beef.

Planned to smoke a 3# pork butt today for carnitas, but came down with the flu last night.
It got oven baked. Wife loved it.

Reactions: dr rat
DrR. Nice color on that strami

Point for sure
Chris

Sooo…..what time do I need to be there for a sammich and will drinks be served?
looks really good from here!

Jim

Looks really good. I could go for a sandwich tomorrow too!
Thank you!
Nice! Looks perfectly prepared. What is in the cocktail?
The wife says it’s a Grinch drink with 2oz vodka, 2oz orange juice, 2 oz pineapple juice and 1/2oz blue curaçao they garnish with cherries I didn’t wait for those
Mike
DrR. Nice color on that strami

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris!
Mike

Reactions: Steve H
Daughter informed me a few days ago she really likes corned beef and pastrami.
That will be on the menu for next Christmas. Anything to avoid turkey and ham.
Need to plan ahead as I am not paying $10/# for corned beef.

Planned to smoke a 3# pork butt today for carnitas, but came down with the flu last night.
It got oven baked. Wife loved it.
Sorry you came down with the flu during the holidays that’s kind of a downer but yeah I’m tired of the same old ham turkey routine so we mixed it up this year we always try to do something different seems like it went over well and I sure love the leftovers.
That’s a crazy price for corned beef
Mike

Reactions: Fueling Around
Sooo…..what time do I need to be there for a sammich and will drinks be served?
looks really good from here!

Jim
Jim,
Not too sure on timing for the afternoon sandwiches I’m full from breakfast you’re welcome to come over and of course there’s always cocktails involved!
Wasn’t quite sure what I was gonna make for breakfast but went with eggs, corned beef,
AA68C0D9-9684-4266-87BE-E40E9A0C5D59.jpeg
47DE473E-B5C2-4290-92E9-EC9159ADE2F0.jpeg
B2244114-78A8-4195-A23D-D1C2CC4275D9.png
Swiss cheese on sourdough sandwiches with hashbrowns

Reactions: JLeonard
I LOVE pastrami and corned beef.
Every March, I will go the day after and buy up a bunch of the left over corned beef packages that go on sale after St. Paddy's day. Then I smoke a few and freeze the rest.

One of my favorites is to make a Pastrami and Provolone cheese steak.
Basically, it's exactly like making a philly cheese steak, except using pastrami instead of steak.
The only other difference is to add a bit of yellow or golden mustard.
Delicious!

Reactions: dr rat and JLeonard
Nice Job!!!

- Jason

Thanks Jason
Mike

I LOVE pastrami and corned beef.
Every March, I will go the day after and buy up a bunch of the left over corned beef packages that go on sale after St. Paddy's day. Then I smoke a few and freeze the rest.

One of my favorites is to make a Pastrami and Provolone cheese steak.
Basically, it's exactly like making a philly cheese steak, except using pastrami instead of steak.
The only other difference is to add a bit of yellow or golden mustard.
Delicious!
I love it too. I don’t do much corned beef in the summer. I try not to turn the oven on in the summer months (runs like 100) from mid June to sept.
But do pastrami throughout the year
I love doing all kinds of different takes on Philly cheesesteaks from Chicken to Pastrami, roast beef and toppings of cheese mushrooms peppers onions love it all!
Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky