2012 Masterbuilt Smokers - NEW 30" & 40" Models!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It will be very interesting too see what FedEx delivers to me today, then. I ordered one from Sam's a few days ago to give my son for Christmas. Everything I saw when ordering it looked like the old model to me.

Tracking claims it'll be here today. :D

I hope it's the new improved version! But I ordered it assuming it'd be the old version. I guess we'll soon see!

Phoned in.

Mine new 40 should be delivered this Friday.  When I ordered it from Sam's I made sure to use the store number for the new generation, like Sigmo time will tell.

Gary

OK. Mine arrived just now, and it's the old version. However, I spoke with customer service and they said I should be able to take it to the local Sam's and they would take it back and re-order a new version one to be drop shipped, again to my place.

I'll think about that and ask the folks at the store if that's really OK. On the one hand, I got what I ordered. Sam's didn't do anything wrong. On the other hand if they don't have an issue with swapping an unopened old model for a new one, it might be worth doing it (from my perspective) .

I'm just not sure the person on the phone understood exactly what the situation is.

Either way, I know my son will enjoy the smoker. The Amazin pellet burner kit is on the way, too, for it.

It should make a good setup either way. :thumbup:

Phoned in.

OK. Mine arrived just now, and it's the old version. However, I spoke with customer service and they said I should be able to take it to the local Sam's and they would take it back and re-order a new version one to be drop shipped, again to my place.
I'll think about that and ask the folks at the store if that's really OK. On the one hand, I got what I ordered. Sam's didn't do anything wrong. On the other hand if they don't have an issue with swapping an unopened old model for a new one, it might be worth doing it (from my perspective) .
I'm just not sure the person on the phone understood exactly what the situation is.
Either way, I know my son will enjoy the smoker. The Amazin pellet burner kit is on the way, too, for it.
It should make a good setup either way. :thumbup:
Phoned in.
maybe some one who has had both models can give you some insight on which version they think is better.... me I always think newer the better, which is probably not always true

Just picked up another smoker at Gander Mountain today. MES30...my first electric. Good price at $129.99. They had 17 yesterday and today at 8:30 I was lucky to get the last one. Black Friday started today....I bought this to smoke sausage and for overnight butts and briskets. Looking forward to getting it seasoned and doing a little smoke to get things started.....Linda thinks I am nuts buying another smoker......LOL...I told her a man should have as many smokers as a lady has pairs of shoes.... 
laugh1.gif

My new MES40 from Sam's came yesterday and it is the new model.  I seasoned it late in the afternoon and have some jerky in the tumbler now for the first test.  I also have multiple probes set up to see how even the temps are.  I will post the outcome later when the jerky is done

Gary

My new MES40 from Sam's came yesterday and it is the new model.  I seasoned it late in the afternoon and have some jerky in the tumbler now for the first test.  I also have multiple probes set up to see how even the temps are.  I will post the outcome later when the jerky is done

Gary
Hey Gary,

How did the jerky turn out and what were the results of the temp test?

maybe some one who has had both models can give you some insight on which version they think is better.... me I always think newer the better, which is probably not always true
I have the old version of the MES 30.  I saw both at Bass Pro Shop and here is my take on gen1 vs gen2.

Improvements in gen2 - a) chrome racks are thicker gauge and are mounted better to the inside.b) back panel is recessed and seems better fit.  c) control panel on the front just seems to make more sense and it is lower profile. d) not sure on this one but I think the inside light is a LED.  e) drip pan is in front on the gen2 and back on the gen1.

Overall I kind of like the new one a little better but I bought the old one cuz it was on sale.  I am quite happy.  

First post on this great forum...however LONG time reader.

Does anyone else have a comparison with the newer 2012 model (30 or 40)?

I wen to Sams and picked up what I thought was the new model, but soon realized that it was the old one.  I ordered the new one (correct model # on Sams website).  It will be here next week.  I will then take back the least best (I'm sure they are both great).

Just would like some feed back from people that have used both, or people who have used the newer model.

Thanks all!

I have the old version of the MES 30.  I saw both at Bass Pro Shop and here is my take on gen1 vs gen2.

Improvements in gen2 - a) chrome racks are thicker gauge and are mounted better to the inside.b) back panel is recessed and seems better fit.  c) control panel on the front just seems to make more sense and it is lower profile. d) not sure on this one but I think the inside light is a LED.  e) drip pan is in front on the gen2 and back on the gen1.

Overall I kind of like the new one a little better but I bought the old one cuz it was on sale.  I am quite happy.  
Thanks for this input.  Are there others things you like about the new 2012 over the old?

I got the 30 for xmas ..last night I seasoned it ..ewww talk about smell ...I was glad to get some chips in it ... today going to try a chicken in it ...bought 2 boston buts for next week ...GOTARACE there is a vent on the top left side.  I really like the remote and the LED Light ..being able to walk around the house and keep an eye on it ..meat probe is nice too (if it really works)

I got the 30 for xmas ..last night I seasoned it ..ewww talk about smell ...I was glad to get some chips in it ... today going to try a chicken in it ...bought 2 boston buts for next week ...GOTARACE there is a vent on the top left side.  I really like the remote and the LED Light ..being able to walk around the house and keep an eye on it ..meat probe is nice too (if it really works)
Did you follow the instruction season method or try something else?  I did the instruction method, and was wondering if anyone else did it differently?

Reactions: electricsmoker
Did you follow the instruction season method or try something else?  I did the instruction method, and was wondering if anyone else did it differently?
I did it like the book said ... did you notice the smell before u added the chips ... also I am wondering about cleaning the window ... any idears ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky