New smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Congrats! I leave my pellets in all the time, it is under a cover area and I don’t put a cover on it. Our area runs an average humidity of 45 to 55 and I haven’t had an issue……

I’m thinking more about Michigan winters and it staying outside but under its regular cover. Can get pretty damp in the snow right?

Snowy times are actually pretty dry air especially if sustained cold. It’s the freeze thaw under heavy humidity. I never changed my pellets in North Dakota and my smoker was out in the open with just a standard cover…..

Snowy times are actually pretty dry air especially if sustained cold. It’s the freeze thaw under heavy humidity. I never changed my pellets in North Dakota and my smoker was out in the open with just a standard cover…..

Ok cool, thanks for the info. Besides the recteq pellets are there any other ones that are recommended or not recommended? Or is a pellet just a pellet?

Ok cool, thanks for the info. Besides the recteq pellets are there any other ones that are recommended or not recommended? Or is a pellet just a pellet?
I always liked Lumberjack pellets, generally 100% of the wood they say they are. Most others say a type of wood but when you look harder they are also filled with other "hardwoods". I have read that recteq pellets are not the greatest....just what I have read.

When it comes to food grade pellets some are better than others. I burn LOTs (currently 70-80lbs a month) of pellets so price point is important to me. I have used lil devils and Costco brand…

Reactions: chopsaw
I burn a lot of pellets also . I like B&B , both for the price and the performance .
I buy whatever is on sale or a good price and use those to top off long cooks , or mix in .
I leave my hopper full year round , even though mine has a dump on the bottom of the hopper . Last summer I found a closeout on Pit Boss charcoal pellets and bought 60 pounds . I use those as filler in with the better pellets .

B&B pellets seem readily available locally so I’ll probably start there. My parents have a Costco membership so that’s an option too.

Any special ways of storing ones not in the hopper? Airtight container? Inside the house? Inside the garage?

Any special ways of storing ones not in the hopper? Airtight container? Inside the house? Inside the garage?
Don't store them in your house. Wood pellets will set off your carbon monoxide detector. Unopened bags can be stored in a garage on top of a skid or something similar. You don't really want them lying on a cement floor. Opened bags if they aren't going to be used in the near future should be stored in an airtight container to prevent moisture.

Reactions: civilsmoker
B&B pellets seem readily available locally so I’ll probably start there. My parents have a Costco membership so that’s an option too.

This bucket is a bit pricy but well made basket. Pellets can be dusty.

I got a bunch of screw top 5 gal pails from a friend. Check around as they are widely used.
You can also order just the lids to snap on a common 5 gallon pail

This bucket is a bit pricy but well made basket. ...
That is more than a "bit" pricey.

I leave mine in the garage , or out on the patio under cover . I also have some tupperware containers out there . I don't do anything special , but I use them up pretty fast .
B&B pellets seem readily available locally so I’ll probably start there.
Look for the Championship blend . I like those the best .

Anyone try the pit boss “blends”? Seems they have a blend and then they have individual kinds but those also say “hickory blend”.

There is also some bear mountain type and the kingsford ones that are infused or something? Like garlic onion paprika pellets?

Also saw a royal oak brand that was 100 percent charcoal pellets. That idea seemed odd to me.

These were all at Lowe’s, I have a Lowe’s gift card burning a hole in my pocket lol.

Anyone try the pit boss “blends”? Seems they have a blend and then they have individual kinds but those also say “hickory blend”.

There is also some bear mountain type and the kingsford ones that are infused or something? Like garlic onion paprika pellets?

Also saw a royal oak brand that was 100 percent charcoal pellets. That idea seemed odd to me.

These were all at Lowe’s, I have a Lowe’s gift card burning a hole in my pocket lol.
The pit boss are okay but the have a lot of dust in each bag. Not saying do not buy Pit Boss but do a good cleaning afterwards.
Bear mountain are better than pit boss.
Kingsford hickory is about equivalent to Bear Mountain. They do have less ash than BM.
Oklahoma Joe's hickory is my favorite.
The one I want to try is Lumber Jack.
The competition blinds or those with similar names usually have a lighter smoke flavor.
I blend my own. 50% Hickory to 50% Pecan which is about the same blend I use on my wood burner.
Sales are common on pellets so keep and eye out. Do your own test to see what you like before heavily stocking. If you put them in a bucket, cut the label off, and put in the bucket for a reminder.

I haven't used PitBoss pellets. My SIL bought a Cabelas rebranded PitBoss and the salesman told him to avoid PitBoss pellets ( go figure). Cabelas pellets used to be Lumberjack which are very reliable pellets.
I did a search and there is a number of Lumberjack dealers in the Detroit area such as Family Farm & Home.
I like Lumberjack pellets, but local dealers don't carry the whole line. They do carry the char-hickory which is charcoal and hickory. I wasn't impressed with that flaor at all.
I used to custom blend Lumberjack pellets, but after a few years, I didn't feel it was worth the effort.
Tried the Smokehouse from Sam's. Price was great, but the flavor wasn't there for me.
I use Bear Mountain oak as my main fuel in the pooper. Used to get it cheaper than Lumberjack and I really liked the smell and flavor. The local dealer's price jumped enough to make me rethink
Always looking for the better mousetrap.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky