MES30 reading much higher than Smoke X

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnyftw

Original poster
Nov 26, 2023
Just finished putting together my second MES30, first one died after just over 2 years of faithful service. New one out of the box would barely char the chips in the tray even after fiddling with it and dealing with MB customer support, so it now has the cold smoker kit installed...along with a rear handle, wheel/leg kit, and I splurged for the Thermoworks Smoke X setup after dealing with app/bluetooth/probe issues on my iGrill2. Customer support's fix was sending me a whole new chip tray assembly, not sure if it came with a new element, never even opened the box because they took weeks to get to this point and I had already ordered and installed the cold smoke kit.

Anyway, first smoke was chicken breasts. The MES30 was set to 225f, but showing temp swings of 150-170 on the SmokeX. Bumped it to 250, started seeing 170-190 on the TW, chicken stalled around 120. This was early afternoon, outside temp in the mid 60s, low winds. After three and a half hours and dinner time looming, finally just moved the chicken breasts to the oven and got them up to 150 for a few mins before pulling. The SmokeX ambient probe is in the middle of the top rack towards the back. No water pan installed since I don't use it, foiled drip tray sits on the rack under the meat. The door latch is adjusted properly for the door to fully seal, vent is wide open at all times. Not sure what the problem is, but I can say that MB cold smoke kit works quite well.

I really, really don't want to deal with MB customer support again so I'm wondering if there are any known fixes or mods to address this, or if I'm doing something wrong here. If I can remember, tomorrow I'll boil the SmokeX ambient probe to make sure it's not lying to me.

Yep, start with testing Smoke X probe and go from there.
$150 Auber PID will take away a lot of MB headaches if can't get it figured out.
Welcome to the forum !

Reactions: johnnyftw
Yep, start with testing Smoke X probe and go from there.
$150 Auber PID will take away a lot of MB headaches if can't get it figured out.
Welcome to the forum !

Will do.

I see Auber has a PID controller on sale for $179.99 that apparently works with Masterbuilts, I'm just not sure I want to dump any more money in to this MES30. I do have the top controller from my last MES30, saved it and the grates just in case, might swap that on and see if it makes any difference, assuming the SmokeX ambient probe tests out fine.

This is the one many of us use if decide to go this route. Good luck, got some good help on here if needed.

Darn link didn't post

How does that controller interface/work with something like an MES30? Does it plug in to where the MES30 controller is plugged in on the top/rear of the smoker?

How does that controller interface/work with something like an MES30? Does it plug in to where the MES30 controller is plugged in on the top/rear of the smoker?
A simple rewiring and you plug the MES cord into the PID. tallbm tallbm can help with this.

Reactions: tallbm
A simple rewiring and you plug the MES cord into the PID. tallbm tallbm can help with this.

After reading through that guide, it looks like the rewiring job converts the MES30 in to a simple on or off device that can now have its power cable plugged in to the back of the PID controller, which will turn the MES30 on/off based on configured temp and what the new sensor reads...it won't use the MES sensors at all, and the MES30 controller is effectively disabled. Sound about right?

After reading through that guide, it looks like the rewiring job converts the MES30 in to a simple on or off device that can now have its power cable plugged in to the back of the PID controller, which will turn the MES30 on/off based on configured temp and what the new sensor reads...it won't use the MES sensors at all, and the MES30 controller is effectively disabled. Sound about right?
Hi there and welcome!

This is correct!

The problem with the MES units is the poor electronics and electrical components like the wire connectors that want to corrode away soooooo fast.
The strength is the solid body, insulation, and the dumb element that does not actually fail very often on it's own.

So if you do the simple rewire to eliminate all those problems you can slap on a PID controller and that will control your smoker a bajillion times better.

The PID will hit and hold your temps dead on, or like within 1-2 degrees. No, temp swings, no failure to hit temps, etc. Also with such tight control you can confidently do sausage, bacon, and jerky without the worry of a high temp swing ruining things!

If you still have your old MES30 hanging around you could bring it back to life and have it performing better than a $1,000 electric smoker would!

One more nice thing, is that the Auber units the guys have linked will also work with an MES40 should you decide to upgrade.

See the best MES unit to me is an MES40 you get for cheap or free that you rewire and slap a PID on.
Once you do the rewire and swap out things like the cheap electrical wire spades for quality high temp ones (costs like $5-7 in replacement spades) and slap a PID on it, you will basically be able to keep your MES unit running through anything short of it getting hit by a car or it getting stolen :D

Let us know if you have any questions about this and hopefully you can be up and running hassle free in no time :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky