2012 Masterbuilt Smokers - NEW 30" & 40" Models!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I did it like the book said ... did you notice the smell before u added the chips ... also I am wondering about cleaning the window ... any idears ?
Smell was horrible.  Like the old toy trains that burned 3in1 oil!

I clean the window while still warm with wet paper towel.  No chemicals.  If it is bad, I've used a razor blade as noted here before.

Your pics were great on the roll call!  Great job!

Did you follow the instruction season method or try something else?  I did the instruction method, and was wondering if anyone else did it differently?

I gave mine considerably more time initially burning the oil off of the heating element and metalwork surrounding the heater because it was smoking a lot with no chips in the unit yet.
I set the temp to its highest setting, and I left the door ajar during the first hour of the de-stinking procedure.

With the door ajar, the heating element must run full bore because the temperature cannot reach the setpoint.

This has the advantages of forcing the heater and surrounding metalwork up to the highest possible temperature to better burn off the oils, and with the door open, less of that vile burned oil residue will deposit inside the smoker to taint the flavors of your first smoked meals.

After the first hour, most of the oil is burned off so then I closed the unit and proceeded with the recommended seasoning.

Smell was horrible.  Like the old toy trains that burned 3in1 oil!

I clean the window while still warm with wet paper towel.  No chemicals.  If it is bad, I've used a razor blade as noted here before.

Your pics were great on the roll call!  Great job!

Ahh. Toy trains burning 3 in one oil! Now that brings back memories! That DID stink!

also I am wondering about cleaning the window ... any idears ?
If you have a window on your smoker here are some cleaning tips for that from

Bearcaver.

1. Cleaning it while it is still warm works best.                                                                                       

2. No chemicals are used at all. Use some wet paper towels and the left over ash from your

woodchip tray. What you want to do is get about 6 paper towels. Take two of them, and ball them

up & run water on them to get them a little less than dripping wet. Then open your woodchip tray,

and dab one side of those two balled wet towels into the ashes. Also individually ball 3 other

paper towels, and get them less than dripping wet. Keep the other paper towel dry.

3. All you do is put the wet paper towels with the ashes on, against the glass & scrub it just like you

would scrub any window, until the whole thing is smeared up.

4. Then using the other wet paper towels one at a time, keep wiping the glass. It will get cleaner

with each wet paper towel. How many wet paper towels it takes will depend on how dirty it was to

begin with.

5. Then when it looks clean enough to you, buff it with the dry paper towel-----Done!

I have a MES40 old gen 2011 that I bought at Sam's.  Was a little upset when I found out they just put the new gens in my Sam's store.  Anyway, I ordered the new gen from Sam's and the store manager said I could bring the old one in (bought 12/24/12).

Anyone had experience with both?  Should I stick with the gen 1 or keep the gen 2?

Thanks for any input!

I have a MES40 old gen 2011 that I bought at Sam's.  Was a little upset when I found out they just put the new gens in my Sam's store.  Anyway, I ordered the new gen from Sam's and the store manager said I could bring the old one in (bought 12/24/12).

Anyone had experience with both?  Should I stick with the gen 1 or keep the gen 2?

Thanks for any input!

bump

I own both

The New 2012 has a few nice features, but the hinge absolutely SUCKS

1st wind, and the hinge is bent

I'm working on a review side x side, but not done yet

If you can get the new model for the same price, I would go for it

Make sure you buy the extended warranty!!!

Masterbuilt's factory warranty is only 90 days.....

TJ

I own both

TJ
Thanks for the input, that is good to hear!

Anything specific that you like?  How do you like the built in drip "collector" 

Also, do you use an AMNPS?  And if so, does it work just as well in the gen 2?

hey guys... I've had both and I just now am trying to get used to the new model. One thing I don't like is the amount of air flow from that side vent. Doesn't seem to allow enough flow and smoke kinda hanging around inside the smoke box. As for complaints about the old ones not smoking that certainly is not the case with the new ones. Chips flare up on a regular basis so I'm going to using small chunks and I'm getting a great amount of smoke. Front control panel is nice, remote is nice, and racks seem to have a better finish. Maybe it's just that I have gotten used to the old 1 and it's little quirks but if I had my way I'd take the old style. Already called mb service to get a new control box as temps were way off ......over 40 degrees. One good thing is she heats up real quick and recovers much faster.

Last edited:
Sorry about that last post guys........... sent from android and I dont even know what the hell it says.

Thanks for the input, that is good to hear!

Anything specific that you like?  How do you like the built in drip "collector" 

Also, do you use an AMNPS?  And if so, does it work just as well in the gen 2?

I've also heard that airflow is an issue on the new model

The vent is now on the side, and the slightest wind will cause the unit to back draft

I plan on installing an elbow and chimney to help it draft

Not sure about chips igniting in mine, cuz I don't use chips in the chip tray

Masterbuilt had a recall on the new 2012 MES because the chips were catching fire

If you do not dump 100% of the chips into the chip pan, they land on the element and a heat shield right below the element.  A little dangerous, if you ask me!

Also, I've heard complaints about the controller in front collecting moisture, when the door opens.

I'm not 100% sold on the new 2012 MES yet

TJ

Just an Old Car Guy opinion but, I never buy the first Model year...You never know how fast they rushed to production...JJ

This is making me feel better that I ended up with the old model when I ordered the one for my son. He's loving it, and since we both have the same model, we can share advice and have it be exactly applicable.

Thanks for the reports, everyone.

Phoned in.

One other thing I've noticed with the new model is difference in heat from left side to right.  Smoked some CB last week and I had cut a loin in three sections and placed them on the third rack from the bottom.  I was only looking for an IT of about 140 degrees.  I put the redi chek probe in the middle loin as I had all three pieces lined up side by side by side.  When I hit 140 on the middle loin I went down to check all three and the one on the left side of the rack showed 134 and the one on the right was 144.  Now I know that all meats, even from the same loin can cook at different temps, so I did two 6.5 lb butts side by side and same issue............. the one on the left was consistenly behind the one on the right and when I pulled out the right one at 192 degrees the left one was only at 183.  Thats some pretty high heat coming straight up off of the element.  I believe all that the old model needed was a higher wattage element and a more accurate temp sensor along with a remote and she would have been great.  That side vent really sucks in my opinion and we need to start getting some mods going for these things.  I'm ready to hole saw the top of the unit and put in another adjustable vent but want to make sure where the wiring runs first. The opening on the side vent needs to be widened and the intake air at the loader needs to be opened up to allow more control of the supply air.  I really liked my last electric MB but I was sure hoping that they got this one right.  Looks like they fixed a couple of issues and screwed up some that didn't need to be fixed.  Oh well.......here we go again!

Last edited:
Hey All-

After some significant issues with Cabelas customer service I received my MES 30" just before Christmas.  Seasoned the smoker last week and attempted my first smoke tonight (fresh caught whitefish).  After smoking the fish for 1 hr I lost the control panel (at least that's what I assume) and the unit no longer turns on. Just before the panel went out, a weird almost error like symbol seemed to appear on the digital board.  Then the screen went black.  The burner stayed on until I unplugged the smoker hoping to reset it. Of course this was just after 5 pm so Masterbuilt customer service is closed for the weekend.  Any thoughts or experience with Masterbuilt on these types of issues?  The manual that came with the unit says shipping is the customers responsibility even under warranty.  But it's only been 3 weeks!  Pretty disappointed, especially because I had 5 lbs of whitefish that smoked for only one hour and only absorbed 20 minutes of a little hickory smoke....

Masterbuilt Customer Service is very good. They will make it right for you. If they feel they need to replace the entire unit, they usually just have you cut and send them the electrical cord and serial number plate from the rear. Sorry to hear yours is having an issue.

I own both

TJ
I know when I read the 90 day deal I was like what the hell ...since I got it as a gift ..Im stuck with the 90 day thing ...it didnt come from sams  so ..

I know when I read the 90 day deal I was like what the hell ...since I got it as a gift ..Im stuck with the 90 day thing ...it didnt come from sams  so ..
I would not worry about the 90 day deal. There are several stories of Masterbuilt standing behind their product long after the warranty expired. Check this out...JJ
[h1]Masterbuilt Customer Service[/h1]
2 Unread Posts Subscribe Search This Thread Preferences Edit Thread

Thread Admin Tools:    Lock  | View Mod History  (full history)

Post a ReplyStart a New Thread

post #1  of 5

2/18/12

• 80x80px-LS-ff5d08a4_12-19-10ribs1.jpg
  • SmokinAl
  • OTBS & Premier member
  • badge_moderator.v1339090508.png
  •  
  • 15,941 Posts. Joined 6/2009

This is incredible. I had an old MES 40 that I sold to a friend about 1 1/2 years ago. He called me a couple of weeks ago to tell me that the heating element had burned out. He had already contacted MB, they asked for the model # & he gave it to them. They said they do not make a replacement element for that model & if he has the original sales receipt they will send him a brand new smoker. He told them he bought it used & they said that's OK, and to see if the original owner has the receipt. Well I save all that kind of stuff & a quick search of the 2009 shoe box located the receipt. He sent in a copy & the other info they requested. I got a call from him yesterday & his new MES was just delivered. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Kudos to Masterbuilt!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky