2012 Masterbuilt Smokers - NEW 30" & 40" Models!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I own both

The New 2012 has a few nice features, but the hinge absolutely SUCKS

1st wind, and the hinge is bent

I'm working on a review side x side, but not done yet

If you can get the new model for the same price, I would go for it

Make sure you buy the extended warranty!!!

Masterbuilt's factory warranty is only 90 days.....

TJ
How is your review coming.

I trying to make a decision on which one to keep.  The gen1 works for me, but do not want to make a decision before using the gen2.

Thanks for all the great comments on here.

I've assembled the gen 2 (takes a lot longer than the gen 1)

Going to try it out and see which one I like.
Okay...here is my take on Gen1 vs Gen2 after using both side by side.

They are both great smokers, but I'm going to keep the Gen 1 and take back the Gen 2.  This is based on my preference, do not want to start a fight here!

I will write a full review with pics tomorrow (family time ATM).

But briefly:

Visually the Gen 2 looks a lot better than the 1st.

However,  the draft in the Gen 2 is not as good as the 1st.  As others have noted in this thread, smoke easily backs up in chamber.  The actual vent cap/grate has about 30% of the opening of the Gen 1 and does not allow adequate exhaust for my taste.  I'm sure a mod could fix this.

If using the built in wood box (not an issue with AMNPS) the gen 2 always flared up on me.  I tried the drawer open, closed, and every variation there of in conjunction with the exhaust and loader.....always a flare up.

Gen 1 was much easier to control...however I will say the Gen 2 immediately started smoking when I put chips in.  The Gen 1 takes time to get smoking.

That's it for now...just my 2 cents.  Both are great smokers, but I will wait until Generation 2.1 rolls out before I buy again.  That is if my Gen 1 dies by then!

PS: we need to add AMNPS to spell check!

I just checked the heating element wattage on my MES 30--it's 800w. Looks like with the fancy new generation Masterbuilt downgraded the wattage by 150w. My MES 30 performs just fine--no glass to clean, no remote electronics to short out. I cook for a small family and rarely use more than two racks so the 30" model is fine for me. I've always been one to buy the newest, upgraded model of something but not this time.

Sound like lots of happy people getting new smokers. I love it.........
th_4th_of_July.gif
Let the smoking begin...........
biggrin.gif

My MES 30 has the 800 watt heating element as well. No way would I want to trade down to 650. I heard the really old MES had a 1200 watt heating element which had a habit of frying itself and the wiring and replacing it was a hassle and expensive. My MES 30 will do just fine, thank you.

I started with the 20070311 but took it back and replaced with the 20070512. I only burned in and cooked one full load in the 311. Several issues with the 311 not much sign of smoke but MB has a modified chip tray and was ready to send me one if my replacement required the new tray. Black liquid ran out of the front leg and not sure what this was or from where could not trace the source. I returned it mainly because the gasket had separated from the door in one area about an inch wide. It was a display unit so who knows. I Purchased the 512 from Cabela’s with a price match from Sam’s web site and also added 2 year replacement not available from the other retailer.

MB has been very responsive to my questions while trying to make my decisions and this forum has been fantastic. I burned in the 512 tonight and it may be a few days before doing any cooking. The heat shot to over 300 in about 20 minutes with an outside temp of 50. The temp bounced around the 275 setting from around 265 – 290. The temp on the racks checked with dual thermos and against built in gauge appeared fairly even across the racks. I never saw the 311 fill with smoke but the 512 filled to the point of not being able to see the racks for about 30 minutes and still had a nice trail of smoke at the end of the hour when the unit finished the 3 hour burn in with a quarter open vent. The construction of the 512 does not seem as strong but should be sufficient since I will keep in the garage when not in use. Need to try and mount a pipe to the vent but will be more difficult to attach with the side vent placement. Need to find a decent cover!

Todd shipped my AMNPS today so should be set for some easy cooking in a few days and will provide an update. SmokeOne!

There is actually a cover made for the Bradley that works great on the MB.  Cabela's has them at a good price.

Well, that's it for me with the new Masterbuilt.  My 2 month old gen 2 unit just smoked itself.  Temp got up to 340 with the controller set at 230, chip tray ignited...again, and a terrible smell is coming out of the unit itself (no, it ain't my food).  Smells like the guts got cooked.  Shut it down and, just for the hell of it, went to turn it on and it's as dead as Abe Lincoln.  Nothing.  Right now I'd give my, well, something good for an older model, cause this one is going back.  Just sent an email to Masterbuilt to see what the solution will be and hope that the good things folks have been saying about good customer service is true.  In the past it wasn't all that great, but maybe things have changed.  I know this, I'm pretty sure that I don't want a replacement of the same unit.

geerock and I were PMing each other, when I sent him a PM that my new 2102 MES hit 329 before I shut it down

The digital display read 262° and my ET-732 read 329°

geerock PM's me back, that his 2012 MES 40 hit 340° and started to melt down

Traded mine in for a new one at SAMS tonight

I'll fire it up tomorrow and see if this one will work

Is it a coincidence that they both were defective, or does Masterbuilt have a BIGGER problem?!?!?!?

I suggest anyone with a 2012 MES 40 check the temp of the unit against another thermometer

Do not trust the MES probe for accuracy

MMMMM Starting to think mine might be going back to Cabela before the 60 day return is over. Too much money for something you can't trust. I burned a hole in a new wood deck with a bad designed fire pit once upon a time. I assume I could still return it. I will give it a try for a while at least cook on it a few times and see how it goes. I know mine shot to over 300 before the element cycled the first time for burn in. (*&^%###^&))*#

Has anyone used the AMNPS in the new MES 40"? Just wondering if there is enough air/oxygen to keep it going without opening the tray and loader for more air flow. Also any input on where you have found to be the best location for sitting the AMNPS.

Thanks for the input on the Bradley cover.

MMMMM Starting to think mine might be going back to Cabela before the 60 day return is over. Too much money for something you can't trust. I burned a hole in a new wood deck with a bad designed fire pit once upon a time. I assume I could still return it. I will give it a try for a while at least cook on it a few times and see how it goes. I know mine shot to over 300 before the element cycled the first time for burn in. (*&^%###^&))*#

Has anyone used the AMNPS in the new MES 40"? Just wondering if there is enough air/oxygen to keep it going without opening the tray and loader for more air flow. Also any input on where you have found to be the best location for sitting the AMNPS.

Thanks for the input on the Bradley cover.
SmokeOne,

I have not been able to keep any of my AMAZN's going in the new gen 2.  Todd suggested that you can take out the water tray and lay the dust or pellet box over that area and it will work.  But it just adds too many things that "if you do this, then this will work" that is the mark of a bad design.  (the masterbuilt, not Todd's products).  And when I open the loader chips will ignite.  Damn, sometimes they ignite even when the loader is closed all the way but then smoke just does not vent correctly and back draft on the slightest breeze occurs.  As for checking temps, my unit was being monitored by a maverick that read 333 when the unit was commiting suicide at 340. Closest the damn thing has been to correct temp since I owned it!  Still waiting on customer service for a reply, but it's only been a day.   tick tick tick

Last edited:
Thanks, I am very interested in the response from MB! Bummer about the AMNPS I had a feeling. I might be changing smokers to get the most out of the AMNPS. I am a pecan wood pit smoker for many years and not sure the move to electric cooking is going to work for my taste yet but going to give it one hell of a try before I throw in the towel. I have not cooked on the gen2 yet only seasoned. My initial thought is that the temp range around the burner kicking on and off is to high. At 275 if the thing is going over 300 and they melt down around 320 or less it is a problem. The gen1 controller is outside the case and the gen2 is integrated. Wonder how hot it gets in the controller?

For competitions like San Antonio we would fire up pits on Thursday evening and not shut them down till late Saturday night. I could never even make myself use charcoal, pure wood for me. Took three days to get all the smoke out of me! PURE LOVE!

Smokeone
I'm actually an old stick burner myself but decided didn't feel like babysitting that thing whenever I wanted to cook a couples racks. Had my original 40 inch Masterbuilt for almost three years and loved it. The amazn boxes worked great and you didnt have to babysit the thing. The only thing I thought would be an improvenent was a higher wattage element as it had some trouble with recovery and getting up to speed in cold temps, and a set of wheels. We got the wheels and the watts... but also got a vent that is on the side and too small, a controller that is at the front and is way off for temps and is blasted with heat and steam when the door is open, and chip tray that catches fire every time I turn my back. This, along with other problems as listed previous, gives this unit a 1 star if I was rating it. But I"m going to hold off until I hear from mb service and because of my good experience with the last one.

Last edited:
As a follow up to me first post. MB is sending me a replacement digital control panel for my MES 30 that failed an hour into my first smoke job.  I'll install when I recieve it and give an update on functionality...in regards to Cabelas 60 day return policy, I spoke with customer service when I realized MB was closed for the weekend and they never mentioned it. I'm only 30 days into ownership and wondering if a return may be the best option.

The controllers shouldn't be going bad so soon!!!

Fires in the chip pan

Replacement parts for a brand new smoker

Are they waiting for someone's house to burn down before they figure out they have a problem?

Sounds like they took a product to market, before they had the bugs worked out

Keep the controller for the next failure.... I have a gen1 controller but now have a gen2 MES. Maybe we are becoming MES parts collectors. If the rain ever stops I want to test my gen2 further. The Cabela's by me in Allen TX only has the gen2 40" (7)  in stock all the others are sold out.

After being a long time Bradley user, I decided to change teams and try out a 2nd gen 40" Masterbuilt this time around (after my Bradley caught fire...lol). I assembled it and ran it through its seasoning cycle last night and have a couple questions about it. First, does anyone have any idea what's up with the placement of the light? I don't know about y'all's, but mine is positioned directly over the door, so the only thing it lights up at night is my knees and out to the side of the smoker. I'm not sure how they get away with calling it an "internal light" when it doesn't light up the inside at all, unless the door is open, but why would you want to do that?

Also, I suppose this would be common sense, but I was surprised by how hot the glass window gets! I guess I thought it would somehow be insulated. It would leave one helluva burn if someone wearing shorts were to brush up against it. I also got my AMNPS (every time I see that acronym, in my head, I read it as "Art Mann Presents", a TV show I watch...lol), but I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet. After reading through some of this thread, needless to say, I'm fairly concerned about it staying lit. Has anyone had any success using it with the 2nd gen 40"? If so, where did you position it to keep it somewhat ventilated, while, at the same time, protecting it from drippings? I also read not to put any liquid in the water pan when using the AMNPS. Any issues with this drying out the meat? Sorry for all the questions. This is my first time on here...

Thanks in advance.

Amazon, still listing 20070311 Old Gen MES 40's for $316 w/free shipping...Sounds like there is going to be a Run on these. But I still hope Masterbuilt helps you guys straighten out your problems...JJ

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky