Venison Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Schwarzwald Metzger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
I recently made venison pastrami from the top sirloin roast.

The curing process took a total of 5 days. I factored two days per pound, and the roast weighed approximately 2.1 lbs.

I tried to enhance the venison flavor with celery seed, but other than that the spices consisted of the usual suspects... Coriander, black pepper, bay leaves, thyme, etc... If anyone wants the exact recipe hit me up.

I smoked it on my Yoder YS 640S at 180 degrees until the roast hit an internal temperature of 145. I was using cookin hickory pellets and was periodically putting beef tallow on the roast to keep it moist.

It was very good, I will absolutely be doing this again.
IMG_20211107_202320928.jpg
IMG_20211113_092114451.jpg
IMG_20211113_155814622.jpg
IMG_20211116_201829842.jpg IMG_20211116_200909704.jpg

I recently made venison pastrami from the top sirloin roast.

The curing process took a total of 5 days. I factored two days per pound, and the roast weighed approximately 2.1 lbs.

I tried to enhance the venison flavor with celery seed, but other than that the spices consisted of the usual suspects... Coriander, black pepper, bay leaves, thyme, etc... If anyone wants the exact recipe hit me up.

I smoked it on my Yoder YS 640S at 180 degrees until the roast hit an internal temperature of 145. I was using cookin hickory pellets and was periodically putting beef tallow on the roast to keep it moist.

It was very good, I will absolutely be doing this again.View attachment 516464View attachment 516465View attachment 516466View attachment 516467View attachment 516468
Hi there and welcome!

That is looking good for sure.

FYI, it is my understanding from the cure experts here that cure#1 travels at about 1/4 inch a day. So you can get 1/4 penetration from top and bottom giving 1/2 inch a day for flat-ish pieces of meat.

The thicker the meat the longer it will take.
I have wet cured to make pastrami and it works fine as well. The benefit of wet curing is that once you mix up your liquid cure you drop in the meat and the take a meat syringe to draw the cure solution and inject all over within the meat. Now you get cure travel from inside and outside ensuring everything gets cured AND speeding up the cure time by quite a bit :)

If you ever get interested in making a ground venison pastrami sandwich meat let me know. I have done that a number of times and the flavor is outstanding!
It's pretty simple and all you need is some ground venison and ground beef fat (80/20 meat to fat) and mix in all the seaosning + cure #1. Form into a block/loaf and smoke like it is sausage with mostly maple wood if you have it.
Let it cool in the fridge then slice and vac seal. It's damn good!

Grats on the venison and great looking pastrami.

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
Hi there and welcome!

That is looking good for sure.

FYI, it is my understanding from the cure experts here that cure#1 travels at about 1/4 inch a day. So you can get 1/4 penetration from top and bottom giving 1/2 inch a day for flat-ish pieces of meat.

The thicker the meat the longer it will take.
I have wet cured to make pastrami and it works fine as well. The benefit of wet curing is that once you mix up your liquid cure you drop in the meat and the take a meat syringe to draw the cure solution and inject all over within the meat. Now you get cure travel from inside and outside ensuring everything gets cured AND speeding up the cure time by quite a bit :)

If you ever get interested in making a ground venison pastrami sandwich meat let me know. I have done that a number of times and the flavor is outstanding!
It's pretty simple and all you need is some ground venison and ground beef fat (80/20 meat to fat) and mix in all the seaosning + cure #1. Form into a block/loaf and smoke like it is sausage with mostly maple wood if you have it.
Let it cool in the fridge then slice and vac seal. It's damn good!

Grats on the venison and great looking pastrami.
Great information thanks! Ground venison pastrami sounds amazing. I am going to try that. I will post results. I'd imagine that the high beef fat content would really help to keep the venison from drying out... Honestly, I never even considered that method until you brought it up.

Thanks!

Great information thanks! Ground venison pastrami sounds amazing. I am going to try that. I will post results. I'd imagine that the high beef fat content would really help to keep the venison from drying out... Honestly, I never even considered that method until you brought it up.

Thanks!

I'm glad you are interested!

Here is my post about it. Don't let the word "loaf" fool you, it's not a meat loaf. It's simply formed into a block/loaf for smoking and then sliced for sandwich meat.
You can sub out the soy protein binder for Non-Fat Dry Milk if you like. This stuff is SUPER awesome and you can even stuff as sausage links if you want but I've never done that because I like my pastrami as sandwich meat not as an actual sausage.

Yeah I do all my wild game sausage at 80/20 and it comes out perfect each time. It also helps that I do my sausage prep and smoking processes properly.

Finally, I have taken all of this meat to 165F Internal Temp (IT) by slowly inching the smoker up to 180F smoker temp. It comes out fine as long as you do it properly and your smoker can hold super tight temps like mine does (holds within 1 degree of set temp). I've done this due to wild pigs though there are indications that trichinella may not be as common in them as once thought. I just have never taken in the chance in the past.

You should have no problem doing 80/20 sausage whether it's wild game or not, plus the math is super easy this way. 4 pounds of meat and 1 pound of fat makes 5 pounds of 80/20 sausage. 8 pounds meat 2 pounds fat = 10 pounds sausage. Make 5 or 10 pound increments easily knowing this :D

Finally, finally, - I never mix fat with my 100% pure ground game meat when bagging and freezing. Why??? I also make ground meat jerky and like the flexibility of taking the 100% pure grind and being able to deside if I want to make jerky, burgers, brown for tacos/spaghetti, or mix with fat to make sausage. Nothing but options!!! :D
I hope all this info helps

That is all great information. Thanks for sharing. I too don't pre mix my lipids with protein. It's surely a fascinating approach that you developed.

That is all great information. Thanks for sharing. I too don't pre mix my lipids with protein. It's surely a fascinating approach that you developed.
I love all this hunting and wild game cooking stuff.
And with the pandemic and not being able to hunt for 2 years now I am living vicariously through all of you until I can get back to it.

There is a chance I can do some wild hog hunting here over the holidays but we'll see. Time is just so hard to come by and I right now I'm hellbent on pandemic and crisis proofing my life which basically comes to fruition end of April 2022, so just gotta keep my head down then I will get back to my yearly hunting ways :D

I love all this hunting and wild game cooking stuff.
And with the pandemic and not being able to hunt for 2 years now I am living vicariously through all of you until I can get back to it.

There is a chance I can do some wild hog hunting here over the holidays but we'll see. Time is just so hard to come by and I right now I'm hellbent on pandemic and crisis proofing my life which basically comes to fruition end of April 2022, so just gotta keep my head down then I will get back to my yearly hunting ways :D
I hear what you are saying. Time is the commodity that is of greatest value, but is in such limited supply.

Full disclosure, I only butchered the beast I didn't harvest it. My buddy did the killing and because I like to process, he let me keep half as payment... Which I am absolutely OK with.
😀

Awesome venison pastrami! I make it often and I like to take the INT temp up to 130*F and hold for bout 30 minutes. The meat is pasteurized, fully cooked and a lot more moist.

I found couple venison roast, stew meat, loin and ground while cleaning out a freezer today. When my buddy gave me all this I did not record it in my freezer app last year. Going to have to try your pastrami on roast. Put baskets in the top freezer. Got tired of everything falling out! 2 freezers gone threw and the big one to go! I think more venison in there. Not getting any this year so this is good. He loaded me up last year.

20220105_135516.jpg

I found couple venison roast, stew meat, loin and ground while cleaning out a freezer today. When my buddy gave me all this I did not record it in my freezer app last year. Going to have to try your pastrami on roast. Put baskets in the top freezer. Got tired of everything falling out! 2 freezers gone threw and the big one to go! I think more venison in there. Not getting any this year so this is good. He loaded me up last year.

View attachment 521182
It is a great recipe, the cure is perfect for it. Let me know how it goes. I have also used this cure on top round, it works awesome on lean protein.

View attachment 521182
tallbm tallbm has a great pastrami loaf recipe, that my dad tried it and loved it... It was as good as tallbm said it was. Cheers.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky