Late St Patti Corned Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Schwarzwald Metzger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
I started brining this late and completely forgot about St Patty's Day. Better late than never.

Meat:
-9 lbs brisket flat

Brine:
-10.4 L Boiling Water
-600 g Kosher Salt
-45 g Curing Salt 1
-200 g Honey
-5 tsp Peppercorns
-5 tsp Yellow mustard seed
-2 tsp Coriander seeds
-3 juniper berries
-10 Whole cloves
-3 Bay leaves

Directions:
To make the brine, put salt, honey, Peppercorns, mustard seeds, coriander, juniper, cloves, and bay in large reactive container. Pour in boiling water and stir to dissolve salt and honey. Cover container and let cool overnight.

The next day stir in the curing salt into the brine. Submerge brisket in brine and refrigerate 14 days..

Remove finished corned beef from brine and rinse before cooking.

I decided to braise the corned beef.

For braising I placed in pan on a cookie cooling rack. Poured in enough lager to bring up to top of cookie cooling rack, but still under brisket.

I then threw in onions, ground cloves, ground mustard, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, and pepper. And covered tightly with aluminum foil.

IMG_20240330_090554604.jpg

I placed covered brisket into oven at 300 degrees for roughly 6 hours until it was registering 190 internal.

I then threw in redskin potatoes and cabbage and continued to cook until brisket registered 200 internal, roughly 1 hour.

IMG_20240330_151431538.jpg

Once it hit 200 I pulled and let it rest for 1 hour, then served. It was outstanding.

IMG_20240330_152535378.jpg

IMG_20240330_153016635.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Brad

Last edited:
I started brining this late and completely forgot about St Patty's Day. Better late than never.

Meat:
-9 lbs brisket flat

Brine:
-10.4 L Boiling Water
-880 g Kosher Salt
-75 g Curing Salt 1
-200 g Honey
-5 tsp Peppercorns
-5 tsp Yellow mustard seed
-2 tsp Coriander seeds
-3 juniper berries
-10 Whole cloves
-3 Bay leaves

Directions:
To make the brine, put salt, honey, Peppercorns, mustard seeds, coriander, juniper, cloves, and bay in large reactive container. Pour in boiling water and stir to dissolve salt and honey. Cover container and let cool overnight.

The next day stir in the curing salt into the brine. Submerge brisket in brine and refrigerate 14 days..

Remove finished corned beef from brine and rinse before cooking.

I decided to braise the corned beef.

For braising I placed in pan on a cookie cooling rack. Poured in enough lager to bring up to top of cookie cooling rack, but still under brisket.

I then threw in onions, ground cloves, ground mustard, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, and pepper. And covered tightly with aluminum foil.

View attachment 693006

I placed covered brisket into oven at 300 degrees for roughly 6 hours until it was registering 190 internal.

I then threw in redskin potatoes and cabbage and continued to cook until brisket registered 200 internal, roughly 1 hour.

View attachment 693007

Once it hit 200 I pulled and let it rest for 1 hour, then served. It was outstanding.

View attachment 693008

View attachment 693009

Thanks for looking.

Brad
That brine is very heavy handed. Where did you come up with that recipe?

That brine is very heavy handed. Where did you come up with that recipe?
I've tried numerous brines, this one has been the best IMO. This one is a modified recipe from the book "In the Charcuterie" by Taylor Boetticher and Toponia Miller. I find the honey tastes better than sugar.

I use the Michael Simmons recipe for pastrami as it's brine contains no salt only cure. I prefer the pastrami rub post brine to have the salt.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky