Pastrami from store bought corned beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Turned 2 store bought corned beef cuts into pastrami . The first was a point end , so had some of the flat on it .
Soaked a couple hours , the coated with black pepper and paprika . Decided to follow thirdeye thirdeye advice and use my instant pot to finish . Used a couple inches of water and a rack to keep the meat dry . Did 30 minutes a couple times over . Came out pretty good .
20240224_142622.jpg
Sandwich on some homemade rye bread with hot mustard .
20240224_143752.jpg
The second one was just the point itself . No flat .
Did a short soak , then used the same rub and smoked to 150 or so .
This time I went into the instant pot . On a rack with a couple inches of water .
I went 50 minutes at high pressure with a natural release .
It was like jello when it came out , but still sliced as it should .
This was by far some of the best I've ever had . Still can't believe how tender it was .
Off the smoker , I used the SmokeFire with Lumberjack hickory .
20240317_162123.jpg
Had to cut that tail off to get it to fit in the pot .
This is after 50 minutes and the release .
20240317_181553.jpg
Sliced warm , right from the pot . Tender , but still held together .
Hit it just right , got lucky I guess .
20240317_181947.jpg

I made up some sourdough rye bread to use with this .
20240317_151604.jpg
20240318_091927.jpg
Used the last of it to make a sandwich for lunch yesterday .
Finally found the Nathan's horseradish pickles .
20240321_112544.jpg
I'm liking the point only for this . Great texture and fat .
Gonna cure my own when the price comes down a bit .
20240321_112859.jpg
Made a fantastic sandwich . Hot pastrami with kraut and Swiss is tough to beat .
20240321_114652.jpg
Oops! Almost forgot the mustard .
20240321_114903.jpg
Thanks for lookin' Figured I'd give the sandwich thread some action .

Looks great Rich.

Certainly seems easy enough to do.Just might have to make the investment into an instant pot.

Reactions: chopsaw
Damn Rich that all looks amazing!! I'm so hungry now lol. I am a huge fan of that Mr Mustard hot mustard too

Damn Rich that all looks amazing!!
It was one that you think about all night , then have some for breakfast .
I am a huge fan of that Mr Mustard hot mustard too
Oh yeah . Good stuff .
Truly an indispensable kitchen tool
No doubt about it . I do brisket flats for taco meat . Unseasoned in the IP , then chop and into a skillet with whatever . Fantastic .
Have mercy! Thats a great looking sammich.
Thanks Jim ! Move to Arkansas and you'll almost be close enough to drive up for lunch !

Reactions: JLeonard
I made up some sourdough rye bread to use with this .
YOU SUCK!!! LOL

Looks great and totally doing this to the one in the freezer.

Certainly seems easy enough to do.Just might have to make the investment into an instant pot.
DO IT. OMG. Worth it for rice or hard boiled eggs alone. I got mine FB Marketplace brand new and cheap. I think it's a common shower gift that no one wants to keep.

YOU SUCK!!!
You might be surprised , but I hear that quite often .
Looks great and totally doing this to the one in the freezer.
It's fantastic . You even have the SmokeFire to do the first part . I ran it on the top rack .
Need to get you in the bread lane . That light rye is fantastic .

Last edited:
Start to finish that's one fine piece of work Rich! I always have 3-4 CB's in the chest freezer and keep meaning to do a pastrami from one. Reckon I'll have to look for some points, I always seem to get flats and do them stovetop. That sourdough rye looks fantastic, ideal for a grilled Reuben sanny, my favorite. RAY

Now that's one good looking sandwich Rich.
It's good Chris . I knew you didn't like kraut so I did one without .
Start to finish that's one fine piece of work Rich!
Thanks ray .
That sourdough rye looks fantastic, ideal for a grilled Reuben sanny, my favorite.
We did patty melts on the Blackstone with some onions and store bought frozen burgers .
I know you make a great loaf in the breadmaker. This is a lite rye , but has great flavor .

That's it, I am pulling the rinsed, frozen and seasoned corn beef out of the freezer and am doing this tomorrow. Need to pick up marbled rye bread too. I might try smoking it from frozen for more smoke kind of like SmokinAl SmokinAl did with ribs? Think that might work? Also give me an excuse to break out the slicer for super thin cuts.

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky