Picana?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdawg

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2011
Riverview, FL
Hi guys- It's been a while since I last posted.

I moved to the Tampa area, and went out looking for either a brisket flat or a Tri-Tip that I wanted to cook like a brisket.
(I loved doing this when I lived in WA). As other said, tri-tip is hard to find here in FL. I went to a local market, and it had a lot of meat cuts I never heard of with Spanish-sounding names. That's cool, I'm willing to try things out.
Anyways, I could find whole packers, but not just a flat, and I wanted something small because the wife is out of town for the next week, so a whole packer is just too much.
I found this cut called a Picana. It's got a real nice fat cap on it, so I figured I'd pick it up and try the experiment of cooking it like a brisket.
Anybody on here tried this before? I'm looking for lessons learned and suggestions.

Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
I wouldn’t do that with picanha. That cut is famous in Brazil and is roasted to medium or medium rare then sliced. Cooked usually on spits. It is basically a top sirloin cut with a good fat cap. TriTip on the other hand is different and comes from the forward part of the leg and has that same grain texture as a brisket. TriTip is ok to cook like brisket but Picanha is basically a sirloin, not a good choice for low and slow cooks. Do yourself a favor and cook it medium rare and enjoy. My o2.

Reactions: JLeonard and bdawg
Picanha is best grilled to med-rare. Many will cut along the grain into 1.5-2" wide steaks then pull the two ends towards each other to form a U and skewer. Season well with salt & pepper plus some garlic powder and let sit on the counter for 45 minutes before placing on the grill. You can baste lightly with Italian dressing if desired. I usually pull them off the grill with an IT of 128-130º to rest for 5-7 minutes before serving.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigW. and bdawg
Thanks
I wasn’t sure so that’s why I asked here.
Much appreciated

Send JckDanls 07 a PM he's very close to you down there. I'm sure he can give you some good ideas on where to get different cuts of meat down there

Also make up a batch of Chimichurri to go with it. That stuff is amazing with steak.

Hi guys- It's been a while since I last posted.

I moved to the Tampa area, and went out looking for either a brisket flat or a Tri-Tip that I wanted to cook like a brisket.
(I loved doing this when I lived in WA). As other said, tri-tip is hard to find here in FL. I went to a local market, and it had a lot of meat cuts I never heard of with Spanish-sounding names. That's cool, I'm willing to try things out.
Anyways, I could find whole packers, but not just a flat, and I wanted something small because the wife is out of town for the next week, so a whole packer is just too much.
I found this cut called a Picana. It's got a real nice fat cap on it, so I figured I'd pick it up and try the experiment of cooking it like a brisket.
Anybody on here tried this before? I'm looking for lessons learned and suggestions.

Thanks!
20230630_161353.jpg

If you get a picaña, get a brocheta too and do it right

Reactions: 912smoker and BigW.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky