New to this Forum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good enough!

Same idea as "city chicken" in WWII, it was just pork cooked in a similar way chicken was.

Just surprised they use turkey in it now, as that's generally more expensive than chicken.

Good enough!

Same idea as "city chicken" in WWII, it was just pork cooked in a similar way chicken was.

Just surprised they use turkey in it now, as that's generally more expensive than chicken.
I don't believe it's actual turkey meat we would consume after cooking a turkey but instead, mechanically removed remnants from the bones plus perhaps other garbage portions not in demand.
I use pork loin half for all my sausages wieners and bologna, buying it on sale when it's under $2 a pound.

I don't believe it's actual turkey meat we would consume after cooking a turkey but instead, mechanically removed remnants from the bones plus perhaps other garbage portions not in demand.
Lol you're not wrong. If I try making this I'll use legit turkey parts tho I don't mechanically separate my meat in this house 🤣

A lot of the Moch chicken back then was meatless or was heavily fortified with fillers. It’s a big country and recipes are all over the map, but it certainly was an extended product (fillers)

A lot of the Moch chicken back then was meatless or was heavily fortified with fillers. It’s a big country and recipes are all over the map, but it certainly was an extended product (fillers)
Absolutely. There's potato starch and dairy fillers in this one. Given his circumstance, want to limit that

Absolutely. There's potato starch and dairy fillers in this one. Given his circumstance, want to limit that
I don't use potato starch but I do use powdered milk in wieiners and bologna that I make.
Main thing for me is limitation of preservative as much as possible but cutting the salt content to 25 to 50% of recipe amounts really makes a difference for my kidneys. I have a few recipes that I have to use 50 but most are palatable to me in the 25-30% of what is called for.
I was told many times that for making sausages I wouldn't be able to lower salt levels that much but I don't understand why as I've make probably 12-15 different sausage recipes and they were mostly acceptable to me. The ones that were not were because of spicing not because of the low salt.
One thing I do use many times is powdered smoke as I don't have a smoker and at my age it's not practical to spend on. I haven't been able to find any source that can tell me if it is bad for my kidneys though.

Reactions: Culinary Otter
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky