New to this Forum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rayjay

Original poster
Feb 11, 2024
81 yr old man from Ontario Canada with kidney disease. As such, I make all my own foods, baked goods like bread, buns and deserts but also make all my own wieners, sausages (cured and fresh) and luncheon meat to avoid much of the preservatives used in commercial products, and, to make with reduced salt levels trying to avoid going on dialysis.
It's a long shot for me but I'm looking for a recipe for spicing of Peamealed Mock Chicken Luncheon Loaf like the Olymel brand.
All my life I've eaten this mock chicken but for some years now I've had to resort to various recipes of bologna as I cannot find the recipe for making mock chicken loaf.
If I could find out what spices give me the proper taste I could work with that using my base for bologna and switch out the spices.
SAUSAGE AND PROCESSED MEAT FORMULATIONS by Herbert W. Ockerman is an extensive source of meat recipes but while it does have mention of mock chicken it's basically a meat formulation pressed into drum stick molds, (I've never encounter those anytime in my life) and definitely doesn't taste like Mock Chicken I know of like Olymel's.
If you DO know of the spicing I'm looking for or know where I can go to find it I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Reactions: mr mac and JLeonard
Can't help you with the spices for the mock chicken, but welcome aboard from New Mexico.
Hopefully someone will have an answer for you.

Welcome to SMF. There is an extensive recipe list here. DeeJays

OK, checked out the DJ list but nothing there. I'll keep hoping.

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully someone has the answer to your question.

Have you tried contacting Olymel directly, explaining your situation and asking them?

Reactions: Culinary Otter
Have you tried contacting Olymel directly, explaining your situation and asking them?

Yes, I contacted them and another company that makes it also. I just asked for the spice list, not the whole recipe as I wouldn't expect that. However, neither of the companies replied.

Reactions: ron50
Newbie to the Forums. I've been smoking, grilling, cooking, etc. since 1976 (I'm 62). I am a former NYC restaurant owner and have been in the hospitality biz for about 40+ years. I own a 18" WSM, Traeger Pro Series 34, and a Weber Performer.

Welcome from a bit west of you!

I don't have any answers for you but I'd love to see if I can purchase some here and help reverse engineer it for you.

Welcome from a bit west of you!

I don't have any answers for you but I'd love to see if I can purchase some here and help reverse engineer it for you.
I'm curious as to how something like this can be reversed engineered? Would it be possible for a novice like me to do?
The two sources I used when I was still able to eat commercial meats were Food Basics and Walmart.

I'm curious as to how something like this can be reversed engineered? Would it be possible for a novice like me to do?
It's not really any different than any other emulsified sausage from what I see. The reverse engineering part comes into figuring out what spices they use.

Basically just tasting it and figuring out what they used for spices. Unfortunately the ingredients only show mustard and onion, and the rest is hidden under "spices".

Not going to make any promises but they carry that at my local Walmart. I'll grab a pack and see what it tastes like, this forum can probably get you pretty close!

Out of curiosity, did you like the "mock chicken" for a reason? It's pork and turkey, which I kind of find odd, could probably make it out of actual chicken easier.

Off the top of my head, on top of the salt, onion, and mustard, they're probably just adding a Scarborough Fair (poultry seasoning) blend to it.

It's not really any different than any other emulsified sausage from what I see. The reverse engineering part comes into figuring out what spices they use.

Basically just tasting it and figuring out what they used for spices. Unfortunately the ingredients only show mustard and onion, and the rest is hidden under "spices".

Not going to make any promises but they carry that at my local Walmart. I'll grab a pack and see what it tastes like, this forum can probably get you pretty close!

Out of curiosity, did you like the "mock chicken" for a reason? It's pork and turkey, which I kind of find odd, could probably make it out of actual chicken easier.
It has a very unique flavour not replicated by actual chicken meat. I never figured out why they called it mock chicken other than when it first came to market during the war, it was to replace chicken that was scarce and expensive and back then was only made with the cheaper and more available pork and the spices.
I first started on it in '66 when my son was born and money was tight with the wife off work. Back then MC was cheaper than bologna so that got me on it but the taste is what kept me on it once money was no longer the problem.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky