How to price jerky to sell?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bubba96

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
saginaw,michigan
I've been smoking jerky since my early teens, and now in my late twenties i've been getting into making jerky sticks. Still practicing and working on the sticks lol. But lately i've been giving jerky to family or friends if I make too much and they like it so much they are willing to buy it. But I don't really know how to price it to sell. I've read things online to add in labor work, marinade, I use a traeger so pellets, and obviously the meat. I tend to use london broil, and here it can be close to $10/pound. I can't seem to find anything online that'll help me find a answer. Any help would be appreciated!

If you are using London Broil @ $10 a lbs you are at $20 / lbs cost just for the dehydrated meat assuming a loss of 50%. Add on cost of ingredients , labor and electricity. You are going to find that $38-$40 / lbs is likely a very fair price. The first thing I'd do if you really want to sell is find a beef source less than $10 / lbs.

Reactions: JLinza
I've been smoking jerky since my early teens, and now in my late twenties i've been getting into making jerky sticks. Still practicing and working on the sticks lol. But lately i've been giving jerky to family or friends if I make too much and they like it so much they are willing to buy it. But I don't really know how to price it to sell. I've read things online to add in labor work, marinade, I use a traeger so pellets, and obviously the meat. I tend to use london broil, and here it can be close to $10/pound. I can't seem to find anything online that'll help me find a answer. Any help would be appreciated!
Go Blue!

Technically London Broil isn't a cut, it's a cooking technique. Do you know what cut you are using?

Try getting eye of round for jerky making...it's cheap and super lean. Perfect for jerky.

Just my opinion.

Brad

Reactions: JLinza and jcam222
I have been buying eye of round and selling jerky at work for $5 for 4oz. I can sell as much as I make. Word gets around then you have everyone and their brother wanting some.
I bought digital scales so it's more precise. If you count your time, you probably won't make money, but I do it because I enjoy it.

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
There is another sticking point if you are making it to sell to more than friends you trust not to sue you. Liability insurance if someone gets sick. Need to meet all local health codes as well.
In addition to the above, I'd recommend an LLC. If anyone gets sick: lose your company vs. your possessions. I'd take the former.

Reactions: DougE
Right

Dont get caught without that needed USDA stamp or you will get a visit from the
G-Man

Reactions: DougE
Go Blue!

Technically London Broil isn't a cut, it's a cooking technique. Do you know what cut you are using?

Try getting eye of round for jerky making...it's cheap and super lean. Perfect for jerky.

Just my opinion.

Brad
Every grocery store around here labels top round as 'london broil' - the nice thing about it is that I can often get it on sale for 2.99/lb (up until the great beef shortage of '24 which has prices up across the board)

I feel you - imo picanha is still just plain old sirloin cap. It irks me and for no reason.

OP - As mentioned, selling to homies is one thing, state by state rules differ on you being a food prep/retailer.

Every grocery store around here labels top round as 'london broil' - the nice thing about it is that I can often get it on sale for 2.99/lb (up until the great beef shortage of '24 which has prices up across the board)

I feel you - imo picanha is still just plain old sirloin cap. It irks me and for no reason.

OP - As mentioned, selling to homies is one thing, state by state rules differ on you being a food prep/retailer.
I agree, it is annoying when supermarkets use colloquialisms instead of actual cuts. It makes it harder for the casual shopper to get the right cut.... Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: mike243
Do the math, then sell it to your friends for pennies on the dollar. Make up the difference by charging buckeye fans a huge mark up in price.

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky