Deer Jerky Marinade/Seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cast_Iron

Original poster
Feb 6, 2017
Need a good recipe or link to a pre-made jerky seasoning mix.

I have tried online recipes previously and they haven't been the best. Just ordered a Leggs jerky seasoning and it was way too salty.

My wife doesn't like anything too spicy or with too much pepper.

My wife doesn’t like spicy either - have you tried one of the teriyaki jerky recipes?

Here’s a link to a recipe I’ve used - you may want to cut back on the black pepper:

I'll second the high country and Owens , but throw in Nesco original .
If you try the High Country , look at the directions carefully . They list different amounts for whole muscle or ground meats .

• Love
Reactions: mossymo
I've made some Dale's low sodium that was good. There is also a marinade called Smoking Gun that is really good. It's local, but many sporting goods stores, HyVee etc have it. They also have an online store but not sure how expensive shipping is.

Need a good recipe or link to a pre-made jerky seasoning mix.

I have tried online recipes previously and they haven't been the best. Just ordered a Leggs jerky seasoning and it was way too salty.

My wife doesn't like anything too spicy or with too much pepper.
Hi there and welcome! I don't have a tried and true jerky seasoning that isn't hot for you.

HOWEVER, I've found that when using a store bought seasoning like your Leggs that the following often works best for measuring and not getting too salty.
1st you have to have a scale that can tare out.
Put your marinating tub on the scale and... tare it out to zero :D

Now put your meat and liquid in the tub while it's on the scale and get the weight.

A little math time now.
Multiply that weight by either 0.0275 (this is 2.75%) or 0.030 (3%) if you want to shoot for a little saltier.
That number is the weight of seasoning you can use and I bet money you get the flavor without getting too salty.

I've had great success doing this with a number of store bought seasonings because I think they shoot for 2% salt (or a little more) and 1% sugar. I think that they might get a little heavy with the salt though going over 2% since it is cheap and helps ensure greater meat safety.

So you may want to give this a shot with your Legg's seasoning on a small batch and then write down your notes what % nails it, if it takes a few shots. Then you will be good to buy and use the seasoning anytime, ignoring their measurements and getting it right :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky