BOUDIN!! 70#.....Long, lots of pics...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My first thought was my goodness so much effort. Then I saw pig liver

:emoji_neutral_face:

LOL, one of my work buddies lives in Pierre Part so I've had boudin on several occasions and enjoyed it. Only thing I had to pass on was the day he cooked gar.

Very nice post and write up.
Thanks texomakid. I'll eat fresh alligator gar if it is done right.

IDS, Nice job, I can almost smell and taste your boudin from here. I would all over that !
Thanks crazy! I should be good for a while...

Reactions: texomakid
I'm lazy, and that would be WAAAY too much work for me. Haha
But I wouldn't hesitate to chow down on a bowl or two of it. It looks delicious.
Nicely done!!!
I’m in the same boat here. Can I just put in an order for a couple of pounds?

Jim

• Haha
Reactions: 02ebz06
Big batch of Boudin today....4 boston butts worth, so a 4X batch. Had to use the 15gal. jambalaya pot. I have not made boudin in a while cause I been needing a new burner for the rig. Got that sorted out so off we go!!

Ok...First I cut the fat caps off (saved for goose/pork sausage) the 4 butts and deboned them. You will see further down thread why I did this...
View attachment 694769

Mixed up the seasoning...half will be used on the butts, the other half will be added to the finished boudin when mixing...
View attachment 694768

Butts seasoned up ready to sear...
View attachment 694770

Used some of the pork fat left over from skimming the jambalaya I cooked last weekend...
View attachment 694771

First two inda pot to sear....medium heat, I don't want to burn them.
View attachment 694772

Added 16 blade bones from the freezer to the 4 off the butts. These were off the pork I have bought in the last two weeks making stuff....will make the stock in the pot for the boudin...View attachment 694773

~5# pork liver....
View attachment 694774

Pureed inda blender with a little water to make a slurry....
View attachment 694805

After the butts are good and seared on all sides, pull those and set to cool on a large sheet pan. Add the onions and celery to the pot...
View attachment 694775

Looking good...
View attachment 694811

Now to add the pureed liver...
View attachment 694810

I want to sear the crap out of the liver. This will soften the bite from the liver and deepen the flavor and color for the finished boudin...

While the liver and onions are browning, I sliced the deboned butts into roughly 1/2" steaks. The meat will fall apart in the pot and this will give a great texture in the final product. I don't grind the meat.
View attachment 694813

Pulled out a 5.5# bag of pork skins from the freezer. This is from the hams and front shoulder I bought in Oct. 2023 for making Salumi...
View attachment 694807
View attachment 694808

Put the skin in a ham net so I can fish it out of the pot later to grind thru 4.5mm plate...
View attachment 694777

Liver and onions is looking good so time to add 1/2# sliced green onion....
View attachment 694809

Now add the pork back to the pot...
View attachment 694776

I added 2 gallons of water, put the bones in along with the bag of skin. Brought that up to a soft boil while I sliced more green onions...
View attachment 694778

Added the bottoms to the pot... the tops will be for the finish...
View attachment 694779

Now add 1/4c. both onion and garlic powder to the pot...
View attachment 694780

And let it cook....simmer on low for 4 hours. While that is cooking, I cleaned up the kitchen and got the grinder set up to grind the skin.
View attachment 694781
Ok, 2 hours later, time to fish the bag of skins out of the pot. I used one of my ham hooks...worked perfect.
View attachment 694782

Cooked skin out of the bag...
View attachment 694783

Skin ground through 4.5mm plate...
View attachment 694784

There is a TON of flavor in that ground skin. Added back to the pot to cook down some more to melt into gelatin...
View attachment 694785

1 hour out from the stuff in the pot being ready, I cooked the rice....that is a #12 dutch oven full to the top....16cups of rice and 22c. of water...
View attachment 694788

Now we are looking good! meat is falling apart and the bones are boiled clean...
View attachment 694789
View attachment 694792

Prepped 2 totes for mixing...layer green onion tops in each....
View attachment 694786

rest of the seasoning divided between the totes....
View attachment 694787

now the meat from the pot on top to gently cook the green onion tops....
View attachment 694793

Now I take 2qts. of the stock from the pot and run my immersion blender through it. This pulverizes the ground skin and essentially makes gelatin...it's all jiggly and thick! Repeat until all the stock in the pot has been run through with the immersion blender....
View attachment 694794

Divided this evenly between the two totes...and add the rice (divided)...
View attachment 694795
View attachment 694796

And mix very well with a spoon.....yep, it's done when the spoon will stand....
View attachment 694798

Had to fish out a few pieces of cartilage that came off the bones....
View attachment 694797

And it's done. Here is a close up shot.
View attachment 694799

It is still piping hot and a little runny, but will tighten up as the rice absorbs more liquid and the boudin chills....the gelatin will set like jello.

Of course I had to eat some....this is supper for me. Damn good with a beer! Long day in the kitchen for me....time for my recliner! Have the boudin on ice. Got (5) 2gallon bags....70# total. Half of it will be going to my cousin.
View attachment 694800

Oh- the close up plate shot......money....
View attachment 694801
Absolutely awesome! I have followed your process few times before and love the result. Always make sure I have a good supply in the freezer since I usually have a link or two for lunch two or three times a week. Thanks for sharing your experience with us all. I for one always enjoy reading your posts.

Reactions: indaswamp
Damn indaswamp indaswamp That looks Amazing!! Love the step by step with Awesome pics! Never had that but I would definitely mop a Bowl of that with a cold beer!! Nice Job!!

Absolutely awesome! I have followed your process few times before and love the result. Always make sure I have a good supply in the freezer since I usually have a link or two for lunch two or three times a week. Thanks for sharing your experience with us all. I for one always enjoy reading your posts.
Thanks checkdude! Glad to know you love boudin too!
Also glad you enjoy my posts. I try to help where I can...

Damn indaswamp indaswamp That looks Amazing!! Love the step by step with Awesome pics! Never had that but I would definitely mop a Bowl of that with a cold beer!! Nice Job!!
Thanks Redicans!

Big batch of Boudin today....4 boston butts worth, so a 4X batch. Had to use the 15gal. jambalaya pot. I have not made boudin in a while cause I been needing a new burner for the rig. Got that sorted out so off we go!!

Ok...First I cut the fat caps off (saved for goose/pork sausage) the 4 butts and deboned them. You will see further down thread why I did this...
View attachment 694769

Mixed up the seasoning...half will be used on the butts, the other half will be added to the finished boudin when mixing...
View attachment 694768

Butts seasoned up ready to sear...
View attachment 694770

Used some of the pork fat left over from skimming the jambalaya I cooked last weekend...
View attachment 694771

First two inda pot to sear....medium heat, I don't want to burn them.
View attachment 694772

Added 16 blade bones from the freezer to the 4 off the butts. These were off the pork I have bought in the last two weeks making stuff....will make the stock in the pot for the boudin...View attachment 694773

~5# pork liver....
View attachment 694774

Pureed inda blender with a little water to make a slurry....
View attachment 694805

After the butts are good and seared on all sides, pull those and set to cool on a large sheet pan. Add the onions and celery to the pot...
View attachment 694775

Looking good...
View attachment 694811

Now to add the pureed liver...
View attachment 694810

I want to sear the crap out of the liver. This will soften the bite from the liver and deepen the flavor and color for the finished boudin...

While the liver and onions are browning, I sliced the deboned butts into roughly 1/2" steaks. The meat will fall apart in the pot and this will give a great texture in the final product. I don't grind the meat.
View attachment 694813

Pulled out a 5.5# bag of pork skins from the freezer. This is from the hams and front shoulder I bought in Oct. 2023 for making Salumi...
View attachment 694807
View attachment 694808

Put the skin in a ham net so I can fish it out of the pot later to grind thru 4.5mm plate...
View attachment 694777

Liver and onions is looking good so time to add 1/2# sliced green onion....
View attachment 694809

Now add the pork back to the pot...
View attachment 694776

I added 2 gallons of water, put the bones in along with the bag of skin. Brought that up to a soft boil while I sliced more green onions...
View attachment 694778

Added the bottoms to the pot... the tops will be for the finish...
View attachment 694779

Now add 1/4c. both onion and garlic powder to the pot...
View attachment 694780

And let it cook....simmer on low for 4 hours. While that is cooking, I cleaned up the kitchen and got the grinder set up to grind the skin.
View attachment 694781
Ok, 2 hours later, time to fish the bag of skins out of the pot. I used one of my ham hooks...worked perfect.
View attachment 694782

Cooked skin out of the bag...
View attachment 694783

Skin ground through 4.5mm plate...
View attachment 694784

There is a TON of flavor in that ground skin. Added back to the pot to cook down some more to melt into gelatin...
View attachment 694785

1 hour out from the stuff in the pot being ready, I cooked the rice....that is a #12 dutch oven full to the top....16cups of rice and 22c. of water...
View attachment 694788

Now we are looking good! meat is falling apart and the bones are boiled clean...
View attachment 694789
View attachment 694792

Prepped 2 totes for mixing...layer green onion tops in each....
View attachment 694786

rest of the seasoning divided between the totes....
View attachment 694787

now the meat from the pot on top to gently cook the green onion tops....
View attachment 694793

Now I take 2qts. of the stock from the pot and run my immersion blender through it. This pulverizes the ground skin and essentially makes gelatin...it's all jiggly and thick! Repeat until all the stock in the pot has been run through with the immersion blender....
View attachment 694794

Divided this evenly between the two totes...and add the rice (divided)...
View attachment 694795
View attachment 694796

And mix very well with a spoon.....yep, it's done when the spoon will stand....
View attachment 694798

Had to fish out a few pieces of cartilage that came off the bones....
View attachment 694797

And it's done. Here is a close up shot.
View attachment 694799

It is still piping hot and a little runny, but will tighten up as the rice absorbs more liquid and the boudin chills....the gelatin will set like jello.

Of course I had to eat some....this is supper for me. Damn good with a beer! Long day in the kitchen for me....time for my recliner! Have the boudin on ice. Got (5) 2gallon bags....70# total. Half of it will be going to my cousin.
View attachment 694800

Oh- the close up plate shot......money....
View attachment 694801
Great job as always and made with authentic Cajun skills. As mentioned here, boudin is a lot of work, I average 25lbs at a time, cooking and stuffing in the same day by myself, full day of work. Can't imagine 70lb by myself.

Can't get any better tasting boudin then eating it right after it is complete. I can taste it just by looking at it plated lol. A+ thanks for sharing

Reactions: indaswamp
After reading this, reminded that I miss boudin and want to make it again; I called the rural grocery store about 5 miles form me and asked about pork liver. At first the guy told me they dont have it, but asked his manager about where else to get it. The manager said a couple other people had asked about it (no idea what you do with pork liver other than boudin but there are people in Virginia that eat it apparently), and ordered some and she (manager) took my name and number.

I was able to get the liver and had her cut me some pork steaks (seasoned and flash grilled before going in the stew pot is my recipe) and picked up my order last Thursday. Pretty cool that my local country grocer will put together custom orders.

Regular grocery shopping wont be till sometime later this week so I broke the liver down in to boudin recipe portions and froze it as well as the steaks. I just need a few fist fulls of green onions and some fresh parsley and it's on! Got my pork casings for stuffing already too!

Cant imagine 25-70lb batches...wow. Mine run more in the less than 10lb batches, but I dont think I've ever weighed. I'll do that this time.

Forgot to post this earlier....tub o boudin links...
IMG_20240429_184209.jpg

I had 2 totes full to the top of links. ended up with 40 packs; 3 links to a pack. I made 9" links.

I have tried a few times but was not pleased with the way they turned out. I liked the smoked boudin sold at Best Stop in Scott, Louisiana before they sold the place to a new owner. I keep trying to recreate it, have not succeeded yet.

Nice links! Even more inspiration for me to get mine made!

I agree, smoking boudin wasn't to my liking. It not only made the casing weird but boudin is such a particular flavor profile, adding smoke just doesn't work for me.

People do grill and fry the links too, but that never appealed to me either. At a restaurant in East Texas some years ago, I was so happy to see boudin on the menu. It came out pan fried! I was like, "why would you do that?", but people do...for some reason.

Heating it to just "hot" is my preference. My method adds green onions and fresh parsley at the end before stuffing or otherwise heating to eat. Getting the boudin nice and hot takes the "raw" out of those and releases the flavors. After heating I like to cut the links right in half and squirt the stuff right in to my pie hole, discarding the casing which is only a vessel to hold and heat the stuff when eaten this way.

Thank you for your inspiration Inda! Got my batch made and my recipe worked well. It had been several years since I made a batch and I was trying to remember if I had it tweaked. Well, yes! I have two other notes to add a little more bouillon granules to my stock pot (Use instead of salt in many recipes) and a little more moisture but its danged good. Cant even taste the liver but the flavor would not be the same without it...if that makes sense! It's like "umami" for boudin!

My recipe makes a bit over 6 1/2 pounds. A lot of work for what ends up bieng only 4 servings (two links each for me and the wife, 16 links total plus a little left in the bottom of the stuffer for pan frying. I stuff mine at about 9" long too) but thats about all I would want to deal with and dont have the huge containers, etc...and really no good place to store them if I bought them.

Your boudin is more blonde than mine. Reminds me of Poche's I used to order. Mine is fashioned to align with the flavor profile of Don's so its a little darker. I use my Cajun seasoning recipe for a lot of the flavor and it has paprika in it; and I flash grill the pork steaks which brings plenty of caramel color to the stock.

Two questions if you dont mind sharing:

-What's your technique for cooking the large batch of rice? I always seem to have rice that has a little crunch left after the specified cooking time and when I cook it longer to get the grains soft, they are then really soft. They go from not done to getting sticky and mushy. Still delicious, but just curious if there's a technique I should know. Don's is always intact rice with pieces and chunks of meat and fat. I'm not expecting to be exactly like theirs but they somehow have better rice texture. Are you using long grain rice?

-What is your favorite heating method? I decided to heat the links up in the traditional pan of water, took my eye off it to go change clothes and by the time I got back a half a link had released itself in to the water. That stuff is gold so I rescued it quickly, strained it and shook some Cajun seasoning over it! It ain't going to waste on my watch! This has been a boudin problem for as long as I have known anything about boudin. I've even blown up boudin in a crock pot!...but ate it like soup!

Attachments

• Boudin 2024.jpg
    Boudin 2024.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 2
What's your technique for cooking the large batch of rice?
For every cup of rice, I use 1.25~1.3 cups of water. Heat the water in the pot on the stove, then add the rice. Bring to a hard rolling boil then lid and I put the cast iron pot in the oven @350*F. Bake20 minutes, then flip/stir...another 15 minutes, flip and stir. After another 10 minutes, turn the oven off, let sit for 25 minutes in the hot oven. Rice should be cooked thru...not hard, and not mushy.
What is your favorite heating method?
I like to sous vide the bag @150*F if I can. If not good ole microwave works for a quick lunch.

Thanks Inda.

I'll have to try the oven rice method, but dang it, it's heading in to the "no bake" summer season! I do have a portable oven I could try outside and my rice batch is only 3 cups, so it would fit. That oven is not the most even cooking appliance I have though.

I thought you would have some super Cajun heating method that ended in "eoux"...Ha, ha! Joking, but my buddy's wife is always ending words that way! I'm not afraid of the plastic like some, so microwaving IN the vac sealed plastic has been my go to in past times. It keeps the links from blowing out. I used the water-in-pan method this time because I had not vac sealed the links yet.

indaswamp indaswamp wow, great writeup and pics! Thanks for the effort, enjoyable post to read.

ALSO... I see you listed 10kg pistachio lemon salami. Like 1 or 2 years ago, you posted how you made that and loved it, and I bookmarked it. Now I see 10kg, I'm wondering if this is your current favorite? I have thought on it a few times, thinking of making it... thx!

indaswamp indaswamp wow, great writeup and pics! Thanks for the effort, enjoyable post to read.

ALSO... I see you listed 10kg pistachio lemon salami. Like 1 or 2 years ago, you posted how you made that and loved it, and I bookmarked it. Now I see 10kg, I'm wondering if this is your current favorite? I have thought on it a few times, thinking of making it... thx!
Not my favorite, but it is top 3 for me. Calabrian would be my favorite. I just weighed my test salami to track the weight loss...close to 25% weight loss right now, another 10% to go...

Not my favorite, but it is top 3 for me. Calabrian would be my favorite. I just weighed my test salami to track the weight loss...close to 25% weight loss right now, another 10% to go...
I did a search for you, calabrian, only found a njuda and calabrian fresh. Is there another calabrian salami you make? I'm trying to find something I feel like spending 6-8 weeks on, and you're the guy to ask ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky