Creamy German Sausage, Potato and Sauerkraut Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Not many pictures as this was not a planned post but another that just taste so good had to share. I had bought those Kielbasa at Sam's that Jeff had mentioned and looking for ways to use them. Was planning on doing Jeff's keto version but decided on this as did not have daikon:

4 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, finely diced
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 1/2 cups milk
1 - 14 ounce Polska Kielbasa, halved and sliced
1 1/2 cups cooked diced potatoes
1 cup sauerkraut
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
black pepper

Simmer the diced potato for about 6 minutes. Still had some bite to them. I saute the sausage. Added the butter to the sausage fat in the pan and saute onions. Added salt and pepper to onions. Stirred in flour and let cook couple minutes. I had made some chicken broth I made using bones from couple game hens. Put in in pot with milk and let thicken. Added potatoes and let come back to simmer. Added sauerkraut and sausage. Back to a simmer and added cheese and took off heat. Stirred it all up. Took a taste and Wow was it good.

IMG_20240416_170058171.jpg IMG_20240416_170146799.jpg

Looks awesome Brian. I remember my version of this with Daikon. If I can't score Daikon I use turnips too. It was tasty as I'm sure this is. I've got a busy bch of smoked sausage in the freezer. Scored a 10 lbs box for $25. I'll have to add this to the list.

Brian, that looks great and would be right up my alley, but my wife is not a fan of creamy soups, unfortunately...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky