Mashed Potato Casserole...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...with a side of baby backs...😄

Yesterday was another smoked baby back ribs day and for a side, I wanted to do something besides regular mashed or smashed potatoes. I thought about a mashed potato casserole so I searched on here and the only one I could find was David's DRKsmoking DRKsmoking posted here...

So his pointed me in a direction and here we go...
  • 4 lbs. gold potatoes peeled
  • 1 cup ½&½
  • ½ stick of unsalted butter
  • 2 heaping TBS sour cream
  • 8 oz. extra sharp white cheddar cheese shredded
  • 4 oz. cream cheese
  • 1 lb. bacon fried crispy and chopped
  • Green onion chopped for looks
  • Salt & white pepper to taste
Chop and boil the potatoes in heavily salted water. Combine the ½&½, butter, sour cream in a pot on low to warm the milk and melt the butter...
20240325_120116[1].jpg

20240325_120136[1].jpg

Once the potatoes are tender, drain and add the cream cheese and mash...
20240325_123946[1].jpg

Next, I added about half of the white cheddar cheese and mixed to combine. Then the sour cream/butter/milk combo a little at a time until I got the consistency I was looking for, it didn't take quite all of it. Mixed to combine. Tasted and add the salt and white pepper. I added about 2 tsp of each...
20240325_120726[1].jpg

Put in all in a glass baking dish and scatter the chopped bacon on top, then the rest of the cheddar cheese. Cover with foil and baked at 375℉ for about 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 15-20 minutes longer until the cheese starts to brown....
20240325_125903[1].jpg

Scatter the chopped green onions on top, ready to eat...
20240325_174455[1].jpg

I served this with smoked baby back ribs that were coated with a dry rub, nothing special. Smoked with cherry splits for 4 hours then sauced a few times for the next 2 hours. One was a spicy red sauce and the other was a gold sauce. No foil wrap...
20240325_131657[1].jpg

20240325_172916[1].jpg

20240325_174313[1].jpg

Served with a salad and garlic bread. Time to eat...
20240325_180107[1].jpg

I wanted to make a post for others that may be looking for something else to do with potatoes, that's why this is here in the 'Sides' forum. Also added a tag.

Another note is to be careful warming the sour cream/butter/milk mixture. Whisk to prevent separation. Better way may be to warm the milk and butter before adding the sour cream, then whisk to combine...

Last edited:
Delicious looking meal! But have to say the spuds steal the show for me!

Ryan

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Looks great Charles .
My Son is the master of the twice baked tater casserole around here . Good stuff .

Man do those potatoes look good... OH... the ribs do too....

Let me ask... How many BIG eaters will the potatoes feed ??
Keith, it should feed 10 normal eaters so I'd guess 5-6 with big appetites. Thanks for the compliments...

Heck of a dish Charles. I'm gonna have to give these a whirl real soon. I'll probably add some garlic to the mix. I love me some garlicky mash taters.

Point for sure
Chris

Heck of a dish Charles. I'm gonna have to give these a whirl real soon. I'll probably add some garlic to the mix. I love me some garlicky mash taters.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris. I think garlic would be a great addition!

Reactions: 801driver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky