New Dyna-Glo vertical offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi I am based in the uk & have just bought one of these, I'm looking to seal the firebox to the main body but what is the heat rating of the silicone? Struggling to find anything rated above 250c ? Thanks in advance :)

I opted to mate firebox to cook chamber with nomex gasket instead of high temp silicone and didn't have any leakage. The higher temp silicone's(650*+) i found didnt have FDA ratings for food contact and was concerned with off gassing over a long period of time.I did add additional bolts to tighten up and strengthen mating surface.

Last edited:
Reactions: powder74
I went to buy this today but inwas so dissapointed with the quality i didnt purchase in the end just weighing up the cost of the mods adds 50 ish to the price i keep looking at the tepro fairfax, much heavier guage steel but 350 price tag, just can help thinking if i get the dyna im gonna regret not getting the fairfax, the uk is very limited on vertial smokers! But i really like the look of the dyna glo!... so torn lol

Hi I am based in the uk & have just bought one of these, I'm looking to seal the firebox to the main body but what is the heat rating of the silicone? Struggling to find anything rated above 250c ? Thanks in advance :)
I was under the impression you had already purchased unit. The smoker you have mentioned (Tepro) looks identical to a Brinkman Trailmaster here in USA. There is still mods you'll have to do-seal firebox to cc, fb door and cook chamber door to eliminate air leakage. You'll have to weigh the differences. Use the search bar for mods too each unit for a decision. Stop by Roll Call and introduce yourself, i'm sure some trailmaster user's will chime in.

Last edited:
Firebox air damper was becoming a PITA, so dug into my pack rat box of s-crap at work and finished this up this morning. Real back saver for me and after it gets mounted to cart should work even better with no bending over at all. Next on the list,
secondary upper air intakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rings Я Us
i may have watched that Lol, figured whatever i but i will have to seal it up!!

Last edited:
Hey someone else from MA and not far away!! LOL!! I'm in Brockton and love my Dyna- Glo. I'd love to see your mods!!

Decided i really like the design of this regardless of the mods that need to be done... next weeks job awaits!
You will not regret it, Powder.  Despite the seemingly inferior materials, the fact is, this thing works well.  

You can really turn out some quality smoked meats with this vertical-offset design.

The many mods shown in the previous pages of this thread add much quality (I've done several myself) but the basic design was spot-on to provide a platform that heats the chamber in a very consistent fashion.

For a newbie like me, I often see it holding right at 225F for hours.

Looking forward to see what you do with it.

--FR

Well no suprise i couldnt wait to get it assembled lol got some high temp rtv sealer & gave a good bead all the way round the fire box & have ordered some thermal tape for around both doors ( thats bloody exspensive!) its not arrived yet though, i have also added a small deflector plate in the smoke chamber near the fire box hole... but will be giving it a couple of dry runs over the weekend to season it in, the issue is can I then wait for the thermal tape for the doors or will sneak some test meat in there ... we all know whats gonna happen!!!

Sure, when you do apply your sealing tape make sure you clean your mating surface well. Soapy water, alcohol wipe and apply. Best results have been applying tape to firebox door rather than firebox body. Have fun.

+1
NEVER put the Dyna-Glo on a wood deck!

According to the National Fire Protection Association:
"Sparks, embers or flames from operated cooking equipment resulted in 24,900 fires and 120 deaths in 2016."

Now, back to the mods.  Here's a pic of the insulation that I put on mine.
I chose these 1-inch thick mineral wool boards for a few reasons.  They're non-combustible (it's basalt, not glass) and there's no plastic to melt or give off noxious fumes.  Also, it's foil-faced to reflect radiant energy back inward.

You can see to the left of the photo how I wrapped the edges in sheet metal angle, then foil tape over that.  The final step was to paint over all the foil with high-heat flat black paint.

I'd say it's worked out great because it'll hold 225F for a couple hours on very little charcoal.

--FR
+1
NEVER put the Dyna-Glo on a wood deck!

According to the National Fire Protection Association:
"Sparks, embers or flames from operated cooking equipment resulted in 24,900 fires and 120 deaths in 2016."

Now, back to the mods.  Here's a pic of the insulation that I put on mine.
I chose these 1-inch thick mineral wool boards for a few reasons.  They're non-combustible (it's basalt, not glass) and there's no plastic to melt or give off noxious fumes.  Also, it's foil-faced to reflect radiant energy back inward.

You can see to the left of the photo how I wrapped the edges in sheet metal angle, then foil tape over that.  The final step was to paint over all the foil with high-heat flat black paint.

I'd say it's worked out great because it'll hold 225F for a couple hours on very little charcoal.

--FR

This may be a dumb question but how did you attach the mineral wool board to the smoker?

Thanks!

This may be a dumb question but how did you attach the mineral wool board to the smoker?

Thanks!
The metal frame is screwed to the cabinet.  That's what holds the insulation in place.  
First I bend the angle into the proper picture-frame shape, drill 1/8-inch hole in the angle, then use self-drilling/self-tapping screws to attach frame to smoker cabinet.

The last step, which is entirely optional, was to cover the angles, gaps, seams, etc. with foil tape; thus blocking any airflow in & around the insulation (too prevent heat loss).

--FR

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky