New Dyna-Glo vertical offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
+1

NEVER put the Dyna-Glo on a wood deck!

According to the National Fire Protection Association:

"Sparks, embers or flames from operated cooking equipment resulted in 24,900 fires and 120 deaths in 2016."

Now, back to the mods.  Here's a pic of the insulation that I put on mine.

I chose these 1-inch thick mineral wool boards for a few reasons.  They're non-combustible (it's basalt, not glass) and there's no plastic to melt or give off noxious fumes.  Also, it's foil-faced to reflect radiant energy back inward.

You can see to the left of the photo how I wrapped the edges in sheet metal angle, then foil tape over that.  The final step was to paint over all the foil with high-heat flat black paint.

I'd say it's worked out great because it'll hold 225F for a couple hours on very little charcoal.

--FR

Last edited:
Reactions: smittsmoke
Looks great might have to try some mods. Yep I put it on a wooden deck and it now has some char marks after the first attempt I got some 24x24 stone for underneath for safety. I have no fears of fires now!

Mock-up of door and hinge...
Okay, drilled the door and countersunk the thru holes...

Just flush or slightly below.
Then cut the hinge to length, cleaned it up a bit and installed.

Attached a piece of 1/2-13 threaded rod with a couple of nuts and washers.  The horizontal piece of rod will recieve a 6" nickel plated spring handle once it arrives from amazon tomorrow.  Relocated handle and will use a stronger bolt and nut combo.  The firebox top door must weigh in at 8 to 10 pounds!

Will install the rest of the Nomex when it gets here as well...more pics to follow.  Need to set-up a rest for the door when open next.  

Last edited:
No, that double wall is still open (false bottom inside the firebox and space between the actual top of the firebox).  Will be closing that off with sheet stock on all four sides.

Insulator, I know it's not a large volume to have a dramatic effect but enough to quench raw heat from radiating to exterior surface. Down the road i'll be insulating and skinning my widebody anyway so it will improve the heat loss a little bit more.

Last edited:
Okay, seasoned her for an hour at 300 degrees.  Could not for the life of me get it lower.

Added a water tray, now running at 257 degrees for the last hour steady...used the minion method and then added wood.  All seesm well. First real cook tomorrow morning. A tad nervous although excited.

Modded firebox door came out awesome!  So easy to dump chimney and add wood.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky