Offset Smoker Fire management

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Yoder Owner

Original poster
Feb 26, 2024
Clovis New Mexico
If you like the offset smoker and cooking old school method visit YouTube and search and watch Aaron Franklin Fire Talk.
YouTube has several Fire management related to the offset smokers some are good and some not so good. Two important things, never soak wood in water. It causes wood to smolder and smoldering wood creates dirty smoke.
Also preheat wood so once it’s placed in the firebox it almost immediately burst into full flame. You should always build your fire structure Lincoln log style and continue building Lincoln log after your first coal bed. Chopping down to coals as soon as your wood starts ashing over. In small offset ONLY use just under 2” x 2” x 10” and you can get by using 1.5” x 1.5” x 10” to 12” lengths. Attached is a picture that’s in my fire management tools.

Attachments

• IMG_4540.jpeg
    IMG_4540.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Yes I agree. And if some swing the axe like a girl, then you can always position the axe head at the desired split location and hit the back side with a small sledgehammer (single jack) easy peasy.
Yep. I would add that using a dead blow hammer would ensure you don't damage the poll of your axe if doing it this way.

I don't swing like a girl, but find it less labor intensive to place a hatchet where I want the split and whack the hammer side of it with a 5lb sledge. Usually 1 or 2 whacks does it.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky