New Dyna-Glo vertical offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It was easy to apply, I cleaned the surface really good with some hot soapy water and let it dry. Laid down a thick bead all around the firebox and screwed it back in place. I also added a bead around the outside. I haven't tried it yet, the cure time was 24hrs. I light a fire in it tonight and see how it goes!

I was worried about mine being to loose, but actually on the first cook it expanded to where I had to lube it a little to get it to move at all.  Actually bent back the thumb thing when I was trying to move it.
Now that I added the lava lock to the firebox want to gets hot the air vents actually seal up nice. They did not do this until I sealed the box. I've been burning a chimney and a half of charcoal at 2:25 to 250 for an hour and a half now. Now I just need to nomex the doors.

I picked up my Dyna-Glo last week and I have it all set up with a lot of the mods I found in his post. Thank you all so much for putting the time in and being so detailed. This is my first real smoker I have always used my Webber Kettle before this. I have just a coulle of questions.

1) I'm using this gen minion method with wood chuncks covered in lump coal around the edges and then putting about 1/2 of a chimney full of ready coals in the center. How long do you let it sit before adding your meat?

2) What brand of lump do you guys recommend? I have kingsford blue that I use to get things started but I like to use big lump coal however I live in a small town and can only buy Royal Oak which I haven't had much success with.

3) How much time do you plan to add when smoking a second or third product? For example if I want to smoke a 10 lbs brisket I would plan for 11-12 hours of cook time but what if I want to cook two 5lbs briskests? It's got to affect the heat in some way just not sure how to plan it out so my start time meshes up with dinner.

Thank you all!

I picked up my Dyna-Glo last week and I have it all set up with a lot of the mods I found in his post. Thank you all so much for putting the time in and being so detailed. This is my first real smoker I have always used my Webber Kettle before this. I have just a coulle of questions.

1) I'm using this gen minion method with wood chuncks covered in lump coal around the edges and then putting about 1/2 of a chimney full of ready coals in the center. How long do you let it sit before adding your meat?

2) What brand of lump do you guys recommend? I have kingsford blue that I use to get things started but I like to use big lump coal however I live in a small town and can only buy Royal Oak which I haven't had much success with.

3) How much time do you plan to add when smoking a second or third product? For example if I want to smoke a 10 lbs brisket I would plan for 11-12 hours of cook time but what if I want to cook two 5lbs briskests? It's got to affect the heat in some way just not sure how to plan it out so my start time meshes up with dinner.

Thank you all!

Congrats on the new purchase! I have had mine since Father's Day, I'm still getting used to it but I'll share what I have discovered so far.
I leave my vents and fire door open until the ignition smoke dies down (10 minutes or so) then I'll add a few larger wood chunks to get things rolling.
As far charcoal my favorite so far is the royal oak briquettes. When I use lump I found s brand called cowboy, seems to work well for me!
As for #3, I'm not sure! Curious to learn about that as well!

Reactions: papasmoker
Just did my first test burn/seasoning on my Dyna-Glo today. The lump charcoal seems to burn very hot and I think I got too much of the basket going too early. It got up to 300 very quick and with the damper completely closed and the chimney choked it took a while to get down to 275. With it well sealed, Lavalock gasket on the doors it hardly leaked at all. I am thinking of making a minion like separator to split the basket down the center so one side burns and then the other side. Lower temps and longer burn time. I added a baffle that comes half way across the main cabinet and temps seemed pretty consistent top to bottom and side to side. I would imagine that a big piece of meat would suck up a lot of heat though. Planning on a brisket and 3 racks of ribs for the 4th.

How did you use the lava lock on the doors? My firebox door is pretty even, but my cook chamber door has an even gaps not sure how to go about sealing that.

The fire box was easy. I put it on the door side to keep the adhesive as far away from the fire as possible. Cleaned it with 409 and alcohol and stuck it on. The main door is more difficult because the gap is a bit thinner on the hindge side than the handle side. I applied it the same way but when I closed the door there were gaps at the top and bottom corners of the right side of the door. I used a drill with a round sanding head and thinned the lavalock gasket a bit on the hindge side. That helped a little and it closed better but didn't get rid of the gaps. I bought two 2 & 3/4 draw hasps and added them to the top and bottom of the door to close it up tight. Hard to see the one on the bottom of the door.

Last edited:
I made an internal baffle as well. It ends in the center of the box in the hopes it would center the hot air going vertical. I would not use lump charcoal again. Briquets consistent size and cooler burn would be better. The fire box divider did a great job extending the length if time I got on a full basket. I went over 4 hours before I had to reload. In the second shot I was adding 2 more chunks of wood but you can see the right side is almost all burned and the fire has just turned the corner and started the left side.

Last edited:

I used a piece of steel from Lowe's slanted on a downward angle, and, along with the water pan, has done wonders.

WOW.  That's makes so much sense.  I don't weld and never knew what to do about installing the baffler.  I never thought to just simply put a piece of sheet metal in long enough to just lay there.  

Simple but Brilliant.  Thanks.  Now where to get the piece of sheet metal.  lol.  Thanks 

WOW.  That's makes so much sense.  I don't weld and never knew what to do about installing the baffler.  I never thought to just simply put a piece of sheet metal in long enough to just lay there.  

Simple but Brilliant.  Thanks.  Now where to get the piece of sheet metal.  lol.  Thanks 
Available at Lowe's.  Have seen them at most every store I'm in.

Just joined and a newbie to all of this although took the time to upgrade my new Dyna with a good number of mods detailed in this forum thread.  You guys and gals are amazing with what you come up with.  So, only question I have is has anyone made the top of the firebox a functioning door to make dropping coals and wood in easier during the burn cycle?  Not real crazy about opening the side door, pulling out the rack and balancing it on the small rails.  Maybe if the rack had a positive stop although I can see myself pulling that out onto the ground some day...thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Those mods look great. I would like to do the same thing with my fire box. I'm afraid to put my smoker on my deck because I've dumped my rack of coals once.

Those mods look great. I would like to do the same thing with my fire box. I'm afraid to put my smoker on my deck because I've dumped my rack of coals once
I've burned my toes more than once when adding fuel while wearing my flip flops.  Those embers do drop out of that rack, I wouldn't put one on a wooden deck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky