My first try at a crawfish boil!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you to Keith indaswamp indaswamp for helping me with this. I used his recipe & followed it to a tee. Here is the recipe:

View attachment 698880

We got all the ingredients ready while the water came to a boil.

View attachment 698881

Once the water got to a good rolling boil we put the spices in, turned the heat down & let them cook for 20 minutes.

View attachment 698882

Next we put in everything else except the corn & crawfish and let them cook for 10 minutes.

View attachment 698883

Now the star of the show! Of course that would be me😎.

View attachment 698884

Into the jacuzzi they go!

View attachment 698885

This where I did change one thing, we didn’t put the frozen corn in with the crawfish.
After returning to a boil we cooked them for 5 minutes.

View attachment 698886

Then turned off the fire, and added the frozen corn, 1 stick of frozen butter (not in original recipe), and a couple of pounds of ice.
Covered it up & let it soak for 30 minutes.

View attachment 698887

After 30 minutes it’s time to see how good we did!

View attachment 698888

This experience was a whole lot of fun. Not only was it fun, but it was easy & fast. For me when something works well the first time it really is unusual. I always have something to say that I would change. Not this time, I wouldn’t change a thing. Since the season is about over, I guess my next boil will be a shrimp boil! Thank you again Keith for the inspiration & the help. Happy Father’s Day to all you Dad’s out there!
Al
Nice crawfish boil there! It's nice when it all just comes together aye :D

Reactions: SmokinAl
It runs from Dec-May, but Keith (@indaswamp) said they let it go a couple of weeks longer this year, because of last years dought.
Al
The drought should be over with the amount of water we are sending south this year.
I doubt the fish mongers will have crayfish early enough in December for the gathering. I don't think crab is in season either.

Nice crawfish boil there! It's nice when it all just comes together aye :D

Thank you, It is nice, I wish it happened more often!
Al

The drought should be over with the amount of water we are sending south this year.
I doubt the fish mongers will have crayfish early enough in December for the gathering. I don't think crab is in season either.

Yes you are probably right!
The price would be really high then too!
Al
SA, Nice job on the boil, everything looks awesome !

Thanks CM!
Al

THAT'S MONEY DUDE!

I would love to belly up to a table of that!

Thank you!
It was very good!
Al

Thanks Keith and Keith
Al, maybe we can entice you and Judy out to the gathering this year with a mixed up menu?
Thinking the only thing that's gonna be available fresh... Would probably be shrimp...
Any place to get them fresh off the trawler in the Tampa area?
December is the perfect ti,e of year for oysters.....
Good suggestion ... for the others.
Oysters will never again pass my lips. I just don't care for the flavor.

Ahhhhhhh!, ershters. Love them. My wife and I used to host Christmas Eve gatherings most years, til the kids went off to have lives of their own.

So I’d make gumbo and get a sack of oysters. I would shuck half the sack throughout the eve and chargrill the other half New Orleans style (couple pounds of butter, heaps of garlic and gratedParmesan and Romano).

Man, good stuff.

My late great Father-in-law helping with the shucking:
1719011788248.jpeg

1719011926485.jpeg

Some chargrilled:
1719011686411.jpeg

Sorry l. Not trying to usurp the thread. Just couldn’t resist when I saw oysters pop up.

Thinking the only thing that's gonna be available fresh... Would probably be shrimp...

December is the perfect ti,e of year for oysters.....

Thanks Keith and Keith
Al, maybe we can entice you and Judy out to the gathering this year with a mixed up menu?

Any place to get them fresh off the trawler in the Tampa area?

Good suggestion ... for the others.
Oysters will never again pass my lips. I just don't care for the flavor.

I could eat my weight in raw oysters, or shrimp for that matter!
I have the equipment to do a shrimp boil, probably at least 15# worth anyways.
Al

Ahhhhhhh!, ershters. Love them. My wife and I used to host Christmas Eve gatherings most years, til the kids went off to have lives of their own.

So I’d make gumbo and get a sack of oysters. I would shuck half the sack throughout the eve and chargrill the other half New Orleans style (couple pounds of butter, heaps of garlic and gratedParmesan and Romano).

Man, good stuff.

My late great Father-in-law helping with the shucking:
View attachment 699223
View attachment 699224

Some chargrilled:
View attachment 699222
Sorry l. Not trying to usurp the thread. Just couldn’t resist when I saw oysters pop up.

That looks spectacular!!
Al

Thanks, Al. We always passed a good thyme, Cher!

Funny thing: being born and raised south of I-10 in LA, I never developed the taste for oysters until I was close to 30. I came out of the womb eating crawfish, shrimp, and crab. But tried some oysters, both raw and cooked, as a young lad, but didn’t like em. Meh, life happens. Now I eat just about anything I can get my hands on. 🫢

Thanks, Al. We always passed a good thyme, Cher!

Funny thing: being born and raised south of I-10 in LA, I never developed the taste for oysters until I was close to 30. I came out of the womb eating crawfish, shrimp, and crab. But tried some oysters, both raw and cooked, as a young lad, but didn’t like em. Meh, life happens. Now I eat just about anything I can get my hands on. 🫢

The fresh seafood is what I miss about not being on the coast anymore. But with overnight shipping, you can get just about anything you want. However the downside is, it can be a bit pricey!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky