My first try at a crawfish boil!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you to Keith indaswamp indaswamp for helping me with this. I used his recipe & followed it to a tee. Here is the recipe:

View attachment 698880

We got all the ingredients ready while the water came to a boil.

View attachment 698881

Once the water got to a good rolling boil we put the spices in, turned the heat down & let them cook for 20 minutes.

View attachment 698882

Next we put in everything else except the corn & crawfish and let them cook for 10 minutes.

View attachment 698883

Now the star of the show! Of course that would be me😎.

View attachment 698884

Into the jacuzzi they go!

View attachment 698885

This where I did change one thing, we didn’t put the frozen corn in with the crawfish.
After returning to a boil we cooked them for 5 minutes.

View attachment 698886

Then turned off the fire, and added the frozen corn, 1 stick of frozen butter (not in original recipe), and a couple of pounds of ice.
Covered it up & let it soak for 30 minutes.

View attachment 698887

After 30 minutes it’s time to see how good we did!

View attachment 698888

This experience was a whole lot of fun. Not only was it fun, but it was easy & fast. For me when something works well the first time it really is unusual. I always have something to say that I would change. Not this time, I wouldn’t change a thing. Since the season is about over, I guess my next boil will be a shrimp boil! Thank you again Keith for the inspiration & the help. Happy Father’s Day to all you Dad’s out there!
Al
Got me hungry for crawfish now!
Looks like it's sitting on a table here in South Louisiana. Great job

Reactions: SmokinAl
Dang, how did I almost miss this one. That looks incredible Al. Those pictures sure make it look like you're winning at life. Nice work 👍

From a native of Baton Rouge: Salute! Nice stuff. Good work. Well done. 👍

I posted some years ago why Louisiana wasn’t really known for BBQ, despite many capable Pitmaster denizens from the Pelican State. The main reason was crawfish. Only a very few delicacies can match or exceed great BBQ: Boiled at home crawfish is at the top of the list. Just can’t beat it.

Hell of a first try Al!

Thanks Norm!
Al
Got me hungry for crawfish now!
Looks like it's sitting on a table here in South Louisiana. Great job

Now that is a compliment coming from a Cajun!
Thank-you!
Al
Dang, how did I almost miss this one. That looks incredible Al. Those pictures sure make it look like you're winning at life. Nice work 👍

Thank-you!
We are doing our best to enjoy every day!
Al

Only thing I can recommend is that if/when you do a shrimp boil, toss in some sausage (any good smoked)

I think it makes the taties better! Love the butter addition.

Thank you , we were planning on adding sausage the next time. We got the butter idea from a YouTube video!
Al

That looks outstanding Al.

Hell yeah! Cajun worthy!

From a native of Baton Rouge: Salute! Nice stuff. Good work. Well done. 👍

I posted some years ago why Louisiana wasn’t really known for BBQ, despite many capable Pitmaster denizens from the Pelican State. The main reason was crawfish. Only a very few delicacies can match or exceed great BBQ: Boiled at home crawfish is at the top of the list. Just can’t beat it.

Thank you guys, it means a lot to get compliments from folks who do this all the time.
Al

Thank you to Keith indaswamp indaswamp for helping me with this. I used his recipe & followed it to a tee. Here is the recipe:

View attachment 698880

We got all the ingredients ready while the water came to a boil.

View attachment 698881

Once the water got to a good rolling boil we put the spices in, turned the heat down & let them cook for 20 minutes.

View attachment 698882

Next we put in everything else except the corn & crawfish and let them cook for 10 minutes.

View attachment 698883

Now the star of the show! Of course that would be me😎.

View attachment 698884

Into the jacuzzi they go!

View attachment 698885

This where I did change one thing, we didn’t put the frozen corn in with the crawfish.
After returning to a boil we cooked them for 5 minutes.

View attachment 698886

Then turned off the fire, and added the frozen corn, 1 stick of frozen butter (not in original recipe), and a couple of pounds of ice.
Covered it up & let it soak for 30 minutes.

View attachment 698887

After 30 minutes it’s time to see how good we did!

View attachment 698888

This experience was a whole lot of fun. Not only was it fun, but it was easy & fast. For me when something works well the first time it really is unusual. I always have something to say that I would change. Not this time, I wouldn’t change a thing. Since the season is about over, I guess my next boil will be a shrimp boil! Thank you again Keith for the inspiration & the help. Happy Father’s Day to all you Dad’s out there!
Al
i can smell that cooking from here. i have a couple buddies from the Delta and when we can get live bugs, they do that up... looks point on.

Nice job Al
Hey, you're in pretty good shape for an old fart. Must be all that foot racing in your "younger" days?
I've only had bugs once and they were so fishy I couldn't eat them. I call that bad cooking.
There is a fish monger across the road from our Florida apartment at the corner of US-27 and US-192 that advertises fresh crayfish. Don't know if the 150 mile RT is more affordable than getting them mail order. Maybe the Ford needs a good road trip to check it out next season?

Al, take it from someone who's done many, many boils with shrimp, yours is fantastic!! I want to do one with crawfish, but they're too expensive and all of our local ponds shut down several years ago. Maybe one day, though...

i can smell that cooking from here. i have a couple buddies from the Delta and when we can get live bugs, they do that up... looks point on.

Thank you!
Can’t wait until next season!
Al

Nice job Al
Hey, you're in pretty good shape for an old fart. Must be all that foot racing in your "younger" days?
I've only had bugs once and they were so fishy I couldn't eat them. I call that bad cooking.
There is a fish monger across the road from our Florida apartment at the corner of US-27 and US-192 that advertises fresh crayfish. Don't know if the 150 mile RT is more affordable than getting them mail order. Maybe the Ford needs a good road trip to check it out next season?

Ha Ha ! Thanks Bro, I’m trying to stay alive so I can suck out all the Social Security $ I can. So I do exercise everyday & have most of my life. I think if I could get it locally I would, but if that is 150 miles one way I think I would do mail order.
Al

Fantastic job Al!! I really need to try this!

Thanks Steve, & yes you do!!
Al

Al, take it from someone who's done many, many boils with shrimp, yours is fantastic!! I want to do one with crawfish, but they're too expensive and all of our local ponds shut down several years ago. Maybe one day, though...

Thank you so much, as I have commented above doing something for the first time & having it come out so good is not something that usually happens to me. Especially to have someone like you that does this all the time tell me I did good is really special!
Al

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
This has always intimidated the hell out of me. I've been to a few boils and it's always so good. Great post Al and congrats on the successful boil.

Ha Ha ! Thanks Bro, I’m trying to stay alive so I can suck out all the Social Security $ I can. So I do exercise everyday & have most of my life. I think if I could get it locally I would, but if that is 150 miles one way I think I would do mail order.
Al
Florida home is south Clermont and the 4 corners area of Lake, Osceola, Polk, and Orange counties. That is 150 miles round trip. You and Judy do get out once in awhile?

This has always intimidated the hell out of me. I've been to a few boils and it's always so good. Great post Al and congrats on the successful boil.

Thank you, it was pretty easy. I just followed the recipe & it came out perfect! That doesn’t happen to me very often!
Al

Atta Boy Al... That looks amazing...

I wish the season was in Dec. so we could do them at the Gathering...

Thanks Keith, I think the season runs from Dec-May.
Al

My Uncle Pan's Boil recipe is fool proof....just follow the recipe and timelines to a T.....

I 100% agree!!!
Al

Florida home is south Clermont and the 4 corners area of Lake, Osceola, Polk, and Orange counties. That is 150 miles round trip. You and Judy do get out once in awhile?

I haven’t been up to Clermont in years, used to race triathlons up there.
Al

What's in season in December, Keith?

It runs from Dec-May, but Keith said they let it go a couple of weeks longer this year, because of last years dought.
Al

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky