MES Mailbox Mod! for use with AMNPS

Discussion in 'Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (MES) Owners' started by chrisblunck, Sep 18, 2012.

1. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. ​Thanks Dave! Much appreciated

3. Does the mailbox mod work with a hot smoke instead of a cold smoke? I can't keep my pellets lit. I smoked a couple of shoulders over the weekend for a party and only 1" of the first row burnt so I didn't get much smoke flavor going on...

4. yes, quite well.

5. Thanks for the response man. I'll give it a shot. Got nothing to lose :)

6. robby6pack

robby6pack Newbie

Mine works great hot and cold. Make sure the top vent is open all the way.

7. robby6pack

robby6pack Newbie

I drilled two 3/4 inch hole low in the door, and open the top vent all the way. I also take the stock chip tray out of the smoker. Works cold, hot, water tray or dry. Good luck.

8. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

FYI: It has been my experience that if an AMNPS goes out early in the first row, it is often because it wasn't lit properly in the first place.

Bear

9. That was my suspicion. I normally just light it, let it burn for a few minutes then put it in. While it's heating up next time, I'll put it in to dry out what I can then perform what I've seen on youtube. Also... do a few test runs before my next smoke to make sure it burns properly.

Thanks again guys!

10. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Maybe this will help,
    I light my AMNPS with my torch, and then blow on it every few minutes, in the direction of the bottom of the unburned pellets, until I get a real deep, good sized cigar-like cherry going. This could take up to 20 minutes, but that occurs while I am also doing other things too..
    Then & only then is it ready to put in the smoker.
    This makes it stay lit until we either put it out, or it runs out of fuel. I am always telling people how to light it, because most people don't get it lit properly before they put it in the smoker, and then it goes out on them.

I could never emphasize enough getting it lit properly in the first place, if people want it to keep smoking.

Also keep your pellets dry. I store mine in air tight screw-top jugs to keep humidity from them.

Bear