Longer lasting grill/smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fpagrpesc

Original poster
May 5, 2024
Hi Y'all, would like to hear any opinions on brands/models that last longer than 3 years. I'm a happy owner of a Masterbilt 850 gravity series, but it's nearing the 3 year mark and rusting everywhere. Soon will be a goner. I'd like to research what to buy next to have a similar result but longer life.

Anyone with a functional 10 year old pellet-like grill? Any special secrets to keep un-rusted?

Reactions: DieselTech
Hi Y'all, would like to hear any opinions on brands/models that last longer than 3 years. I'm a happy owner of a Masterbilt 850 gravity series, but it's nearing the 3 year mark and rusting everywhere. Soon will be a goner. I'd like to research what to buy next to have a similar result but longer life.

Anyone with a functional 10 year old pellet-like grill? Any special secrets to keep un-rusted?
I've heard a few speak on here, that has 6 years on their pit boss grills & still going strong. I think 1 mentioned they had to repaint their grill/smoker around the 5-6 year mark.

I think a all out stainless grill/smoker would last forever, but cost a guy a arm & a leg.

Reactions: gmc2003
Howdy, and welcome to the forum.

If you are in a humid environment (and it sounds like you are), you may want to consider a Stainless pellet grill as D DieselTech said.
I don't know what is available in full SS for the lower price range.

Keeping it out of weather helps a lot (a cover or under a covered patio, etc.).
Touching up rust as soon as you see it helps as well.

Pellet smokers = electronics and moving parts. There are no guarantees there. One model may last 10 years for some, but only a day or two for someone else.

Charcoal grills like the Weber Kettle or stick burners are about the only smokers/grills that will last that long w/o problems, and even than it's not 100%

Chris

Where do you live and how are you storing it to make it only 3 years? I bought a Camp Chef late 2019 and it's still going with no major issues. Ya, there's a bit of surface rust but that's probably because I've only cleaned the outside once. And that was about 6 months after I bought it. I figure I have at least another 3-5 years on it.

It's kept under a patio roof, no cover, and I live in Florida on the intracoastal so the salt water is literally 30 feet away.

Where do you live and how are you storing it to make it only 3 years? I bought a Camp Chef late 2019 and it's still going with no major issues. Ya, there's a bit of surface rust but that's probably because I've only cleaned the outside once. And that was about 6 months after I bought it. I figure I have at least another 3-5 years on it.

It's kept under a patio roof, no cover, and I live in Florida on the intracoastal so the salt water is literally 30 feet away.
I'm in Florida as well, close to Fort Lauderdale but not on the intracoastal. My grill is under a covered area, it doesn't get rained on or anything similar.

That's why I'm believing it's the quality of the materials Masterbilt uses. Except if there's some magical cleaning procedure and products I'm not using and should.

Just took a look at Camp Chef and I see they're a little more expensive than a Masterbilt, maybe because of better materials?

Regarding gmc2003 gmc2003 point on the electronics, they're mostly OK. Only thing is the front screen of the controller is cracking, it started doing that after a year which was disappointing. But it's working fine.

I've had the same Camp Chef P.Grill for 12 yrs plus with zero signs of rust. I don't remember the model it is, but it was one of the cheapest they offered back then, and cost less than $400. I don't cover it with a grill cover, but it is out of the rain under a covered deck. Ever spring I pressure wash it, then touch it up with high temp black paint then burn it off and reseason it with a can of cooking spray. It's still going strong, 12 yrs +.
I don't like plastic grill covers, I think they hold in the moisture, and promote rusting.

I have a Yoder YS640 that turns 10 years old next month. Body is holding up well; but I do have maintenance with sandpaper and hi-temp paint (but it is very repairable/serviceable). I have replaced the temp probe twice. It has been covered when not in use.

Were are is the main rot on the 850 ?
Replacement parts for MB are pretty inexpensive. Granted, you shouldn't necessarily have to replace parts at the 3 yr mark but I love my 1050 and plan to add the new version as soon as I can locate the XT.
Store mine uncovered in the carport and have had to replace the heat manifold due to rust. Also have have a small spot on the firebox door but not enough to worry with at the present .

Keith

The key is 304 Stainless all over. Though part is the hinges, screws etc which many do not use the right material. Any unit with this standard comes with a premium price. Affordability depends on the depth of one's pocketbook. I my case I have two units, the MAK does the smoking and the Hestan does the grilling. Each is excellent in what they do. Did a lot of research prior to purchasing the MAK. Did the same for the grill.

The key is 304 Stainless all over. Though part is the hinges, screws etc which many do not use the right material. Any unit with this standard comes with a premium price. Affordability depends on the depth of one's pocketbook. I my case I have two units, the MAK does the smoking and the Hestan does the grilling. Each is excellent in what they do. Did a lot of research prior to purchasing the MAK. Did the same for the grill.
I could not agree more. If you are gonna replace your smoker, I would search for units in your budget, then break those down by build, options, reviews etc. Before I brought my Rec Teq I did this and it boiled down to three options and one of them stretched the budget too far, then it was two, and I chose based on build materials. Could not be happier.

I've had my Camp Chef a few years and it lives out of the weather. I did get some minor surface rust on one end of the cook chamber since it stays parked right inside the barn doors and some rain blows through on it occasionally, but it was minor and some rustoleum high temp ceramic paint fixed that.

As long as the electronics hold out, I expect a lot of years of service out of it.

Cheap or high dollar , you have to air them out , and you have to use them . Sitting under a cover and only fired up once a month or less won't get the moisture out of them .
I use mine in rotation 2 or 3 times a week , and more on the weekends .
I'll run them even if I'm not cooking on them , or at least take the covers off for awhile .

Just noticed the Camp Chef Woodwind model has a stainless steel body. That might be the solution to what I'm looking for. It is somewhat expensive at $1200 for the 36" model.
I have a woodwind 24. Probably 3 or 4 years old now, still doing great! I keep all of my grills, smokers and flat tops inside of my shop in a "cooking area" but have still had a few rust out on me. Im a big fan of using spray cooking oil inside of them occasionally which I feel helps a lot! Most stuff is made of cheap steel from china, so it will rot out no matter what you do! Especially the burners on a grill!

Thank you all for the extra pointers! Understood that 304 stainless steel is best. Found this info explaining the difference between 304 and 430 at ThyssenKrupp:
The introduction to nickel in 304 makes it a much more corrosion resistant grade than 430 however, it does make it more expensive.

Rec Teq Deck Boss 590 seems pretty interesting. I did like the Camp Chef Woodwind Pro 24 a lot, but max temp is 400 F, so don't know. I like to sear meat or fish at 450 F or even 500 F. Camp Chef mentions the body is stainless 430, Rec Teq doesn't mention the stanless alloy of the body but certainly not 304.

But I'm convinced anything stainless stell, 430 or 304, is definitely going to be better than the Masterbuilt.

MAK is definitely wow, but beyond my budget. Yoder as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky