Masterbuilt Gravity Series Review

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
Masterbuilt Gravity Series Review – Like a Pellet Grill with More Smoke

Most people like pellet grills because of the convenience they offer. The main complaint with pellet grills though is they don’t produce enough smoke flavor. Enter the Masterbuilt Gravity series charcoal grills, offering more smoke and pellet grill like convenience.

The Masterbuilt Gravity Series operates similar to pellet grill. You fill its hopper with charcoal (lump or briquette), then light a fire starter at the bottom of the hopper. Set the temperature on the onboard controller, and it will use a fan to do all the work for you.

For this review we bought a Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 charcoal grill. It has enough cooking space for an average sized family, and larger items like brisket. Other than space, the main difference with the larger models is a folding front shelf and on the 800, a griddle insert. Please note that many of our pictures show a rotisserie accessory attached to the grill, it doesn’t come with the grill.

pretty decent write up with a couple of nit picky omissions. I'm a multi-year MB gravity cooker.
It is not your end-all grill. I do not use it for burger cooks, or quick grills like skirt steak or flap meat. i think loading the hopper with the right amount of fuel for a cook like that is a waste.
For quick cooks like that I still fire up my big stainless steel Napoleon which also has rotisserie and an infrared rear burner, or my faithful little Charbroil xx-200 Grill to go.
the built in chamber temp probe is not indicative to set it and forget it exact rid temps. I find or 250 temp middle grid level I typically set it around 265. I always monitor grid temp near the meat with my #inkbird 4 probe so i can graph temps of grid and meat, though i never write it down.
once you dial it in to your desired temp it WILL stay there.
IMHO the gravity is a charcoal pig. For an all day smoke (Brisket/Butt) you could use nearly a whole bag of lump and will have the daunting task of adding charcoal to the hopper mid-cook.
You will eventually have to deal with door switches, which are safety mechs to turn off fand when a door is open. if one goes wonky you find yourself by passing the switch. I pulled the switch leads and connected them using a roach clip (or whatever you want to call it)

This little essay is not meant to disclaim anything massive in the article, just my nit picky little stuff. The Gravity is still agood choice for a fledgling wannabe smoker. I had a work buddy who wanted to take the plunge and told me he was going to buy a pellet pooper. I told him if he did , I would go to Ross and buy him a skirt to wear when he used it. He is now a full disciple of the gravity.
OK, I'm done. Time to stoke the WSM for fat slab of baby backs.

smoke 'em if you got 'em
john

I've said here several times, I did not like mine as a grill. I'd rather use my Kettles. And just anecdotal from reading the two FB user groups, a lot of the grease fires occurred when people had it fired up to 600*. I also think using it as a pizza oven at 700* has to shorten the life of the cheap build.

For me, though, the MB560 was a gateway drug to a more expensive GF. I loved how the MB smoked meats. Enjoyed the set and forget part. But I wanted something more substantial and reliable. The Old Country GF was a gamble. I did not like paying a high price for an Assassin but I also got tired of waiting for someone to build a quality GF at reasonable price and took the plunge.

I think Weber missed the boat with not building a GF. They were all about charcoal. And IDK how their pellet pooper is doing , revenue wise.

Reactions: larryfoster
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky