BGE Owner: Considering a smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tsk

Original poster
Mar 20, 2024
I'm a BGE owner who enjoys it especially for quicker items (3 hour ribs, steaks, etc). But I run into issues with longer lower cooks (briskets, pork butts, etc). Usually they turn out well but it seems like it's a fair bit of monitoring and tweaking. I'd also like to start smoking sausages and while I'm sure it can be done, it doesn't seem like the egg is built for that.

I'm considering a vertical insulated unit. Is a smoker going to be a nice complement to the BGE or is it silly to spend money on one? Is a smoker going to be significantly better than the egg on smoking things? I'm curious how they compare to an egg and if I really need (want) one?

Thanks.

In my opinion, a guy can't have too many smokers, grills, etc...🤣 Seriously, I've never cooked on an egg, so I can't say how it is as a smoker, but if you think you'll be cooking for large(r) crowds, something with more space would be good. Like many folks on here, I have more than one smoker and Weber kettle, 2 of each, actually...

I enjoy my egg grill for grilling but not so much for long smokes. I think you will find a vertical, maybe a gravity feed will come in very handy for longer smokes. What type are you considering?

Reactions: gmc2003
If you thinking of pork shoulders and briskets, a pellet smoker is a set-it and forget-it operation.
Put it on at night and go to bed.
Just need to have a remote thermometer with two or more probes (preferably more) for monitoring.

Last edited:
I've never cooked on an egg, so I can't compare the difference. But I definitely have more than one cooker. If it fits your budget I say find a smoker you like and go for it.

In my opinion, a guy can't have too many smokers, grills, etc...🤣

I feel a little bit like I may be asking the wrong people if I need a smoker.

I enjoy my egg grill for grilling but not so much for long smokes. I think you will find a vertical, maybe a gravity feed will come in very handy for longer smokes. What type are you considering?

Ok, good. I read a lot of stuff how the egg is perfect for everything, etc and for me it's not doing it on the longer stuff. I started looking at the Humphreys Battle Box and have been looking at similar units. I'd like to get a quality (made in the USA) unit.

Humphrey is a solid unit. I'd also look at the 270 Smokers, Assassin , Southern Q and maybe Backwoods for the style you are looking at. I own a 270 KC and it's amazing. I use it rarely anymore as I love my Lang 84D but it truly is fine US made product (Virginia) Once you get temp dialed in will hold it on a load of charcoal and some wood chunks for 8 hours or more.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky