Ground beef chili - how to add smoke flavor?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

windycitysmokin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Chicago
so I was going to make some chili for tomorrow with ground beef on the stove and cubed smoked brisket. However, couldn’t source a brisket (living in the heart of chicago isn’t ideal for a bbq man).

That said, I still want to have a little smoke flavor in the chili, not over powering. It’s a pretty basic chili, 1lb ground beef, canned tomatoes (whole, diced, crushed), Onions, jalapeños. McCormack seasoning packets.

What are my options for smoking to add a little flavor? Smoke the onions? Jalapeños? The whole canned tomatoes? The gb?

Any and all input appreciated

I’m thinking maybe roll the beef out flat and onto a wire rack with a pan under it for drippings, place onions and jalapeños on top beef, smoke about and hour on 225-250 just for a little flavor, then bring it to a stove to finish like normal ?

Go to www.amazenproducts.com and get a 6" tube smoker kit, not expensive. Light it up and put it on the grill or smoker and lay out your beef, onions, peppers, etc. and let them absorb some smoky goodness for a couple hours, then make your chili like you normally would! Todd Johnson, the owner, gives the best customer service and is a moderator on here, too!

Go to www.amazenproducts.com and get a 6" tube smoker kit, not expensive. Light it up and put it on the grill or smoker and lay out your beef, onions, peppers, etc. and let them absorb some smoky goodness for a couple hours, then make your chili like you normally would! Todd Johnson, the owner, gives the best customer service and is a moderator on here, too!

I’ve been looking into that. I’ve got a masterbuilt 30” analog and a small 2 burner propane grill. Great for my small “yard” here in the city.

Was mainly wondering on the viability of smoking ground beef. And time was on peppers / onions to get the flavor. Sounds like my thought is on the same page as yours

Perhaps smoking the tomato sauce portion of it. I'll be watching to see what comes of this. My logic tells me this is not going to be an easy task. The spices and seasonings commonly used in chilli and similar dishes have a tendency to greatly over power all other ingredients. Adding enough smoke flavor to be noticeable will be a challenge short of dumping half a bottle of Liquid Smoke into the mix.

If you have a q mat or if not roll your burger out on a cookie sheet. Put it on / in your smoker and smoke it for a 1/2 hr to an hr. then finish cooking it in your pot. Same with your tomatoes. I like do do that for my spaghetti sauce. It comes it with a great smoky flavor. Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

If you have a q mat or if not roll your burger out on a cookie sheet. Put it on / in your smoker and smoke it for a 1/2 hr to an hr. then finish cooking it in your pot. Same with your tomatoes. I like do do that for my spaghetti sauce. It comes it with a great smoky flavor. Let us know what you do and how it turns out.
This technique works for me. Leave the top of the meat rough to provide more surface area to absorb the smoke. Divide it into patties so there are edges; i.e. more surface area.

I use fresh Andouille & ground beef in my chili.
I smoke them both until done, about 2 hours, then chop up & add to the chili.
full

Plenty of smoke flavor.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/south-florida-gathering-chili-recipe.253892/

Al

This is what I’ve got. Should I be concerned with bacteria or anything with cooking the ground beef so slowly compared to normally blasting it in the skillet?
10FE6194-71B1-4DD0-9041-88CF908A8F9A.jpeg

How long are you doing it on the smoker? If it is not a long period of time ( over 4 hrs ) then when you go to cook it in the pot you will be fine. The temp in your chilli pot will cook any pathogens out then simmer for the time you will continue cooking.

Update...... smoker refuses to get over 200, not sure if it’s the outside temp or something went wrong with the element? (It was 340 before I put food in)..... thick white heavy smoke. Think this round is going to the dog.

Tomatoes in chilie? Next you’ll add beans! Oh the horror!
As to added Smokey flavor, look to the chilie. Add some chipotles. They are just smoked jalapeños. Not very hot but flavorful.

Tomatoes in chilie? Next you’ll add beans! Oh the horror!
As to added Smokey flavor, look to the chilie. Add some chipotles. They are just smoked jalapeños. Not very hot but flavorful.

Haha, I’m pretty non traditional with my chili. Usually dark and light kidney beans. Sometimes garbanzo beans if it’s too soupy.

I hickory smoke a variety of hot and sweet peppers from the garden each summer, then grind and mix them for my chili powders (very hot to very mild powders). I've found that my mix of smoked chili powder and smoked paprika gives my chili sufficient smoke flavor for all but the most hard core smoke heads.

Reactions: windycitysmokin
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky