Grandma's Scalloped Potato recipe.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
After reading Sir Robert's ( tx smoker tx smoker ) Caveman Day thread and seeing those scalloped potatoes I started salivating - I knew I had my grandmother's recipe somewhere on my computer so I got my old brain in gear and searched it up and here it is for anyone that might like to give it a try!

Ingredients
  • 1 ½ cups heavy cream
  • 1 sprig fresh thyme
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Butter
  • 2 pounds russet potatoes – peeled and sliced 1/8”
  • Salt and pepper
  • Grated Parmesan cheese
Directions

Pre-heat oven to 375- degrees.

In a saucepan, heat up the cream with a sprig of thyme, chopped garlic, and nutmeg.

While cream is heating up, butter a casserole dish. Place layer of potatoes in overlapping pattern and season with salt & pepper. Remove cream from heat and pour a little over the potatoes. Top with some grated Parmesan. Continue layers. Bake uncovered 45-minutes. Sprinkle more grated Parmesan on top and broil until cheese browns – about 5-minutes.

Let them cool just a bit so you do not scald your tongue - then dig in!

Recipe sounds delicious... thank you for sharing! " Cool for a few minutes..." those things can be like molten lava! Took my wife a few tries to get her grandma's recipe down and has made them for years now but not long ago we think she made her best batch ever. I sure love my spuds!

Ryan

Reactions: Retired Spook
Wow...I like grandma's recipe!! Not sure about the nutmeg but the rest of it sounds amazing. This has been saved, printed, and added to the Big Black Book. Thank you for sharing.

Robert
Sir Robert,

You should try the recipe with the nutmeg - you just might become a convert! It goes very good with the rest of the ingredients. And of course, I always get cray-cray with the grated parmesan... :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: 02ebz06
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky