(2) 500 gal propane tank smoker build. Franklin style.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You may want to rethink that stack.  Looks very small to me.  The only part that counts is what is poking above the smoker. Did you calculate it?

You may want to rethink that stack.  Looks very small to me.  The only part that counts is what is poking above the smoker. Did you calculate it?

I did use a calculator and the stack sizes are just a little bigger than 5% of the firebox volume. I'm not so sure about the the part that is above the cook chamber being the only part that matters. My thinking is as long as the the stack isn't below the firebox the smoke and heat will still draft. If I need to add to the stacks I can I have extra material.

The numbers are based on whats above the cook chamber.  There is nothing exact, everyone's got their opinions on whats best and what looks asectically best.

As long as you are in the 5-7% of volume range it should be fine. 

Here's Dave o's numbers 

Exhaust Calculation..

ESV in cubic inches_____________________________ ... = Stack Length in inches (36" +/-)
0.7854 X Stack Diameter X Stack Diameter

Adjust the diameter of the stack, until the proper length is achieved... be sure to measure the actual internal diameter of the pipe used..
this is for round stacks only..

.... ..  

I don't think that door is going to pay attention to the little harbor freight clamps and a tie down.

Find yourself a big chain and bottle jack or a 20 lb sledgehammer and large blocks of wood.  Sometimes your need to roll your sleeves up and get serious with it.

I used the clamps to hold the door while I welded the straps on the doors. I was hoping the heat from welding would bring the door back to its shape. That didn't work. I'll be using chains next.

Thanks for the chain and bottle jack idea ahumadora ahumadora . My door is now a pretty good fit. If I need to I can always work on it some more if I see a lot of smoke escaping.

I was able to start a fire in the firebox over the holiday break. I still have to weld the firebox door on and ahumadora ahumadora I will be extending the stacks the smoker seemed to draft better and there will be less smoke in the eyes. You can see my quick fix to see what the difference between stack height is. I didn't do a temp test on this burn mainly because I was wanting to burn out the firebox since it hadn't been done yet.

So the punch list for a finished smoker is now
-extend the stacks
-install thermometers
-install firebox door
-wire wheel/sandblast
-paint

Why 2 stacks? Yeah I would assume you'd want an 8-10" stack at least 6 feet long.

That is if you're going for the whole Franklin strong draft concept. Which I must say works absolutely great.

Why 2 stacks? Yeah I would assume you'd want an 8-10" stack at least 6 feet long.

That is if you're going for the whole Franklin strong draft concept. Which I must say works absolutely great.
It is what I had. They are 6" Square tube from a light pole. I originally made the stacks that short because the volume is what was recommended from the feldon calculator. If that makes sense. I am going for the Franklin method plus the longer stacks do look nicer haha.

Looks good. It looks like you have the same work shop that I have. Lots of natural light!!
Yes I do. I have a pretty big shed that I am going to build the trailer in but I didn't have any lights in the shed when I started the smoker. Plus with the cool weather we have been having I'm glad I was outside in the sun. My neighbors probably think I'm crazy but once they try the BBQ it will all make sense.

Yes I do. I have a pretty big shed that I am going to build the trailer in but I didn't have any lights in the shed when I started the smoker. Plus with the cool weather we have been having I'm glad I was outside in the sun. My neighbors probably think I'm crazy but once they try the BBQ it will all make sense.

I did my 500 gallon tank build outside also. The one I built looks similar to yours.
I can't wait to see the pictures when you get it fired up. I am very happy with the way it works.

It is what I had. They are 6" Square tube from a light pole. I originally made the stacks that short because the volume is what was recommended from the feldon calculator. If that makes sense. I am going for the Franklin method plus the longer stacks do look nicer haha.

My smoker is no where close to those calculators...and it cooks like a dream. lol I would say about 15-20 degrees from front to back. It looks like on Franklin's cookers the stacks are 10" by about 6 feet. Live near Houston? I have a bunch left over. lol

Franklin's 500's:
http://s10.photobucket.com/user/SxFxZ/media/573147E9-8BC2-4703-85C5-215A25A2C2F7.jpg.html

Mine (10"x8' stack)
http://s10.photobucket.com/user/SxFxZ/media/3D85B57C-9510-409D-B0AE-486A6169B4DD.jpg.html

Reactions: sean davis
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky