(2) 500 gal propane tank smoker build. Franklin style.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Using a grate for the fire is actually better.   You want the wood to burn completely, and not be suffocated by the ash build up.

Air can flow  (over, around,under) the fire and be heated.    So you get a large amount of hot air combined with a clean burning fire gives you good quality smoke.

Check out how Aaron Franklin leaves his doors open most of the time and maintains temp with the amount of fuel (wood)

Last edited:
I opened up the throat a bit tonight with the torch. We will see next cook. Do you prop your wood up on anything to maximize airflow, or just sit it all in the coals?

I'm assuming the second pic is looking inside the firebox ?? If that's the case I'm thinking your firebox is to high... in turn that makes your hole from FB to CC to low... trapping heat at the top of the FB ...

Reactions: ahumadora
I'm assuming the second pic is looking inside the firebox ?? If that's the case I'm thinking your firebox is to high... in turn that makes your hole from FB to CC to low... trapping heat at the top of the FB ...
You want the hole in the firebox at the very top of the firebox.?

A little late to move it! Any ideas?

Get yourself some grates to get your fire up off your ashes. I used grates out of an old out door wood furnace. They are heavy and work really good.
The temp stays within 5 degrees in by 500 gallon tank even when loaded with 40+ butts inside.
You need to keep the air flowing through.

IMG_4676.JPG
IMG_4699.jpg
IMG_4650.JPG
Well smoker number 2 is in the final stages. Just a few minors things to finish thermometers, stack cap and badging. All in all though the smoker turned out great. Now I just need to get it seasoned and ready for it's first cook.

For 30" (762mm) tanks I cut mine 150mm down from 12 o'clock and 50 mm down from 3 o'clock. I run 3 racks on mine as we are no where near vegetarians around here :)

These pictures are from a fundraiser that we did for my Brother and his wife’s adoption we cooked 40 butts and a brisket with room to spare
917759DF-A7C0-476D-A064-C862D62CB9A8.jpeg
591548DD-55B6-45AA-BDC6-6B3B2740AEFC.jpeg
B1FE7AEC-EA3D-47F8-B489-C31562C53FF0.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky