How to keep original paint on propane tank smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beerbeer95648

Original poster
Mar 30, 2020
Almost finished with my 120 gallon offset. Down the road going to get it sandblasted and patina it. But currently just going to leave it for a while with the original flaking paint. I knocked off all the loose paint and rust
IMG_20240222_152646.jpg
and wiped it down. But what's the best way to seal it for a year or two? I'm assuming Linden seed oil only works if you have bare metal for to get into the pores? What do people normally do? High temp clear coat, pam, linseed?

Reactions: seenred and 02ebz06
Howdy bb...

I'd think that clear coat would be a great permanent option, but it seems like an expensive overkill if you plan to do a different finish in a year or so - just MHO.

I'd think any high-heat cooking oil would get the job done, although you may have to apply it regularly to prevent oxidation from continuing to work on the old paint.

Nice looking build BTW!

Red

Reactions: JLeonard
Howdy bb...

I'd think that clear coat would be a great permanent option, but it seems like an expensive overkill if you plan to do a different finish in a year or so - just MHO.

I'd think any high-heat cooking oil would get the job done, although you may have to apply it regularly to prevent oxidation from continuing to work on the old paint.

Nice looking build BTW!

Red
Thanks for the insight. I think you're probably right...... ill post some more pictures when I'm finally done. I'm close.

Doing a burnout now. Really happy, I have another thread in regards to the flat top I'm putting on this, came from a commercial wolf stove. Almost an inch thick.
223097bc-5b78-4d7e-97ec-a6fb06eebc77.jpg
20240224_124241.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky