Yoder Pellet Smoker fuel consumption

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am looking to get myself a pellet smoker in the coming future. I originally thought I would get a rec tec but lately have been reading how great the Yoder YS640 is but also heard that it consumes a lot more pellets over other grills it's size. Anyone have any experience with this, if so please share your experiences.
I haven't been measuring it but I got a Yoder YS640 for Christmas and can say that it is a pellet hog! I live in CA so the weather isn't an issue. But I have run the hopper dry numerous times now and it's honestly the only/biggest drawback of the YS640. Spending a 20 lb bag of pellets adds significant $$$$ to the cost of smoking a packer brisket, for example. It's kindof a bummer because the smoke flavor is very weak also - the Company line on that issue is that the smoker is so "efficient" that it doesn't give off the overly smokey flavor that stick-burners are accustomed to. But if it's so efficient, why does it burn so many lbs of pellets??

Anyways, I'll try to keep track of the burn rate on my next cook.

IMG_5146.jpg
IMG_5151.JPG
I just bought a Ys640 and had my first cook on it today. I was smoking a brisket flat, I don't recall the size but it was a fairly large one. I used Lumberjack competition blend for the cook. It was a windy day right around 50 degrees. I used a 20 lb bag and it ran for about 10 hours and it pretty much used the whole bag. The smoke flavor was mild which my family likes better than a more pronounced smoke taste. I was told that using straight hickory or Mesquite will give you more of a smoke flavor than a mixed blend.

Last edited:
That is a nice looking pit with the comp cart. It seems like a high usage rate for 50 degrees. What temp were you running?

I was running 250 but I have to admit I was opening it a lot to check out how it was going. Ill keep track of usage and type of pellets as far as taste goes. Ill start a log and see how it goes from there. I had a Klose offset and a Pitmaker safe before, but this is the first pellet smoker for me.

I think 250 is a bit high for brisket on a pellet smoker. Perhaps try 220 for the first three hours and then move it up to 250 and see if it has more smoke flavor. I would mist at three hours too. If I want smoke flavor, when the meat is cool and moist, I keep the rec tecs between 180-220. The common 250-275 temp range on a stick burner doesn't work well on pellets smokers, IMO. The smoking range is 180-230 in my experience. The "cooking with wood range" is 250 and above. That range does impart a wood flavor, but not a true smoked flavor IMO.

I think Aaron Franklin talking about running his pits at 250-275 is part of the "pellet smoker smoke problem".

I don't have a Yoder, but I'm skeptical about increased pellet consumption for that brand. If its true, it must have a stronger than normal fan that moves more air through the chamber. Pellets burned to ash give off the same BTUs regardless of smoker brand. The heavy steel of the Yoder may take a few more handfuls than typical to heat up, but after that the radiation from the smoker body should be roughly comparable to other brands.

Part of the Yoder or Rec Tec question should be "who is going to fix it". If you want someone else to fix it when it breaks, buy a premium brand with a dealer network. If you want low long term operating cost where you do the repairs buy a big Rec Tec with the six year warranty. You do the repairs, but with generous and free parts and support.

I've been happy with rec tec, and now really like the wifi. But I would not hesitate to buy a Yoder based on increased pellet consumption. A smaller high quality smoker is an excellent choice for people concerned about cost but who don't buy cheaper products: Less up front cost, lower pellet consumption, and better high temp performance for things like pizza (faster to high temp and usually higher max temp).

This is my first pellet smoker so I guess Im using what I know works for my offset stick burner and cabinet smokers ( charcoal ). Ill try the lower temp on my next brisket. Although I was very pleased with the results from my first smoke.

This is my first pellet smoker so I guess Im using what I know works for my offset stick burner and cabinet smokers ( charcoal ). Ill try the lower temp on my next brisket. Although I was very pleased with the results from my first smoke.

The Yoder is a fine piece of equipment.

My feeling is that a lot of practices don't carry over meaningfully from stick burners. I don't think wrapping brisket is usually a benefit, especially when bumping the heat up after three hours to 250-275. The cleaner burn on a pellet smoker at those temps become an advantage as there is little risk of bitterness developing. The stall isn't a problem with an automated system as long as total cook time are estimated correctly and the food is ready in an appropriate time period.

But if I was feeding a stick burner I would probably want to shorten cook time by an hour or two. If I was running a BBQ restaurant I would benefit from wrapping brisket both financially (fewer labor hours) and quality control (less chance the new guy over-smokes the meat).

I also don't think doing 3-2-1 ribs is particularly beneficial, at least on better pellet smokers with excellent temp control. Not foiling allows somewhat more smoke flavor. But I'm not looking for "fall off the bone" at the end. I like a small amount of firmness in ribs. Foiling may be a good idea for people who prefer "fall off the bone" over best texture.

But I may be a crazy person. I think finishing long smokes in the oven indoors in the winter is fine. I'll even sous vide a brisket for a day after a smoke outdoors. I'm more of a cook than a BBQ guy.

I tried the wrapping the rib routine many years ago and tossed it rather quickly. I also prefer a slight tug when I bite into a rib. I have more of a keep it simple mentality when it comes to smoking food. The offset stick burner I had just needed to much tending to. Not to mention a supply of seasoned wood.

This will be my third cook and heres my pellet usage so far.

04/01/18
Outside temp 50 degrees and windy
Lumberjack Comp blend pellets
Cook temp was set to 250 degrees
9 hour cook
20 lb of pellets
Damper 3/4 open

04/08/18
Outside temp 43 degrees, breezy
B&B Hickory pellets
Cook temp was set to 225 degrees
6 hour cook
10 lb of pellets
Damper 3/4 open

4/10/18
Outside temp 54 degrees no wind
Pit Boss Applewood pellets
Cook temp was set to 350 degrees
2 hour cook
6 lb of pellets
Damper 3/4 open

Average pellet use to date 2.1 lbs an hour. So is this to be expected or am I using more than average.

Last edited:
The only thing I can say was it was set at 350 degrees and they were Pit Boss Apple wood pellets, I would like to hear from others on their thoughts. It had just occurred to me that I have only given the cook time, I leftout the start up time before I actually put the meat in the smoker which for me is about 20-30 minutes.

Last edited:
I got my Yoder YS640 last Oct. I find that I go through about 1 to 1 1/4 lbs. of pellets an hour at 220.
I have done 14 hr. smokes over night in winter and 20 lbs. of pellets were more than enough.
I do live in Ca. and and the low was about 40. When I'm grilling at 350 I go through a lot more pellets but haven't paid attention usage.

I too just bought a Yoder 640 but I haven't really kept up with consumption. I did a break - in (2 hours @ 350), seared rib eyes, cooked a 14 lbs brisket & finished off with burnt ends, a couple of chickens & pork belly and just finished off a 40# sack of cookinpellets perfect mix and a few pounds of cookinpellets hickory. I'd say that's probably less than 2 lbs per hour average? I'll try and get a better number on mine. I live in N. Texas and I don't open the door often - I rely on my meat thermometers. 6 pounds in 2 hours does seem high?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky