LONE STAR 20"X42" OR YODER YS640s

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

auerjr

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 31, 2019
WI
looking at picking up a pellet smoker. looking at the Lone Star Grillz 20"x42" or the Yoder YS640s. These both appear to be high quality and probably can't go wrong with either. Just looking for some input from the good people on this forum that either has one or has some experience with these.

One thing I have noticed after looking at a lot of YouTube videos is the lone star definitely puts out a lot of smoke. Is this good smoke? or dirty? I read one comment on Youtube that he sold his lone star because of dirty smoke.

Yoder is in stock and could pick up locally. The lone Star has a lead time of around 3 months and would need to be shipped. - this is not a deal breaker

Is there a different pellet smoker that is comparable that maybe I have not considered? (I was considering the Traeger Timeberline XL but don't really want a big box store grill.)

My first choice also was the Yoder YS640S with the comp cart until I saw the LSG grill.
All videos for the LSG grill that I have seen have been thin blue smoke coming out of the pipe.
Have not seen that video you are talking about and I looked at every one I could find before I ordered the LSG 20x42 pellet grill.
Have seen a couple biscuit tests and both looked like a pretty even heat distribution on the main grate.
The LSG has a 40# pellet hopper which is a big plus.

It is a 14 week wait true. I have a little over 8 weeks left.
The waiting makes you feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. Haha

Nothing wrong with the Yoder, both use a Fireboard Controller, and both made in USA.
Made in USA was my #1 requirement, and not having the auger tube end just above firebox was 2nd.
Both met my requirement, but I just felt the LSG was better.

Just my 2 cents...

My first choice also was the Yoder YS640S with the comp cart until I saw the LSG grill.
All videos for the LSG grill that I have seen have been thin blue smoke coming out of the pipe.
Have not seen that video you are talking about and I looked at every one I could find before I ordered the LSG 20x42 pellet grill.
Have seen a couple biscuit tests and both looked like a pretty even heat distribution on the main grate.
The LSG has a 40# pellet hopper which is a big plus.

It is a 14 week wait true. I have a little over 8 weeks left.
The waiting makes you feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. Haha

Nothing wrong with the Yoder, both use a Fireboard Controller, and both made in USA.
Made in USA was my #1 requirement, and not having the auger tube end just above firebox was 2nd.
Both met my requirement, but I just felt the LSG was better.

Just my 2 cents...
I'm leaning towards the LSG, just seen a video of using a 50/50 mix of pellets and wood chips. I like the idea of using actual wood chips

I've seen that video, but don't think I would try it.
I'd worry about a fat chip jamming the auger. But then I'm a glass half empty guy.

Reactions: babydocsmoker
I'm with EBZ. Unfortunately. They really aren't made to run the chips and the risk of jamming makes me super nervous. I think what we need is someone to start to manufacture a unit that will burn added chips. The world needs this!!!

I don't have either grill, but you'll have fun either way! I've played around with a Yoder in the past and they are well built! I don't know what kind of app or support software they offer...but that might not be important to you.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Lone Star sells wood chips for their pellet smoker on their website. IDK?

I looked on their site and they do sell chips for pellet smokers.
So maybe OK...
I still won't do it. :emoji_laughing:

I have a Yoder 640S. It produces great food and is very well built. I use a pellet tube to supplement the smoke flavor. It isnt as good as my Lang stick burner, but the convenience of it makes me use it more and not having to baby sit it allows me more lake time. I am not familiar with the other one.

I owned a Yoder YS640 and sold it. It was built well but it didn't get much play time and was a PITA to clean up.

I own several pits including two Lone Star Grillz stick burners. If I were to buy another pellet grill, I would buy the Lone Star since it is based on their 20x42 offset and is a beast.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
No experience with the Lone Star unit, looks pretty choice. I have a Yoder YS640s Comp Cart and absolutely love it. I would highly recommend it.

Dave

I have decided to go with the lone star. The videos I have seen on YouTube the smoke it puts out is second to none.

Wonder if you can program the fireboard on a Yoder to put out this much smoke?

Will be placing the order today. Now the long wait!!! Thanks for all the reply's guys! I'll post my thoughts on the grill when I receive it, in the meantime I'll rewatch all the videos on YouTube! lol

I think you made a good choice.
I have 7 weeks to go on mine.
I know what you mean about re-watching the videos, I've seen them all at least 3 times. Haha

As for programming the Yoder Fireboard for more smoke, I don't think that would be something you could do.
Would most likely have to be done in firmware and maybe the design of the grill would make it impossible to do.
One of the mysteries of the universe. Haha

I use my Lone Star Grillz multiple times a week, year round, and I have never had anything but clean thin blue smoke come out the stack. I feed it a steady diet of Lumberjack Pellets and I have purchased the wood chips from Chris but haven't used it yet.

Reactions: 02ebz06
I use my Lone Star Grillz multiple times a week, year round, and I have never had anything but clean thin blue smoke come out the stack. I feed it a steady diet of Lumberjack Pellets and I have purchased the wood chips from Chris but haven't used it yet.
Sounds like your happy with your Lone Star? looks like you have a Pitts and Spitts 2000? Can you taste a difference between the two?

If/when you try the wood chips please let us know your thoughts.

I placed my order few weeks back, I can't wait to receive it. Thinking about upgrading the front table to stainless steel? do you have the standard painted shelf? wondering about the wear and tear over time on the paint.

Don't have mine yet (4 weeks to go), but I just took the painted shelf.
Doubt I will even use it though, as I have a SS cart on wheels I use now.
I would expect little wear, as it will not get the heat the cooker does.
Just need to take a little care how and what you put on it.
It would be easy enough to repaint if you had to.
Just my 2 cents...

I have the Stainless Steel front shelf on both the Lone Star Grillz and the Pitts and Spitts Maverick 2000. The shelf on the Lone Star Grillz is a folding shelf.

The Maverick 2000 has three tier cooking grates. What a lot of people don't know about the Pitts and Spitts is that you can use the same size grill grate on the middle tier that is used on the bottom tier, giving you an additional 350 sq inches of cooking space. That is the way I have my P&S set up. The Lone Star Grillz cook chamber is two tier cooking grates, and the shape and height of the cook chamber reduces Cooking/smoking capacity.

There are big differences between the two.

1. Both are built like a tank, very high quality. Both weight approximately 450 lbs. During winter months here in NJ, I use a welders blanket when temps drop below freezing to get to and maintain temperatures on the Pitts and Spitts, because the Pitts & Spitts cook chamber is larger.

2. The Lone Star Grillz temperature is controlled by a Fireboard controller, and temps are designed to fluctuate to make it smoke like an offset. This creates a lot of clean blue smoke even when cooking at higher temperatures. The Pitts and Spitts controller is a PID controller of their own making I believe.

3. The Maverick 2000 is dead on when holding temperature. I get a decent amount of smoke up to 275-300 degrees, but not much after that. On the Lone Star Grillz I get the kind of smoke you see on YouTube videos all the way up to its max temp of 450 degrees.

4. Max temp on the Maverick 2000 is 600 degrees; lowest temp is 180.

5. Max temp on the Lone Star Grillz is 450, and lowest temp is 160. At 160 there is a warming feature to keep food warm until serving.

6. On larger cooks, I use the Maverick 2000 as an outdoor oven (for corn on the cob, Mac&Cheese, veggies, peach beans, or desserts), and use the Lone Star Grillz as a smoker for meats.

7. Both are great for overnight cooks (my 20 lb Briskets go into each smoker at 200 degrees at 8:00 Pm the night before serving, and are ready to be wrapped around 7:00 AM the next morning. After the 3-4 hour resting period I am ready to serve around 3:00 PM. All my Briskets and larger Pork Butts and Shoulders are done this way.

8. When I smoke cured pork belly to make bacon, the Lone Star Grillz is the way to go because I can smoke as low as 160, but usually set it for 170 degrees and the belly's get a tremendous amount of smoke.

9. Clean up is much easier on the Lone Star Grillz due to the removable fire pot, which is cleaned out before each cook. After 3 cooks I remove the deflector plate and vacuum out the whole chamber. In order to clean out the fire pot on the Pitts and Spitts, the grates and deflector plates must be removed to vacuum out the fire pot. Both have the ball valve for easy grease management.

10. I have the 8 inch oversized pneumatic wheels on the Pitts and Spitts, and the off-road package on the Lone Star Grillz.

I usually purchase a pallet load of Lumberjack pellets in the spring, and then again in the fall. As soon as I pick up my next load, i plan to blend the hickory pellets with the hickory wood chips I purchased through Lone Star Grillz (I purchased enough wood chips for a 50-50 mix with 60 lbs of LJ Hickory pellets) and I will report my findings. I will say that the wood chips look uniform in size and thickness, and recommended by Chris at Lone Star Grillz for use on Lone Star Grillz. I would not use them on the Pitts and Spitts.

Note to 02ebz06: In your signature you list your Lone Star Grillz Pellet Smoker as 24 x 42
On the Lone Star Grillz website they show a 20 x 36 and a 20 x 42 cook chamber. My question is, is your 24 x 42 a custom order or is this a typo? To expand the cook chamber to 24 x 42 would be a worthwhile upgrade, significantly increasing cook capacity and would definitely capture my interest.

Thanks - Steve

Last edited:
I have the Stainless Steel front shelf on both the Lone Star Grillz and the Pitts and Spitts Maverick 2000. The shelf on the Lone Star Grillz is a folding shelf.

The Maverick 2000 has three tier cooking grates. What a lot of people don't know about the Pitts and Spitts is that you can use the same size grill grate on the middle tier that is used on the bottom tier, giving you an additional 350 sq inches of cooking space. That is the way I have my P&S set up. The Lone Star Grillz cook chamber is two tier cooking grates, and the shape and height of the cook chamber reduces Cooking/smoking capacity.

There are big differences between the two.

1. Both are built like a tank, very high quality. Both weight approximately 450 lbs. During winter months here in NJ, I use a welders blanket when temps drop below freezing to get to and maintain temperatures on the Pitts and Spitts, because the Pitts & Spitts cook chamber is larger.
2. The Lone Star Grillz temperature is controlled by a Fireboard controller, and temps are designed to fluctuate to make it smoke like an offset. This creates a lot of clean blue smoke even when cooking at higher temperatures. The Pitts and Spitts controller is a PID controller of their own making I believe.

3. The Maverick 2000 is dead on when holding temperature. I get a decent amount of smoke up to 275-300 degrees, but not much after that. On the Lone Star Grillz I get the kind of smoke you see on YouTube videos all the way up to its max temp of 450 degrees.

4. Max temp on the Maverick 2000 is 600 degrees; lowest temp is 180.

5. Max temp on the Lone Star Grillz is 450, and lowest temp is 160. At 160 there is a warming feature to keep food warm until serving.

6. On larger cooks, I use the Maverick 2000 as an outdoor oven (for corn on the cob, Mac&Cheese, veggies, peach beans, or desserts), and use the Lone Star Grillz as a smoker for meats.

7. Both are great for overnight cooks (my 20 lb Briskets go into each smoker at 200 degrees at 8:00 Pm the night before serving, and are ready to be wrapped around 7:00 AM the next morning. After the 3-4 hour resting period I am ready to serve around 3:00 PM. All my Briskets and larger Pork Butts and Shoulders are done this way.

8. When I smoke cured pork belly to make bacon, the Lone Star Grillz is the way to go because I can smoke as low as 160, but usually set it for 170 degrees and the belly's get a tremendous amount of smoke.

9. Clean up is much easier on the Lone Star Grillz due to the removable fire pot, which is cleaned out before each cook. After 3 cooks I remove the deflector plate and vacuum out the whole chamber. In order to clean out the fire pot on the Pitts and Spitts, the grates and deflector plates must be removed to vacuum out the fire pot. Both have the ball valve for easy grease management.

10. I have the 8 inch oversized pneumatic wheels on the Pitts and Spitts, and the off-road package on the Lone Star Grillz.

I usually purchase a pallet load of Lumberjack pellets in the spring, and then again in the fall. As soon as I pick up my next load, i plan to blend the hickory pellets with the hickory wood chips I purchased through Lone Star Grillz (I purchased enough wood chips for a 50-50 mix with 60 lbs of LJ Hickory pellets) and I will report my findings. I will say that the wood chips look uniform in size and thickness, and recommended by Chris at Lone Star Grillz for use on Lone Star Grillz. I would not use them on the Pitts and Spitts.

Note to 02ebz06: In your signature you list your Lone Star Grillz Pellet Smoker as 24 x 42
On the Lone Star Grillz website they show a 20 x 36 and a 20 x 42 cook chamber. My question is, is your 24 x 42 a custom order or is this a typo? To expand the cook chamber to 24 x 42 would be a worthwhile upgrade, significantly increasing cook capacity and would definitely capture my interest.

Thanks - Steve
awesome write-up and comparison of the two. Thank you

Thanks - Steve
Oops, my bad, yes it is 20x42. Will correct immediately.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky