Packer Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
13lb prime packer from Costco. They quit carrying prime earlier this year but last time I was in they were loaded so grabbed one
IMG_4343.jpeg

Trimmed and seasoned with a combo Holy Cow and Hardcore.
IMG_4365.jpeg

Ran the pit ~250 entire cook, just firing her up. The consistency and efficiency of the Lone Star is off the charts
IMG_4367.jpeg

Pit 10/10. Brisket 7.5/10. Pulled at 195 in the thick flat, slightly tight as expected, immediately wrapped with some tallow and put in a 145 warmer over night.
IMG_0635.jpeg

IMG_0645.jpeg

Point was absolutely amazing, as good as I’ve had, but obviously that’s not the test 😂. Flat was undercooked, tough. First time trying overnight hold hoping the carryover cool in the warmer would do its magic. Wasn’t enough in the end but a helluva an experiment snd the flat made for good nachos while we devoured the point. What fun would brisket be if you nailed it every time? - a lot actually. Oh well, means I got some kinks to work out and better get on it. Thanks for lookin

Had the same experience with an overnight hold myself. We still ate it...but I think I'm gonna ditch that method.

Glad the point turned out!

Reactions: chopsaw
Had the same experience with an overnight hold myself. We still ate it...but I think I'm gonna ditch that method.

Glad the point turned out!
Curious, under or over cooked?

Yeah Prime packers can get done (tender) earlier at a lower IT but not always. Having gone through this I now run until it probes tender all over the flat then pull to the counter and let it cool with a IT drop of 5-8º then wrap and rest.

"...slightly tight" so leave it in to get it right :emoji_wink:

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Thats what so great about our craft....Unless its just totally messed up, our "oops" can still be eaten or turned into something else.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky