LSG or?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gunzby

Original poster
Jul 19, 2015
I currently have a Kamado Joe, which is great for grilling and smoking. The main drawback is with long smokes like pork butts or brisket. I'll run out of charcoal, have to pull everything, fill it back, relight, get back to temp and start over.

Originally I was looking at Traeger and that quickly moved to Yoder and then LSG. LSG seems to be a little better built and from what I've seen it imparts more smoke flavor, which probably has to do with the programming of their FB.

The question is if there is another one I should look at? As an extra question for the LSG is what add ons are definite? I'll only use it as a smoker, so I don't need grilling accessories. Ugh one more question for current owners. How wide is it? I was thinking of keeping it in my basement shop when not in use. I live in NC and wouldn't mind keeping it away from the humidity.

Thanks in advance for the replies

Reactions: JLeonard
If just smoking then consider just smoking cabinets like smoker. Pellet grill-smoker are usually a compromise so they can do both.

Reactions: gunzby
I have the LSG 20x42 pellet grill.
Must have options for me were larger wheels.
5" seemed small, so I went with 8" as I didn't need the off-road package.
If you have rough terrain to maneuver over, that would be an option.
I got the handle ($20) - not needed if you get off-road package. Should be included IMO.
The drain comes with a 1-1/4" pipe and a cap.
You can buy the valve from them or pick one up at Lowes of HD.
I bought the Stainless Steel grates. Much easier to clean than the expanded metal ones, but pricey.
Also bought the cover. To me that is a must.
A lot depends on your budget.

I don't know what your basement access is like, but this thing weight 450lbs.
It is 27" from front to back.

Reactions: JLeonard and gunzby
I have a KJ Classic that I added an ash basket to. I can get it to 225° and hold it there for up to 18 hours with a full load of either KJ Big Block or Jealous Devil lump charcoal.

The only time I have ever had to reload in the middle was when I first started out and was using briquettes. Even then I was able to pull the entire system out quickly, dump in some lit and unlit briquettes pretty quick and get back to smoking.

That said, are you using briquettes for your smokes?

If just smoking then consider just smoking cabinets like smoker. Pellet grill-smoker are usually a compromise so they can do both.
Well, I wouldn't say never on grilling. It would be for when I'm grilling a lot of stuff.

I have the LSG 20x42 pellet grill.
Must have options for me were larger wheels.
5" seemed small, so I went with 8" as I didn't need the off-road package.
If you have rough terrain to maneuver over, that would be an option.
I got the handle ($20) - not needed if you get off-road package. Should be included IMO.
The drain comes with a 1-1/4" pipe and a cap.
You can buy the valve from them or pick one up at Lowes of HD.
I bought the Stainless Steel grates. Much easier to clean than the expanded metal ones, but pricey.
Also bought the cover. To me that is a must.
A lot depends on your budget.

I don't know what your basement access is like, but this thing weight 450lbs.
It is 27" from front to back.
That's actually small enough to fit through my door. I'm in no rush to buy right now. This is more of a next year deal after I cash out a few investments. I was looking at the wheels, handle, drain, SS grates and definitely the cover if I left it outside.

I'm giving myself a lot of time to think about that stuff and possibly look at other options.

Reactions: 02ebz06
I have a KJ Classic that I added an ash basket to. I can get it to 225° and hold it there for up to 18 hours with a full load of either KJ Big Block or Jealous Devil lump charcoal.

The only time I have ever had to reload in the middle was when I first started out and was using briquettes. Even then I was able to pull the entire system out quickly, dump in some lit and unlit briquettes pretty quick and get back to smoking.

That said, are you using briquettes for your smokes?
I was using B&B lump when I ran out, but that was also a 14 hour smoke. Right now I have B&B competition charcoal logs which would definitely last a lot longer

I have the LSG and love it. Only thing I did was added the 8" wheels

Reactions: gunzby
Really love the new LSG Cabinet pellet smoker. Seems like it would be a great unit for sausage and snack sticks. Just can't justify $4k for a sausage smoker, haha.

Reactions: gunzby and 02ebz06
Really love the new LSG Cabinet pellet smoker. Seems like it would be a great unit for sausage and snack sticks. Just can't justify $4k for a sausage smoker, haha.
I was looking at that one as well. It's a bit too big for my needs, or even my wants.

I have the LSG and love it. Only thing I did was added the 8" wheels
That's another upgrade I'd have to think about. If I keep it outside it'll be on concrete and really won't move unless I'm cooking in the rain where I'll roll it into my carport.

I might see how it goes and if I want bigger wheels I'll get them at the hardware store and do it myself.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky