WSM wont get hot!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jerseydrew

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 7, 2012
Its 40 degrees today. I filled fire ring half way started a 1/2 chimney and its been running wide open for 45min and won't go over 220. I was hoping to run @ 275 today for chicken. Any suggestions?

Looks like it had just stalled now its getting there

I would recommend getting a separate thermometer that monitors both the grill temperature as well as the meat temperature. I have noticed that the lid thermometer on my WSM takes a while to get to the temp I get on the grate and even when it does get to temp it reads lower.

1/2 ring and 1/2 chimmney.  That may be the problem--sounds like you didn't use enough charcoal.  Are you trying to do the Minion method? Are you using the water bowl? If so, is there water in teh bowl? Did you let the charcoal in the chimney get hot?

Would need more exact details.

I'm currenlty using my WSM, I'm smoking a turkey breast.  I need the temp at 325, so I filled 2 chimney's with charcoal.  No water in the water pan--I give it another hour and it'll be perfect.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky