Woody VS Lump Question ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

john c

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
The Big Smoke ,Toronto
A ? about wood, If I use straight wood for my heat source in firebox, whats stopping the meat from getting over smoked ?
Iam using lump now, but I'd like too try wood.

Gettin colder up here now! Great for beer but not the rear.
John C.

Using all wood is not all that different than using lump with wood chunk's.
An all wood fire requires you to make a bed of coal's and get your pit to temp before you add your meat, then your just adding a split or 2 whenever needed to keep the temp up..........not much more smoke than adding a chunk or 2 every so often.
Stick burner's do tend to foil though or you can get an oversmoke trying to get your meat to finished temp!
rolleyes.gif

Also dont just use hickory or apple or any other smoke wood. I like to mix with oak.. it will tone down the smoke and will give you good temps as well... Larger pits do well with this.
biggrin.gif

The only reason I even use charcoal (and only lump) is to get it all going and get my temp regulated. After that I use only hardwood. You should be regulating your level of smoke with your dampers and the quality/dryness of you wood anyway.

If you have a thin blue smoke you should be fine, regardless of the fuel.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky