First smoke set for tomorrow.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokerNTraining

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 31, 2023
Smoker: Masterbuilt MB20072918 40-inch Digital Electric
Wood: Cherry

My first smoker arrived today, and I finished the seasoning process this evening. The plan is to have a bunch of friends come over for a B-day brisket next week. I thought it would be wise to have a trial run smoke, prior to smoking a brisket for all those people.So I am going to be smoking 4 racks of baby backs tomorrow.

Up til now, the only person I know that uses a smoker if my father and his process is different than any I have found on sites/forums. For ribs and brisket:
  • add your rub the night before
  • Preheat smoker to 225
  • Add meat to racks and smoke with 3 hours
  • Remove from smoker and wrap tightly in foil
  • Continue cooking at 225 in the oven.
  • Remove around 190-195, open foil and add sauce or what not, close it back up and let it rest.
Whenever I have had his ribs/brisket, it was alway pretty good, but I don’t see this method on any sites or forums. Everyone seems to do the whole cook process in their smoker. I have read several posts advising the 2-2-1 method for baby backs. I think I’m getting confused on terminology.

- Ribs on the racks for 2 hours with the wood of your choice. (Father recommended Cherry)
- Then wrap the ribs for 2 hours with some type liquid
- Then remove from foil/paper and place back on the racks for another hour, or until finished.

My main question is, do you continue adding wood chips and smoke through each of these steps, or is it only during the first phase that you actually use wood? When they say put them back in and smoke for another hour or something like that, do they mean just putting them back in the smoker to cook or literally put them back in and start the smoke going again? Is there a reason people do the whole cook in the smoker vs 3 hours in the smoker and finishing in the oven?

So far what I have done tonight is:
  • Removed the silver on the ribs
  • Added dry rub (Texas BBQ place: Angelos)
  • Wrapped them all up on a large tray with saran wrap.
I would really appreciate any guidance to increase my chances of success tomorrow (9/1).

I have a mes 30, I dont wrap I just smoke the whole 5-6 hours at 225-250, so not much help there, as for the oven I dont think it would matter either way, smokers are just an oven that you could add smoke in my opinion. Once they're wrapped no need to add smoke then, but some people will add smoke when they unwrap some dont,probably just a personal preference. When you wrap put some in the oven and the others in the smoker adding more smoke when you unwrap and see what you like better.

Congrats on the new smoker. Good plan on a trial run.
I don't have any experience with an electric smoker either

Reactions: JLeonard
Your on the right track. I have done it both ways, wrapped and unwrapped. For babybacks, it falls pretty close to the 2-2-1 for me if wrapped. On your foil put down a few pads of butter, little brown sugar, and a little liquid ( apple juice, beer, etc ) and wrap up tight. After 4-4 1\2 hrs open foil and sauce. Smoke is only needed for first couple hrs.
I would "highly" suggest another digital thermometer inside to verify pit temps as the MES units are notorious for temps being off.
Just for peace of mind. Good luck !

Reactions: SmokerNTraining
I do the same as smokerjim smokerjim with my ribs - so no help there (MES40).

Some people think after 3 hours in smoke, the meat doesn't really pick up much more smoke flavor so that could be why your pops pulled at 3 hours. Its all a matter of personal preference.

I would suggest, with the brisket, going with what you know will work and modify your technique from there.
However, if it was me, I would probably smoke the brisket at least to the stall and then wrap it...but I do not do many briskets and by no means are a brisket expert.

Oh yeah...welcome to SMF. be sure to post pics of your smokes!

Welcome glad to have you on board. You will find many ways of
doing things on here and it will usually come down to personal preference.
Trial and error are your best teacher in my book to learn what you like and don't like.
I'm not a wrapper and I have seen many wrappers switch back to not wrapping.

Warren

I'm not a wrapper and I have seen many wrappers switch back to not wrapping.

Warren
What is the reason for wrapping? Is it for moisture retention? Pros and cons of wrap vs nonwrap? Is there already a good thread explaining/comparing that?

Reactions: JLeonard
moisture retention is a part of wrapping also I think it helps speed up the stall on things like briskets and butts. If you type in wrap or no wrap in the search bar there are threads that pop up about it.

Took em out to warm up a little as I start getting smoker ready for preheat. I didn’t really know how much rub to put on, so I just tried to cover the meat without caking it on. Hopefully this is a good amount.

Attachments

• IMG_3106.jpeg
    IMG_3106.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 16
2 hour mark.

I think I needed a lot more rub. I double foiled. Added butter and 1/3 cup apple juice each. Put em back in for the next 2 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_3109.jpeg
    IMG_3109.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: jaxgatorz
Welcome to SMF! And congrats on the new smoker.

I'm not great at ribs. I tried a few variations over the years. I settled on 3-2-1 method. I aim for the fall-off the bone, but it never seems to get that way in the end.

It’s stalled lol…. I wrapped em all in double heavy duty foil and hoping that will push it through the stall.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Did your Father have an electric smoker? If so, then I would follow his process, that has proven success. If not I would still do something as similar as possible. But, do you have your Father’s full recipe, including rubs & sauces? Most of the flavor comes from the rub & sauce. If you can get some good smoke flavor in there then you will have some great ribs. If you are looking for FOTB ribs then go to a IT of 205, if you want some bite, we like 195, so anywhere in between is where you may be! Good luck!
Al

Did your Father have an electric smoker? If so, then I would follow his process, that has proven success. If not I would still do something as similar as possible. But, do you have your Father’s full recipe, including rubs & sauces? Most of the flavor comes from the rub & sauce. If you can get some good smoke flavor in there then you will have some great ribs. If you are looking for FOTB ribs then go to a IT of 205, if you want some bite, we like 195, so anywhere in between is where you may be! Good luck!
Al
Yeah, the next time I will follow his recipe more closely. I was able to save yesterdays by wrapping tightly and putting into the oven to finish them. I’m glad I did this first smoke on the ribs before hitting a brisket on Wednesday. I learned a lot and that should help make it alittle smoother for the next smoke. It’s a marathon. I guess it’s a lot like they say with saltwater aquariums, nothing good happens fast. Low and slow.

Reactions: SmokinAl
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky