New to smoking and SMF

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SomeDudeOnline

Original poster
Apr 26, 2024
Hello all,

I'm going to be getting myself this simple smoker in about a week and am getting very excited about all of the delicious possibilities. I also don't really have any knowledge about smoking so I figured I should find a good forum so I can have a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips and be able to ask folks who know more than I do if I have a question that doesn't appear to have been answered (or answered in a way that I fully understand).

I wanted to make sure to get a smoker that can utilize chips because I have a woodworking hobby and have always just piled up my tiny scraps knowing they'll probably never get used, but also never have the heart to get rid of them. Now, I'll be able to use them to smoke (if the wood in question isn't a bad wood to smoke).

At the moment, my biggest questions are listed below (and may already be answered here on in the manual of the smoker I've yet to pickup). No pressure to answer as I haven't perused the forum much yet, but any time you want to save me would of course be appreciated :)
  1. Is there a relatively complete list of woods that should/shouldn't be used for smoking? I've already learned that I should avoid soft woods and woods that have a bunch of pitch but with my woodworking hobby, I have wood scraps from exotic woods that I'm curious about (padauk, ipe, purple heart, sapele, etc) and would of course like to utilize if it's safe to do so and may produce a good flavor.
  2. Sawdust... I also produce quite a bit of sawdust, particularly when I'm power carving something. It seems that sawdust can be used in at least some smokers so I'm hopeful that sawdust (ideally sawdust from a couple different woods) could be used in my smoker in place of or in addition to wood chips.
  3. Is mixing woods a bad idea? Good idea? depend on the woods being mixed?
  4. How about soaking woods in tequilla? Soaking wood in a used marinade? Using nuts in place of wood chips?
Thanks for having me!
Josh

Welcome from Virginia! I'd make an attempt at answering your questions but I took the day off from work and may or may not be day drinking... I'm sure you'll get some responses as you have landed in a great place full of great people. Again, welcome aboard!

Welcome from central Florida. Blink a few times and it will be NW Minnesota

There is an old thread that got resurrected that has some good info

Some say kiln dried wood is too dry and won't produce much smoke. I've used oak sawdust and was happy with the smolder.
No coniferous wood. Too much resins. This debateable, but no walnut. Some are sensitive to the stuff in walnut.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Welcome from central Florida. Blink a few times and it will be NW Minnesota

There is an old thread that got resurrected that has some good info

Some say kiln dried wood is too dry and won't produce much smoke. I've used oak sawdust and was happy with the smolder.
No coniferous wood. Too much resins. This debateable, but no walnut. Some are sensitive to the stuff in walnut.
Good stuff, thanks for the rerference!

Welcome to SMF from Central Missouri.

My buddy uses the MB Propane smoker and has made it do wonderful things.

Be sure to break it in before using! I am sure the Masterbuilt instruction manual will have the minimum recommended break in temp and duration.

I also would also be wary of using kiln dried wood. A bag of Apple, Hickory or whatever chips at Walmart is under $5 and will last quite a while.

Reactions: SomeDudeOnline
Welcome aboard...
1. Have to scroll down, but here's some good info...
I'm no help in regards to the exotic woods, but if you find out something about them, it would be beneficial to many others here.

2. Haven't ever used sawdust, but have read where many folks have with good results. I would be cautious using the dust from the exotics until I knew they were safe and good for smoking.

3. I mix woods all the time. I have Hickory, Oak (red & white), Maple, Cherry (Black Cherry), and Plum.

4. I never soak wood. Can't really believe there's a benefit. I have used dry hickory nuts, but they can pop...

Hello all,

I'm going to be getting myself this simple smoker in about a week and am getting very excited about all of the delicious possibilities. I also don't really have any knowledge about smoking so I figured I should find a good forum so I can have a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips and be able to ask folks who know more than I do if I have a question that doesn't appear to have been answered (or answered in a way that I fully understand).

I wanted to make sure to get a smoker that can utilize chips because I have a woodworking hobby and have always just piled up my tiny scraps knowing they'll probably never get used, but also never have the heart to get rid of them. Now, I'll be able to use them to smoke (if the wood in question isn't a bad wood to smoke).

At the moment, my biggest questions are listed below (and may already be answered here on in the manual of the smoker I've yet to pickup). No pressure to answer as I haven't perused the forum much yet, but any time you want to save me would of course be appreciated :)
  1. Is there a relatively complete list of woods that should/shouldn't be used for smoking? I've already learned that I should avoid soft woods and woods that have a bunch of pitch but with my woodworking hobby, I have wood scraps from exotic woods that I'm curious about (padauk, ipe, purple heart, sapele, etc) and would of course like to utilize if it's safe to do so and may produce a good flavor.
  2. Sawdust... I also produce quite a bit of sawdust, particularly when I'm power carving something. It seems that sawdust can be used in at least some smokers so I'm hopeful that sawdust (ideally sawdust from a couple different woods) could be used in my smoker in place of or in addition to wood chips.
  3. Is mixing woods a bad idea? Good idea? depend on the woods being mixed?
  4. How about soaking woods in tequilla? Soaking wood in a used marinade? Using nuts in place of wood chips?
Thanks for having me!
Josh
Josh,
Great answers already on the thread, I have added my opinions/answers below:

1- Rule of thumb, hardwood or fruit/nut woods. Be careful with some hardwoods like Mesquite and Hickory as they can overpower your food and be quite bitter. Milder hardwoods like: Oak, Pecan, Maple, and fruitwoods like Apple, Cherry, Orange, Peach, etc.. are all good options for a light smoke on fish and eggs, I like Alderwood.
2- I would be careful with Sawdust and ensure it is from untreated woods. I use it to smoke cheese.
3- Absolutely not, it is a great idea. My favorite blend for pork is a blend of Pecan, Cherry and Apple
4- I do not like soaking woods at all.

Welcome to SMF from North Texas!

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky