Who cuts their own wood? How to organize?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cast_Iron

Original poster
Feb 6, 2017
I am lucky enough to live on a large enough property where I cut my own wood for heat and the smoker.

I am having trouble keeping all the smoker wood separated and organized (oak, hickory, apple, persimmon, cherry, etc.)

Some woods are easy enough to tell apart, but sometime they can be confusing, especially for others when they stop by to grab some.

Input would be appreciated on how to organize.

Reactions: JLeonard
I sure wish I had that problem! All we have are oaks, more oaks, and a few cedars here on our place. I have seen some friends in East Texas make different rick racks for each type of wood. Another I know "dots" the ends with a paint pen.

I sure wish I had that problem! All we have are oaks, more oaks, and a few cedars here on our place. I have seen some friends in East Texas make different rick racks for each type of wood. Another I know "dots" the ends with a paint pen.
I thought about the paint pen, and I know it's a small amount, but I didn't know if the paint would taint the smoke at all.

Go to the first post...

Go to the first post...
That’s exactly my thought as how to organize. Simple enough.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
The biggest problem is trying to keep too many varieties of wood.

Simplify things folks.
I agree, but I have such a hard time tossing these speciality woods out for use in a burn barrel and fire pit.

I only keep the apple. Do the sawing on a trap and use the saw chips with the smaller limbs cut into 1" rings for the smoking. One old apple tree will provide many years of smoking for two people. Saw chips are kept in a burlap bag along with the blocks in a 55gal steel barrel with lid.

I don't know how much wood you need to store but I made two wood cribs from PVC and they work fine.

Attachments

• wood_crib_cr.jpg
    wood_crib_cr.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 6
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky