Whole turkey - help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ronda1796

Original poster
Sep 16, 2016
Washington
Hi everyone,

I am attempting my first first whole turkey. I'm using a Bradley electric smoker, by the way, with a 14lb pre-injected turkey that was defrosted before the brine.

While reading the threads i agree with the Slaughterhouse brine , and i have decided to not inject for this first run - I really dont like salty. So after 20 hours of brining and 12 hours now of uncovered sitting in the fridge, I guess I'm ready to throw it in to the smoker... but what should i rub it with? Butter? High quality olive oil? Herbs?

Thanks for any help, i was so confident in my first approach until now when i have to do... something.

I like to put butter under the skin & olive oil on the outside, then use Montreal chicken seasoning for the rub.

If you have the room in your smoker, I would spatchcock the bird too.

It will cook faster & more evenly.

Al

Ditto Al.... Spatchcocking would be great if you have room. I have also started ti remove the actual ribs when I prep. It makes slicing really great. I use butter inside and out with SPOG and a little Weber Kickin Chicken on top.

Jeff has a recipe for a buttermilk brine in the newsletter archives that is really good?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky