Whole Top Sirloin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
It's funny how sometimes I can look for something forever and not find it, tri-tip being one, and other times when I'm not really looking, something will find me. Well today was the latter. I was at a local grocer looking for fresh local peaches and I always cruise the meat case just in case, when I saw this...
Top Sirloin.jpg

...a whole top sirloin without a price. So out of curiosity I asked the market manager, who was standing nearby, about it. He said that was the last one they had and if I wanted it, he would make me a deal. Now this is not USDA Choice, it's select grade, but for $1.99/lb, I couldn't pass it up. It's 11.7 lbs, got a decent fat cap, but appears to have minimal marbling.

So my plans are to age it for maybe 4 weeks and then smoke it or maybe just go ahead and smoke it at the next opportunity. We like our beef rare, maybe medium rare at most and I'm open to any suggestions as to preparation for the smoker.

If you had this, what would you do with it?

Wow! Heck of a deal.
I think I would age it, then slice some thick steaks. 1 1/2 to 2” be much easier to sear and keep some life in it. Nice find.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
11 pounds is a lot of Beef. I'd cut Steaks or separate at the natural seam into a Picanha and a Top Sirloin Roast or Steaks. Select does not necessarily mean tough with the more tender cuts...JJ

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Wow! Heck of a deal.
I think I would age it, then slice some thick steaks. 1 1/2 to 2” be much easier to sear and keep some life in it. Nice find.
If I do cut steaks, they would definitely be THICK.
dry brine with corned beef spices

then cover in ground coriander and black pepper, smoke and make pastrami

That's an interesting thought and isn't something I had considered.
11.7 lbs? Wow! I would slice it into steaks, myself....
11 pounds is a lot of Beef. I'd cut Steaks or separate at the natural seam into a Picanha and a Top Sirloin Roast or Steaks. Select does not necessarily mean tough with the more tender cuts...JJ
Aging and steaks or smoking whole was what I was thinking. When the whole gang is here, I'll be cooking for around 20-25 people.

Aging and steaks or smoking whole was what I was thinking. When the whole gang is here, I'll be cooking for around 20-25 people.

If you are going to feed a crowd, Aged and Smoked Whole is a good option. Served med/rare, Au Jus, Baked Red Sweet Potatoes in their Jacket, with Cinnamon/Chipotle Honey Butter and Green Beans sautéed in Brown Butter, is one of my favorite meals. Don't forget to have plenty of Crusty French or Sour Dough Bread to soak up all the Jus and flavorful Butter on the plate...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky