Sirloin for Fajita

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
tallbm tallbm Any chance you'd be willing to share that recipe?
Sure thing!

Beef Fajita Marinade
For about 3.5 - 4 pounds of meat:
  • 1 cup Soy Sauce (yep soy sauce, and it also eliminates need for salt)
  • 2 cups REAL Pineapple Juice - NOT from concentrate (Dole brand in the big can or 6 pack of cans is the only real NOT from concentrate I come across. It is absolutely does not work to use a FROM concentrate off the store shelf)
  • Black Pepper
  • Onion (granulated, powder, or dehydrated/minced)
  • Garlic (granulated or powder)
  • Chili Powder
  • 1tsp Ground Cumin

Instructions:
  • Season meat liberally with Black Pepper, Onion, Garlic, Chili Powder
  • Add to a container or a big ziplock bag
  • Add Soy Sauce
  • Add REAL Pineapple juice
  • Add 1tsp of Ground Cumin, spreading all over
  • Mix it all around to juices and ground cumin distribute
  • Marinate 12 - 24 hours (or longer)
  • Get grill SEARING hot and grill meat rare to med-rare
  • IMPORTANT: Mop the meat with this marinade while grilling/flipping. Just be sure enough heat hits marinated sides before you pull off the grill... so the flame can kill any bacteria in the marinade from it sitting with raw meat.
    Do a final mop on each side with heat before pulling off the grill.
The real NOT from concentrate Pineapple juice adds AMAZING flavor to the meat. You get a double whammy from it that people often don't realize!

This makes the best tasting fajitas I've ever had. Feel free to try it and adjust seasonings as you like.

There you go. Hope you enjoy :D

Last edited:
2 cups REAL Pineapple Juice - NOT from concentrate (Fresh Squeezed or Dole brand in the big can or 6 pack of cans is the only real NOT from concentrate I come across. It is absolutely does not work to use a FROM concentrate off the store shelf)
Carlo, seems like leaving it that long in pineapple juice would turn meat to mush?

Carlo, seems like leaving it that long in pineapple juice would turn meat to mush?
Good question!
I've, never had it go to mush on me. Ground meat I think might get really mushy like people report when attempting pineapple sausage with fresh pineapple.

Also, I can't think of I've let it marinate for more than like 24-36 hours so might happen more at the 48hr+ mark if it happens.

I might have to buy some inexpensive petite sirloin and test out like a 36, 48, and 72hr marinade hahaha. Would be a fun experiment, but that would be like 12 pounds of meat to deal with over a 3 day period hahaha :D

Maybe someone who has done a tone of pineapple marinating on whole cuts of beef can chime in with their experiences.

I've also done it with Venison top and bottom round and those very lean cuts have never gotten mushy.

I've, never had it go to mush on me. Ground meat I think might get really mushy like people report when attempting pineapple sausage with fresh pineapple.
I keep chunks of frozen pineapple in freezer to use for tenderizer. I grate into marinade. I only use one chunk now as if use to much it makes meat mushy. The stuff in the can wont do it though. Once pineapple been processed it kills off the bromelain.

Reactions: tallbm
Fantastic . Sirloin doesn't get the credit it deserves . I think I'd save it all for steaks . Bust out the mesquite .

Reactions: Retired Spook
A center portion marinating in:

1/2-C EVOO
1/2-C orange juice
1/4-C fresh squeezed lime juice
1-tsp Kosher salt
1-1/2 tsp ground cumin
1-tsp hot red chile powder
5-cloves chopped garlic
1-Serrano pepper seeds removed chopped fine and
1/2 c chopped cilantro

IMG_1980.JPG

I keep chunks of frozen pineapple in freezer to use for tenderizer. I grate into marinade. I only use one chunk now as if use to much it makes meat mushy. The stuff in the can wont do it though. Once pineapple been processed it kills off the bromelain.
Ah mystery solved!
I guess my meat choice and cooking method just ensures it being tender more than any of the juice does to tenderize it.

Updated post to only reference canned Dole Pineapple juice to avoid any unwanted mush behavior :)

A center portion marinating in:

1/2-C EVOO
1/2-C orange juice
1/4-C fresh squeezed lime juice
1-tsp Kosher salt
1-1/2 tsp ground cumin
1-tsp hot red chile powder
5-cloves chopped garlic
1-Serrano pepper seeds removed chopped fine and
1/2 c chopped cilantro

View attachment 677377
Grilled this over mesquite coals and myself and a neighbor ate it. I didn't take any photos of it sliced because after tasting the first piece the food-fest was on.

IMG_1982.JPG

Really a great piece of meat grilled perfect rare/medium-rare and sliced thin across the grain. The marinade was nice but not the exact Carne Asada profile I was hoping for. Not bad at all but not a marinade recipe I would use again.

Great piece of meat.

Next one I grill is going to be straight salt, pepper and garlic, and onto the grill. Cooked rare and sliced across the grain it is a fabulous piece of beef.

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks and sounds wonderful RS, and finished to perfection.

Point for sure
Chris

Words are just not enough...

Kosher salt, granulated garlic and granulated onion - seared.
View attachment 677292

View attachment 677293

Just superb (maybe a bit rare for some of you folks but perfect for me) - tender, juicy (obviously), excellent flavor - in my humble opinion FAR better than any flank steak or any skirt that I have ever eaten.
I can eat sirloin rare like that due to the low fat content. Anything with more fat I have to cook a little more. I do not do rare fat. Beautiful little morsels right there!

I will be making my first trip to a HEB. Anything I should look for?
I've not had a bad one yet so if they have them you should be happy with them!

They were so good I bought a 12-pound cryovac of them and I have a stack of individual portions in the freezer! Next cryovac I will leave 2 whole (there were 4 in the cryovac) so I can grill them whole.

I just made a bowl of Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) and I used a piece of sirloin bavette flap sliced very thin against the grain and man oh man that was freakin delicious!

When I lived in Honolulu there was a Vietnamese Pho place on King Street downtown that was 6-stars top shelf better than any Vietnamese place I have been to since. Their Pho was phenomenal and could be ordered with "sirloin" or flank steak - and the meat was always high quality and they were not stingy. Today's sirloin bavette flap Pho had me reminiscing about the good ole days big time...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky