Sirloin for Fajita

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
During my Steak Fajita Trials... I came across some "butterflied sirloin for fajitas" at the local HEB, and it was so good that I bought a cryovac of it this morning, and got a $2.00 per pound break (likely because there will be some waste?).

IMG_1973.JPG

The meat cutter I spoke to said that these (there are 3 in that package - we'll see when I cut it open) come from the Bavette - I have no clue but I do know that the butterflied versions I bought from HEB for fajitas were superb compared to skirt steaks.

I will post more photos when I break the package down.

Comes from the bottom sirloin . I use the knuckles that from the top sirloin .
That would be a great on the grill .

Reactions: Retired Spook
Sirloin bavette flap is exactly what the meat cutter called it! :emoji_thumbsup:

There were 4 bavette flaps in the cryovac. This is one after trimming and cutting into portions - I have a stack of them all zip-locked and in the freezer along with 2 very nice large center cut portions for grilling.

I did not count them all but it is safe to say there is enough for a while!

IMG_1975.JPG

During my Steak Fajita Trials... I came across some "butterflied sirloin for fajitas" at the local HEB, and it was so good that I bought a cryovac of it this morning, and got a $2.00 per pound break (likely because there will be some waste?).

View attachment 677232

The meat cutter I spoke to said that these (there are 3 in that package - we'll see when I cut it open) come from the Bavette - I have no clue but I do know that the butterflied versions I bought from HEB for fajitas were superb compared to skirt steaks.

Oh you will do well turning these into Fajitas.

I've turned many a plain on sale sirloin or petite sirlion into marinated Fajitas.

Many years ago I managed to finagle the beef fajita marinade recipe out of the people at a great Tex-Mex restaurant I lived next door to for like 12 years. They always had the best tasting beef fajitas... in the evening.
Why the evening? Because the meat had been marinating closer to 24 hours around that time lol

That's a lot of meat there.
Flap meat is very fibrous and can be very good if cooked right. Based on what I've seen of your previous cooks, I'm sure it will turn out great.

I had to have some, so, I sprinkled a little Kosher salt on some of the trimmings and seared them, then chopped it up and put it in a heated Mission soft burrito tortilla with some roasted tomato salsa, Kraft extra sharp cheddar cheese, and some of my toasted ghost pepper hot sauce and...

My God...

That stuff is fricken good!

Reactions: tallbm and chopsaw

View attachment 677232

Man that looks nice. It bugs the F@#k out of me when the meat shop has nice outside skirt "on sale" for $9.99/lb. Back when I had my bar/restaurant the locker plant threw the skirt into the hamburger bin to grind for "high test" hamburger. Since the Chimichure mofo's came along, it's now high falutin meat. When they have the $9.99 sale we always have a discussion whether to have fajitas, or my way....spg and a light marinade the sear the bajesus out of it on he griddle then rest slice and eat. I don't care for fajitas unless we splurge and go the a restaurant where they bring it out sizzling. When you're "kitchening" its hard to keep all the stuffing hot to make the fajitas. I like it presented so I can eat.

Man that looks nice. It bugs the F@#k out of me when the meat shop has nice outside skirt "on sale" for $9.99/lb. Back when I had my bar/restaurant the locker plant threw the skirt into the hamburger bin to grind for "high test" hamburger. Since the Chimichure mofo's came along, it's now high falutin meat. When they have the $9.99 sale we always have a discussion whether to have fajitas, or my way....spg and a light marinade the sear the bajesus out of it on he griddle then rest slice and eat. I don't care for fajitas unless we splurge and go the a restaurant where they bring it out sizzling. When you're "kitchening" its hard to keep all the stuffing hot to make the fajitas. I like it presented so I can eat.
These bavette flaps are much better than any skirt steak I have ever had. :emoji_thumbsup:

Oh you will do well turning these into Fajitas.

I've turned many a plain on sale sirloin or petite sirlion into marinated Fajitas.

Many years ago I managed to finagle the beef fajita marinade recipe out of the people at a great Tex-Mex restaurant I lived next door to for like 12 years. They always had the best tasting beef fajitas... in the evening.
Why the evening? Because the meat had been marinating closer to 24 hours around that time lol
tallbm tallbm Any chance you'd be willing to share that recipe?

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Next time I buy these I am going to leave two whole, because I have no doubt they will be superb cooked over a fire.

Reactions: chopsaw
Words are just not enough...

Kosher salt, granulated garlic and granulated onion - seared.
IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1978.JPG

Just superb (maybe a bit rare for some of you folks but perfect for me) - tender, juicy (obviously), excellent flavor - in my humble opinion FAR better than any flank steak or any skirt that I have ever eaten.

Words are just not enough...

Kosher salt, granulated garlic and granulated onion - seared.
View attachment 677292

View attachment 677293

Just superb (maybe a bit rare for some of you folks but perfect for me) - tender, juicy (obviously), excellent flavor - in my humble opinion FAR better than any flank steak or any skirt that I have ever eaten.
Wow absolutely amazing!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky