Where to put the ashes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pug mom

Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
As a 15th anniversary present to each other, my husband and I built a deck on our townhome. We LOVE it. We have moved our smoker onto the deck, and now I need a safe ash can that can stay outside to safely put the ashes from the smoker in that won't scorch the deck. You all were wonderful in your suggestions about the grill mat, so now I am hoping you can help me with this. I am thinking about putting a galvanized steel pail with a lid on an elevated metal plant stand. Do you think this would work? It's not a ton of ashes; my smoker only uses 2 oz of wood chunks per 10 pounds of meat and has a max load of 35 pounds of meat.

If you have other suggestions, would you please provide links to specific products? THANKS!!!

That would work. Just be careful, if it is really windy out that can may fall over. Also, wait to clean out your smoker. (like the next day) so you don’t have to place the can on the elevated stand and the chance of it tipping over. Lastly, wood ash is good for the garden! We use it in our garden! (No charcoal ash, not good)

I use one of those galvanized buckets. The handle is designed to seal the lid on tight.You wouldn't need a plant stand. Pick up a 1 foot square cement paver from HD or Lowes for a couple bucks. Heck, 4 bricks for 40 cents a piece would work too.

I use mine for ashes from my Kettle and my smoker. I also keep it under the side burner of my gas grill, which I use for a charcoal starter for my chimney. Any hot embers fall right into the bucket. Just missed an example. BSC thighs grill smoking on the Kettle.

002.JPG

I agree a small metal trash can with a locking lid works perfectly. We use one for the ashes in our home heating pellet stove.

Chris

Those lids fit really tight right out of the box. The locking part of the bail is just added insurance.

That would work. Just be careful, if it is really windy out that can may fall over. Also, wait to clean out your smoker. (like the next day) so you don’t have to place the can on the elevated stand and the chance of it tipping over. Lastly, wood ash is good for the garden! We use it in our garden! (No charcoal ash, not good)

THIS.

Reactions: Scott "Stu" Stewart
I have the same bucket as Ray has, you can put hot coals in it & shut the lid, or pour some water in it to put the fire out immediately.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky