Sons of the American Legion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

IA pigsNcrops

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 6, 2019
A new Sons of the American legion started in our town a couple of years ago. I am looking for any suggestions on activities/ fun events to get some members involved. We have probably 30-50 members, but only get 5-8 at the meetings. We do a couple of fundraisers a year to raise money for some activities and donations to the community. Just thought I would see if anyone here has an active group or any suggestions on what we can do get more members involved. Thanks

I'm a SAL Detachment (state) Vice Commander in NY and a long time squadron commander. A couple things that might help:
1. Set up an email list of your membership and send out reminders for your meetings. Make sure your meeting night is consistent. (for example: 2nd Tuesday of the month at 7:30)
2. Have some food either before or after the meeting. Get the info about the food out in your meeting reminder email.
3.Don't accept "ghost members". In other words, if someone wants to join, they have to come to the next meeting with their application and dues. Someone who's a guest at the post lounge and gets talked into joining will probably never show up again. If they really want to join they'll come to the meeting.
4. Do something fun. Spend a little money on your membership. Every dollar you raise doesn't have to go to donations. Have a BBQ or a party for your guys and their wives/families/girlfriends.
5. Publicize your successes. when you do raise money for something, do a local press release. Generate a little buzz about your s. squadron. Success is contagious and everyone wants to be part of a winning team.
6. Call those guys who are "on the bubble". The guys who you think just need a little nudge to get them into being more active. Reaching out to them can make all the difference.
7. Follow all the protocols for running a meeting. Don't just say the pledge and get started. Trust me, your guys will enjoy the "by the book" ritual.
8. Make sure you build a partnership with your post and participate as a squadron in Memorial Day and Veterans Day services. Placing flags at the cemetery prior to Memorial Day is a very rewarding and important part of what we do.
9. Convince your guys to buy the uniform cap. When you're out there doing your thing, it tells people who we are.

Just some ideas. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky